GO!

TOTW AND VERY GASSY POM'S

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boo

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 8:01pm PST 
Hi I am hoping someone can help me I have had my girl's on totw for about 6 months to well al,ost a year and they always have the wooorrrsstt gas PU is the protein juat to much for them? I was thinking of switching over to Instinct duck, Is Instinct a better quality of food? What do you guy's think?
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 8:26pm PST 
Are you feeding them the fish formula? That is a bit rich for some dogs. I have read that high protein can cause issues with some dogs and have considered scaling down a bit myself.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 3:47am PST 
You could add some probiotics to help with it. I have some Nutri-Vet from Petco. Follow the label instructions. That should cut down the smell a lot.
[notify]

Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 4:40am PST 
Quincy's gas got much, much stinkier when he switched to TOTW, but as I understand it, that's pretty common with most grain-free, protein-foscused foods. I use a human acidophillus supplement (probiotic) and it's helped tremendously. With Quincy (75 pounds) I use two capsules a day, with the pups (Flynn, 17 pounds, RIley, 25 pounds) they each get one. They also get plain organic yogurt added in as well. It's great that he gets the grain-free benefits (I've cleaned his ears maybe 3 times, not including after swims, since switching to TOTW, and it used to be a nightly thing). Probiotics helped a lot, and I highly recommend them.
[notify]
Mouse

Mouse (Short for- Minnie Mouse)

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 6:26pm PST 
Well thank's for all the good advice I appreciate it very much.. I was also kinda worried cuz one of my girl's has been really gassy and she has lost alot of weight so I was maybe thinking it could be dome dort of bacteria but hopefully it is just the food.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 6:49pm PST 
Allee and Bama eat TOTW and I haven't noticed any gas.

I did noticed that a probiotic helped Brodie...and he used to have stinky gas.
[notify]
Mesa

ummm.... can you- repeat that- please?

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 8:55pm PST 
each food affects dogs differently. We fed TOTW and my girls loved it but Mesa's body needs grains or we get full anal sacs (the hard poo irritates them). It might just be that their recipe isn't right for your pups
[notify]
Boo

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 6:16pm PST 
Thank's Mesa now that you have mentioned anal sac's one of my girl's anal sacs are always full and they dont really seem to have firm stool is that normal?
[notify]
Mesa

ummm.... can you- repeat that- please?

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 6:20pm PST 
We had firm stools but it could be your diet that is causing anal sac issues. It could also be an allergy. Sadly it varies greatly between pups frown
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:52pm PST 
Really gassy AND losing weight might be symptoms of intestinal parasites. Maybe get a stool sample checked out by the vet?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2