GO!

What made you decide to get another dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Zoey

cutest cuddlebug

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:47pm PST 
For multi-dog families:

What made you decide to get the 2ed (or 3rd, etc.) dog?

I'm thinking about getting a second dachshund. He's a 2 yo rescue that is a total cutie. I know I need to set up a meeting at a neutral place for the two dogs to see if they get along. However, my main concern is the two dogs getting along at home. I want them to be friends and play together. Right now, we are dog sitting for two dogs and they are all getting along fine. One of the puppies is Zoey's best friend, and the other is a friend's 13 yo dog.

So...how do I know this is the right decision? I want to make absolutely sure I am doing the right thing for both dogs. What helped you make your decision?
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 9:02pm PST 
And another. And another. And another. Because we love dogs! laugh out loud So much more fun than one (imo).
[notify]
WA AussCHI- Posse

Big Packs Rule!

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 9:19pm PST 
We're with Kahuna! We just don't understand how someone could only have one dogshrug
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 10:01pm PST 
Oh well no wonder u want another if it is a doxie!
smile

We got Bama first, he's a longhair mini dachshund. My husband had said he wanted a doxie and a bulldog.
I came across Allee our 2nd dog at a petstore before I knew about puppy mills and felt sorry for her bc she was so cute but 4 months old and no one had bought her. She just seemed special to me.
Then of course we got brodie the bulldog.

Dogs are so much fun. And the more the merrier. But, with more also comes more responsibility and more costs.
Multiple dogs cost a lot to take care of. I mean more food, more vet visits, more for heartworm prev, and flea prevention, toys, treats, etc and then of course more if anything unexpected comes up and trust me it usually does!

We love having 3 dogs but it's hard sometimes financially and I worry if something really big happens that I don't have enough money for! In the future I may limit my doggies to 2 if anything, god forbid, ever happens to one of mine. But, it's mainly bc of money and our jobs aren't very secure...(i am a painter and hubby builds houses)
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 5:37am PST 
I wanted another dog about a year after we got Bunny, but I didnt know how to convince my husband. Lo and behold his parents *got rid of * Princess and now we have a second dog!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 6:27am PST 
Bailey is really social. We go to the dog park almost everyday and he has an absolute blast playing with his friends. Over time I decided that he needed to have this all the time, not just at the park. Soooo then the research phase stage started as I decided whether I'd get myself in over my head adding a second dog, followed by the search for my new addition, even though I hadn't convinced myself that I absolutely without a doubt wanted a second. Once I came across Saige on petfinder, I just knew that she'd be the perfect playmate for Bailey. A month later we all couldn't be happier.
[notify]
Rosie

i am a- sweetheart

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 6:40am PST 
Getting another dog, ???, well its like chocolate, you can never have just one, B O L ,cheer cheer
[notify]
POSH ( CGC- )

Yes, I am this- Purdy in the- morning

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 6:51am PST 
Funny you should ask....I can't believe I am doing it again.....I know my Bulldog will not be around much longer, as she is almost 12 ! She is totally deaf, has two torn acls in both legs and has accidents weekly in the house. However, this breeder had the dog of my dreams and I was afraid to pass her by.

Truthfully,I do not enjoy the puppy phase because I work full time and I want to do it right so my life is on hold for about 4 months, but in the end, you have a great dog.

After this, I plan to remain at two once one passes on. I love dogs, I really do.....but I am nervous to be honest. Any advice on how to get through this phase will be helpful
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 7:32am PST 
shooter can be a very nervous dog,
and if we go somewhere where he can't come
and he has to stay with someone (he would NEVER do well w. boarding)
he won't even eat the whole time we are gone.
and will resist going out to the bathroom at all costs.
we even had him staying with someone he LOVED while she was at our house, and we took him to her house a few times prior.

so i thought maybe we should get another dog so that
if we go somewhere...shooter wouldn't be alone in a new environment
...maybe convincing him it is okay to eat and everything.
that theory has not been tested yet, we took them with us
on our vacation.

anyways, it took a TON of convincing my boyfriend.
we have a pretty small apartment, but are moving into a house
with a nice big yard soon. i saved up the money i needed for sumo
plus some. and i sat down and said, this dog will do well in an apartment OR our nice big yard, i have the money for him, all i have to do is tell the breeder i want him&send payment.
(i was BEGGING his breeder to "just wait one more day, i know i can get a yes!" because there was someone else looking at sumo also, but she waited for me. :whew:

on my birthday he said i could get sumo.
and all 4 of us couldn't be happier! big grin
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 7:42am PST 
I was fostering with NO INTENTION to have a second permanent dog. Then Gretta pranced into my life and the rest is history.

There is NO WAY I could let her go, we bonded instantly and I need her as much as she needs me. So I ended up with two dogs, which is most definitely my limit smile.
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5