GO!

I need some advice

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Romeo

New Kid on the- Block

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 1:11pm PST 
Wednesday night I took my dogs for their regular vet visit. The vet said Romeo was in good health, his heart and lungs were good. etc. He got his rabies shot,Leptospirosis vaccine and Dhpp. When we got home he was sick to his stomack, but he get car sick so I didn't take notice. That night he started drooling all over the place, copious amounts. Thursday he seemed hisself, running around and barking, eating and drinking. Then last night it happened again, he soaked everything. Today I called the vet and he said it could be an allergic reaction and to give him a half of adult benydryl 3 times a day. Well he had his first pill and is still drooling big time. I don't want to give him another one if it's not helping. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please help.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 4:36pm PST 
I would call and speak to a different vet, or take him in to a different vet. How scary.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 4:46pm PST 
I second Sedona's suggestion and here's one you should keep for the future:

We never, ever, vaccinate the dogs with more than 1 shot at a time. The DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis (Adenovirus), Parvovirus and Parainfluenza), Rabies, AND a Lepto shot is way too much for one dog all at once.

At the very most do the combination DHPP shot and wait at least a month between that and the rabies and then the lepto.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 5:17pm PST 
To add to what Lilith said, separating vaccinations is also important in case there is a reaction. When you take them all together, you don't know which one caused the reaction. Additionally it really overloads the immune system getting that many shots all at once.
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 6:00pm PST 
I hope another vet can help you... that is scary and while it might be nausea making him drool I dont think its worth the risk.

I actually wouldn't even GIVE a small dog a lepto shot, period, let alone at the same time as other vacs. Sorry that has happened to you!
[notify]
Fred

Seriously, just- leave me alone.

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 6:07pm PST 
We don't do the Lepto either. And Fred used to have some pretty awful reactions when we did them all together. We do the vaccines at least a week apart, and never when the dog is feeling ill or might have a compromised immune system. Vaccines can cause nausea, which explains the vomiting at least and could expain the drool. Any other symptoms? Can you check his gums? If you press on them they should turn white and then back to a healthy pink color in less than 2 seconds. Can you check his temp? Those things will help you decide whether you should give him another benadryl and wait it out or take him to another vet asap. It can take a couple of doses for the benadryl to really show any improvement, and it won't hurt him, so if everything else points towards a vaccine reaction and he is not having difficulty breathing, I'd continue with the benadryl and see how he is tomorrow. hug
[notify]
Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 7:22pm PST 
I would follow everyone elses advice and make sure to separate the vaccines out, and ask your vet about the risks of Leptospirosis in your area, as in our area it's not really a big issue, and Lepto is one of the most common vaccines that dogs have allergic reactions too. I would give the benadryl and maybe contact the vet again and push the issue, there are different drugs they can give to counteract the effects of the vaccines (flucort, vetalog, are just a few that we use at the vet hospital I work at usually in conjunction with Benadryl).
[notify]
Romeo

New Kid on the- Block

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 10:03pm PST 
an update, we took Romeo back to the vets tonight because he was still drooling. They don't know what is causing this, they gave us sucralfate 1gm for him to take 1/2 3 times a day. Of course the whole time he was there he didn't drool one bit! They didn't charge us for the visit or meds which was good. Wednesday cost me $250.00. Well as soon as we got home, Romeo threw up and has thrown up 3 more times and is still drooling. So I guess we will be going back tomorrow. I thank you all for your advice and concern. Will let you know how things turn out.
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Sat Nov 28, '09 1:56am PST 
Oh no! I hope that the vet can figure this out. hug
[notify]
Tango

just a goofy boy

Barked: Sat Nov 28, '09 7:19am PST 
Oh no poor Romeo! I hope he feels better soon!

My dogs always stop limping , whining etc when at the vets.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2