GO!

Papillon reverse breathing fits every 4 hrs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Loca

Who wants a- kiss?

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 6:12am PST 
We have a 2 yr old Pappillon who would once in a blue moon have a reverse breathing fit (looks like dry heaving with lock jaw)

At midnight she had a 5 minute fit where ever 30 seconds she would start and stop. The same around 4 am & * am no vommiting no other ailments was recently diagnosed with seasonal allergies.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 7:15am PST 
Oh wow.....

No I am sorry Loca, I haven't experienced this at all. confused
[notify]
Loca

Who wants a- kiss?

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 8:26am PST 
Thanks. I think the fact she is keeping her food down is a good sign
[notify]

Loca

Who wants a- kiss?

Barked: Wed Sep 23, '09 2:22pm PST 
as an update Loca is on antibiotics and getting better.
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 9:00pm PST 
That is wonderful Loca!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Sep 26, '09 4:32pm PST 
O thats good. I was curious was it kennel cough? When Daisy had this I was puzzled at first because it sounds like she was doing the same thing you were. It sounded like reverse sneezing but was really her coughing. Sounds similar.
[notify]
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Fri Oct 9, '09 2:56pm PST 
Bisou does the same thing, has all his life. It mostly happens when he gets excited.
[notify]
Molly

I wuv my bobo :)

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 9:16pm PST 
Molly reverse breathes only when she experiences too much supense/ excitement with treats. confused

Were glad to hear you are feeling better big grin
[notify]
Twinkie

My little pink- lawn dart

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 11:32am PST 
I am so glad to see this thread. My Twinkie has Kennel cough from the pound, which is now upper respiratory but she's on meds. She did this after a few days when I brought her home. The vet said it was reverse sneezing (which I had never heard of) but it was common and some dogs do it alot and some not at all. It will be interesting to see if it clears up when she's all better.
[notify]
Henry

sweet prince

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 1:21pm PST 
Yes, my pap Henry does this quite alot and its very common in the small breeds. Its very similar to an allergy of sorts and eventhough it can be very frightening to someone not accustomed to this, it is harmless. The sinuses drain down the back of the throat and since the trachea is so small it can cause the drainage to gum up and cause it to become sticky causing that gasping honking sound. First thing first, do not be alarmed. Paps are very sensitive and if you get upset they will get scared. Remain calm and try to get the dog to drink, this will loosen up the drainage. After some coaching Henry will lick an ice cube and will relax after a few seconds. Research the breed, this is very common and nothing to worry about, he will be fine.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2