GO!

Best "cheap" dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 2:41pm PST 
I'm in quite a snag in my life right now, so I must cut down on expenses. I've been trying to find a decent dog food (& puppy food) that isn't too expensive.

I went to petsmart because they tend to carry more brandnames, but I don't like to buy food from there since they always up the price just because they're a specialty store. I looked at lots and lots of labels, and now my head is spinning. There are just so many different brands of dog food.

So what's the best? I'm talking about kibble also.

I know there was another thread like this, but I think it was like a year old so maybe things have changed.
[notify]
Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 2:42pm PST 
i think the best cheap dog food is homemade.

dog
[notify]
Allie - RIP

Mom thinks I'm- just BEAUTIFUL - am I?

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 2:47pm PST 
I kind of agree that homemade is the best cheap food...I've just started cooking for one of my dogs, and it really as hard, time-consuming or expensive as I thought it would be! However, if I didn't have time to cook, and not much money for pricier food, I'd probably just get Kirkland Lamb and Rice kibble from Costco. If I didn't have a Costco available to me, I'm not sure what I'd feed!
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 3:05pm PST 
Personally, I've never found homemade food to be cheap, but I guess it depends on where you live (where I live, the raw I feed costs over twice as much as even the higher end kibbles like Nature's Logic, Instinct, and CORE, and I shop at places like Winco for the meat). Also, what price range do you consider cheap? Premium Edge and Diamond Naturals from what I've seen tend to cost on average about $.80 - $1 per lb, Natural Balance a little bit more, and Kirkland Signature (if going that route I recommend the chicken variety since it doesn't have the fillers that the Lamb does) seems to cost between 40 cents - 60 cents per pound on average from what I've seen. Based on ingredients and how most of the people I've seen talk about it seem to have had good results with these foods, they seem to be a good price for the money as long as the dog doesn't have allergies to anything in the foods.

Edited by author Tue Aug 25, '09 3:06pm PST

[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 4:24pm PST 
Premium Edge is a pretty good food and a great price.
Here u can get 35 pounds for 33.98
Taste of the Wild is good,but costs about 40.00 for 30 pounds.
They sell them at feed and garden stores.

Natural Balance formulas that aren't for allergies aren't too bad.
U can get it at Petco.

Those are the main foods I have experience with.
Look at Petco if u don't have a local feed store. Petco has a better quality food selection than Petsmart.

Edited by author Tue Aug 25, '09 4:29pm PST

[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 4:41pm PST 
Kato, check out Chocolate's post, "What's Purina's best food?" This was covered there.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 5:25pm PST 
diamond naturals, premium edge, chicken soup for dog lovers soul, healthwise and natural balance

Edited by author Tue Aug 25, '09 5:26pm PST

[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 6:45pm PST 
Well, that kirkland brand sounded really nice, but there's no costco near me. The closest one is over an hour away, so no go on that. The only other one that was carried by a store near me was the diamond naturals, but even that store is a little out of the way. I hardly ever go to Menards, but that's the only store that carries it.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 7:10pm PST 
try NB then. it's at petco. not as cheap as i'd like to pay for Brodie's sweet potato and fish but the ultra premium formula is pretty reasonable.
I would not consider NB 'cheap' though, not on my budget.

Edited by author Tue Aug 25, '09 7:10pm PST

[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 11:06pm PST 
diamond naturals,chicken soup,kirkland, Pro Plan selects.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8