GO!

3 month old training!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Halle

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 5:31pm PST 
Hello all! Halle is 14 weeks today and is a very smart puppy!! Problem is she is very stubborn as well. We adopted Halle when she was only 5 1/2 weeks old. Young, yes we know, but it was for the best as we had to overcome some health obstacles when she was younger and she was at the foster home any longer, things could have been worse (no telling if she would have been treated). Any who, Halle is crate trained and house trained - has not had any accidents for a whole month already! Big accomplishment for a pup her age! She is sitting, staying, laying down, rolling over and she walks well on a leash as well as she will potty on command. Problem is, when she does not like something, she barks! And she will continue to bark until we somehow divert attention. Also, she still does the puppy biting/mouthing which drives us crazy! We have tried all techniques and have a hard time breaking her of this. When she jumps and barks we get up and turn away but this does not seem to be effective. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks a bunch for everyone's comments and help!
[notify]
Loki

Mischevious- Laughing Loki

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 5:55pm PST 
Best advice I can think for you is, Stick With It! Stay consistent with your training cause you've got a few more months of adolecense (ugh, my drn spillign chequer iz nt wookink agin) to get through.

All natural peanut butter, slathered over a nyla-bone seemed to work for me during my teething years to know what is okay to be chewing on.
[notify]
shifty

rorrow row

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 6:43pm PST 
For the barking, I'd try diversion. Have small dog cookies on you all the time. When doggie starts barking, show the cookie and make her do one of her tricks like sit. I'm guessing she's gonna want the cookie more than continue to bark.

For the biting, again diversion. Say no, and then stuff a toy in her mouth. The other thing I did came from the vet. She showed me to put my thumb in the middle of the tongue and press down while holding the bottom of the dog's mouth with the rest of my hand. Press down hard so the dog wants to move its head. I started doing that instead of saying no, and then after letting go, stuffed a toy in his mouth. Worked like a champ.

Edited by author Wed Nov 18, '09 6:44pm PST

[notify]

Halle

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 7:17pm PST 
Thanks guys!

Shifty, we have tried making her do a trick and giving her treats when she barks to divert her but then she goes back to barking cause she then wants another treat. It's a never ending cycle!!! lol

We have been trying sticking our thumbs in her mouth when she bites and she does not like it, but she seems to get anxious when we do that then will actually try it again.. Persistance is the key! It will pay off soon enough!!

Thanks again for the advise! Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!!
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 7:26pm PST 
When I was younger I too liked to nibble, but every time I did, my person would yelp and turn away from me. She would count to five, turn around and find me a good chew toy. She had to do this over & over & over, but i think I get it now..no bite her, only bite toys! I still have the occasional urge to get mouthy, but I let go right away. I am almost 6 months old now & I have discovered I like coos & kisses more than yelps & being ignored.snoopy
[notify]