GO!

Help me make a list of Ethoxyquin free dog foods

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Thu Nov 26, '09 8:55am PST 
Hi,

I think it is always good to know which dog food brands do not use Ethoxyquin anywhere in the process of preserving proteins in their foods (protein distributors included).

Help me make a list! I will start with the food we are currently feeding Jasper:

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

-Ethoxyquin Free Dog Foods-

1. Wellness CORE- in all varieties

Edited by author Thu Nov 26, '09 8:56am PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Nov 26, '09 10:52am PST 
I will add :

Holistic Blend ( its Canadian and available at the grocery store and online smile )

I have been told its a bit grainy, but it has alot of good things in it and alot of bad things , including Ethoxquin , taken *out* of it big grin

ETA it has recently come out with a grain free formula

Edited by author Thu Nov 26, '09 10:53am PST

[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 7:51pm PST 
Just adding to the list:

Nature's Logic

Nature's Variety

Orijen
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 8:18pm PST 
Just a note, even if you see no "ethoxyquin" as an ingredient, it may still be in the product.

"the following is a letter summarizing current research submitted by Gloria Dodd, DVM, to the Federal Food and Drug Administration, Division of Animal Feeds, on the subject of the pet food preservative Ethoxyquin, which may or may not be included in ingredients on product label, but is in every food containing fat and animal by-products."
from ethoxyquin in pet food

And
"Also many dog food manufacturers are not listing “E” [aka, ethoxyquin] as an ingredient on the packaging. Only under much investigation will they admit it. Isn’t there an FDA regulation about labeling ingredients? Truth in labeling is another issue-ANF, which incidentally is one of the most expensive dog foods, is touted by the manufacturer as an “all natural formula “ with no preservatives”, yet lists “E” as an antioxidant which they claim to be quite safe."

I think this is the case with other toxic ingredients too, not just ethoxyquin such as menadione. Dog food companies are not going to answer truth to consumers.

Edited by author Sun Nov 29, '09 8:30pm PST

[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Mon Nov 30, '09 3:41am PST 
Fromm's Surf and Turf
[notify]
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 1:41pm PST 
Blue Buffalo Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved naturally with Naturox.”

By Nature Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with natural tocopherols.”

California Natural, Innova, Evo Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with Vitamin E and mixed tocopherols.”

Castor & Pollux Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with Naturox.”

Evolve Natural Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with mixed tocopherols.”

Flint River Ranch Pet Food
“Fish meal is flash frozen until time of manufacturing; no preservative needed.”

Fromm Family Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with citric acid.”

Kumpi Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with tocopherols.”

Merrick Pet Foods
“Fish meal preserved with mixed tocopherols.”

Nature’s Logic Pet Food
“Fish meals are preserved with natural tocopherols and rosemary.”

Newman’s Own Pet Foods
“Fish meals preserved with Vitamin E.”

Petcurean Pet Foods
“Fish Meal is preserved with Vitamin E.”

Solid Gold Pet Foods
“Fish meal preserved with tocopherols.”

Timberwolf Organics Pet Foods
“Fish meal ingredients are preserved with Vitamin E.”

TLC Pet Foods
“Fish meal is preserved with tocopherols.”

From http://www.petsumerreport.com/
[notify]
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 1:48pm PST 
Equally important, here is a list of those that contain ethoxyquin, also from http://www.petsumerreport.com/

It seems anything made by Diamond!!!!

Artemis Pet Foods
Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

Canidae/Felidae Pet Foods
Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Pet Foods

Diamond Pet Foods

Natural Balance Pet Foods

Premium Edge Pet Foods

Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
[notify]
Alex

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 2:22pm PST 
An excellent food that needs to be added to your list of "safe" foods is LOTUS PET FOOD....all recipes. It is manufactured in Canada and is baked. Baking costs four times the cost of extrusion and Lotus is one of the only baked foods on the market. It began in California and they are EXPLODING around the country.

Finally, there is a baked product to replace the old Wellness product before they sold to private equity and began decreasing the quality of their foods. I can't say enough good things. Baked is better.

Foods manufactured in Canada are held to very high standards and comply with European Union regulations which are more strict than U.S. regulations.

Listening to peers in the industry along with the long history of pet food recalls and sanitation infractions, I would steer clear of anything manufactured by Diamond.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 10:44pm PST 
bump smile
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 1:32pm PST 
Solid Gold

Merrick

Orijen

Wellness

Natura Pet

Blue Buffalo

Tast of The Wild (I THINK it is free of Ethoxyquin)

Canine Caviar (I THINK it is free of Ethoxyquin)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5