GO!

How Do I Tell If My Yorkie Is Pregnant?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Vance

A Bossy Yorkie

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 1:36am PST 
The dog is not actually mine, but I have been watching her for a friend this month who is on her honeymoon. It is a female Yorkie and she is not spayed. She has been laying in one corner of the room, vomiting only in the morning, and her stomach is a bit larger than it was when I first got her. I was thinking of taking her to the vet or calling her owner. She did mention she was in heat a few weeks ago and I am nervous she might be pregnant!
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 8:00am PST 
If she's laying around and vomiting, that probably calls for a trip to the veterinarian.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 8:42am PST 
I second that.

Do call her owner and tell her. And, please tell the owner to have her spayed ASAP.
[notify]

Isy

Anything if you- just throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 10:30am PST 
If she was in heat only a few weeks ago her belly should not be getting much bigger yet if she was pregnant. Although I've heard mention of people with pregnant dogs that experience morning sickness, I've never actually seen it myself and would be rather concerned if mine were to start vomiting. IMHO, it sounds more like an infection than a pregnancy. I'd take her into the vet for a quick check up just to be safe.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 4:14pm PST 
If you haven't gotten her to vet yet, please do it now! When I was a teenager, our Cocker had exactly those symptoms plus a fever, and it turned out to be a uterine infection (parents though they "might breed her someday" and didn't get her spayed shrug). They had to spay her to fix the infection, and I think the high fever messed with her brain, because she was prone to random violent outbursts after that, and we eventually had to have her put down after she tore into my nephew's face.

Please! Get her to a vet!
[notify]
B.J., CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 5:00pm PST 
The word we're searching for here is pyometria, which is a uterine infection and which can very quickly become fatal. Normal treatment is to get the dog stablized then do a spay. Outcome is not great since most pyo's end up causing a systematic infection and the major organs are usually infected as well. This most often shows up 3 to 4 weeks after a bitch has been in heat. Sooo... with what you have said, you do need to get her to a vet immediately, like an emergency clinic and not waiting until tomorrow.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 5:38pm PST 
It could also be an intestinal blockage. However, the vet will tell you when you take her.
If you haven't a treatment consent form from the dog's owners, get them to fax you one, preferably notarized, asap.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 2:18am PST 
Why didn't these people spay their poor dog? Pregnant dogs sleep, vomit, have big stomachs, and you should probably take this dog to the vet.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 2:21pm PST 
I've never had a pregnant dog that vomited a lot, and really didn't notice an increase in sleep.
[notify]