GO!

Are there really no black boxers?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boa

If I am awake, I- am up to no- good.

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 7:30am PST 
I belong to the Boxerworld forums, but one of their rules are no discussion about black boxers because they do not exist. They state its not possible, and if you have a black boxer its either a really dark brindle or a mix, period.

My neighbor has 2 boxers (a brother and sister), one is a beautiful fawn, like Boa, and the other is completely black except for a white chest, and I forget what color his feet are. The look exactly the same except for the colors. The black one has every single characteristic of a boxer, and does not look like a mix even a little bit. So is this really true? Since he is black, there is no possibility that he is a pure breed boxer? Its hard to believe looking at him, and seeing how pure his sister looks as well.
[notify]
Sam

Is it time for- my nap yet?

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 10:23pm PST 
Hi Boa!wave

I am AKC registered as a Brindle Boxer. That said, I am pretty darn black.

I'll be honest, one of the reasons I am not to fond of the BW forums is that if they don't agree with something it is a "taboo" topic. The reasoning is that there is no black gene for Boxers. That said, if you repeatedly breed the darkest brindle with the darkest brindle, it is possible to get a dog pretty close to solid black. I think technically, they are not black, but they certainly look black and have been called everything from "reverse brindle" to "sealed brindle."

All that aside, breeding specifically for color is not a good thing. When dogs are bred solely based upon their color can and does lead to a lot of different health problems that are genetic, including eye problems like distachia, heart problems, hip and joint problems, and cancers.

Edited by author Thu Jan 21, '10 10:23pm PST

[notify]
Boa

If I am awake, I- am up to no- good.

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 1:03pm PST 
Sam, you are adorable. And yes, you look pretty damned black. BOL. I am not interested in breeding, just find it hard to believe there are no purebred black boxers when we encounter beautiful boxers like you. smile
[notify]

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 3:15pm PST 
big laughbig laughbig laugh "There is no such thing as a black boxer"

*Sam walks in wave*

big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Sam, you are GORGEOUS by the way.

I don't really have much input on the matter. Although I've heard that "black" Boxers are considered reverse seal. thinking

Sam- in the sun light do you have stripes??

I actually know a few "black" boxers and they sure look black to me.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:42pm PST 
Chewie, when Sam was young you could clearly see some faint striping in his coat along his back, now it's almost impossible although you can see a faint brindle line right behind his head.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:49pm PST 
Oh, and check out
www.kenonboxers.com
to see some REALLY cute pics of some black boxer puppies.

IMHO, they do breed a lot- but they have a lot of Boxers. They do show, especially in Canada where Black Boxers are more acceptable, but they are "good" breeders. They use the same vet we used for Max and Xena's crop. Not a puppy mill, not BYB's, but not exactly the best breeders, either. That said, I've spoken with Ken several times and he is very kind and obviously cares for his dogs. I would have no problem with one of his dogs. BTW, they are white Boxer friendly, though I can't recall ever seeing it posted on his site. Just before anyone makes any comments because they do have litters pretty frequently- and they also use artificial insemination a lot.. Anyways- obviously I've a lot of interest in his kennels because it's one of the few by us that show Boxers at all! BTW- no, this is not Sam's breeder. His really sucked. wink
[notify]
Saylor Jerri

is spoiled- rotten!

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 4:40pm PST 
Saylor too is a "black boxer" but her coat is just very, very brindle, I still say black becuase honestly she's more black then brindle, and she's an AKC purebred. So I don't really care what other people say, I agree that she's pretty darn black to me smile lol!
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 4:49am PST 
Black boxers are genetically impossible. To get a "black boxer" yes it would have to be mixed with something. Blacks are really boxers who are heavily brindled or more commonly known as reverse sealed brindle. "Black boxers" is basically a term that BYB's use to say that they have a rare color of boxer when in truth they don't because a boxer can't be plain black.

I was once a member of BW, but was banned because of something really stupid, but I can't remember. I might suggested that you join Boxerforums.org It a great community, but recently created as our old BF was sold and changed and we didn't like the adverts from BYB's etc.
[notify]
Elika

Squishy Face

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 8:41pm PST 
The last I heard, the AKC boxer breeders did not accept black as a color, and suggested that black boxers were "tainted" or crossbred with pit bulls or other breeds. However, I have seen beautiful dogs which appeared to be in keeping with the boxer conformation standard which were black without any brindle in evidence. They did have white markings on the chest, face and legs but not in excess of the breed standard. Years ago I sought either a black or a white boxer and I was reviled for the black choice i.e. "there is no such thing." I did find a beautiful white boxer, who is deaf, as many white boxers are. She is spayed. The same breeder now has a black bitch who conforms in all manner to the breed standard except color.
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 6:00pm PST 
No matter what--you black boxers are beautiful. I am not a genetics expert, and know little about breeding. Sallie Mae was spayed at 6 months, as all my other breeds have been. Do black boxers have a specific problrm that they are prone to having, or is it that just in general--they are more prone to boxer health problems? Some sure look black to me, and I do understand what the breed says about blacks not being possible. White boxers are also impressive, and I do realize that they are not genetically a good thing. What bothers me, is when whites are said to be rare, and the person getting them, does not realize their problems. We have a neighbor who had one that lived with him for a couple of years. This family did no research about owning a boxer and was walking him one day a few months ago--and asked if they could walk with us. During this walk--I asked if he was deaf. The female says--"that's why he never comes when called." In 2 weeks the dog left their house and was replaced with a doberman. To me this is such a sad situation--they don't deserve to have any type of dog!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2