GO!

When you wonder what's up with shelter dogs...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 1:26pm PST 
I know a lot of people are reluctant to adopt from a shelter because of the belief that shelter dogs have been relinquished because of behavior problems.
And I also know that there have been a bunch of debates on dogster about whether it's fair for rescues to refuse to adopt to certain people. (cough cough Lillith, Tiller, etc)
So...
Here's a really interesting study that might answer both questions, and I think anyone involved in rescue should read. They surveyed pet relinquishers versus pet-owning members of the general public about their pet, and general pet knowlege.

http://www.petpopulation.org/research_characteristics.html

(I don't know how to make it a link, sorry! and it's a PDF, but totally worth downloading and reading)

And it comes up with some DUH stuff (people give up dogs because they think they are too active, because they bit someone, because they chew) and some more subtle stuff (significantly more relinquished dogs than control group dogs came from pet stores, more men than women give up their dogs, the more education you have, the less likely to give up a dog, and control group dogs have most of the same "behavior problems" as surrendered ones, surprise).

It made me think, ya know, by this study, a young woman with a college degree is actually a fairly safe bet, and that sounds like the people who were complaining about being rejected. Breeders should do some reading...
And people should give shelter dogs a chance! there's nothing wrong with them except ignorant owners!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 1:54pm PST 
So I read that study, and of 4,000 participants, they concluded that

"Those (men) relinquishing dogs were significantly more likely to be younger than 50"

eek

No dogs for any younger guy then, I suppose!
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 2:35pm PST 
Its a big mistake to make generalizations, like younger guys are a bad adoption bet. The best a group can do is look at references thoroughly interview, etc. It will always be a risk Ive seen people who looked like ideal homes, dump dogs
[notify]

Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 3:34pm PST 
I know someone who took a dog to the pound for puking on the carpet. shrug

People have weird 'reasons'.
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 3:49pm PST 
"the more education you have, the less likely to give up a dog"

LOL! laugh out loudbig laugh
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:45pm PST 
If you're not up to a challenge, then DON'T get a dog!

I was raised not to give up on anything worthwhile, and especially not to give up on a family member,which my dog is.
[notify]
Dosha

It moved! Chase- it, Chase it!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:06pm PST 
Dosha is a shelter rescue, and she has been the best dog I've ever had. Not all dogs in shelters are because of behavioral problems... I wouldn't even say it's fair to call it half. Dosha ended up in there, cause a homeless guy owned her, she wasn't getting near enough food, and he was mean to her. Put her in a loving home, and she did a 180 in days. but she wasn't a misbehaved dog when I got her either. You just could see her outlook on life change from what she was used to, and what she was getting here.
[notify]
Dosha

It moved! Chase- it, Chase it!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:06pm PST 
OH BTW, I'm a male under 50, and Dosha will go no where. BOL big grin
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:27pm PST 
Dosha,

I was saying that in jest wink

It just seems that people are so fond of generalizing like "young people are unstable", etc.. I was just being sarcastic. blue dog
[notify]
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:47pm PST 
I work at a shelter and some of the reasons dogs are surrendered...crazy. But maybe it's better off for the dog since that person obviously shouldnt have a dog if they dont want to train it and look after it properly. Shelters are very different here, we dont have an adoption application process but there are some requirements.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3