GO!

US Army Dog Handler

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Marlea

Hound Dog Eyes

Barked: Sun Jul 12, '09 11:07am PST 
My daddy is in the Army and wants to become a dog handler. He's great with us and I know he can do it. My sissy and I were just wondering what our new brother or sister would be. Are the only type of military dogs a German Shepard? Thanks for your insight. dog
[notify]
Dragon

Learning is FUN

Barked: Sun Jul 12, '09 1:10pm PST 
Hi There,

The USA has used many different breeds of dogs. Might depend on what type of work your Dad will be doing. The Belgian Malinois is seen a bit more frequently now. Still use German Shepherd Dogs. Have used Labs, Giant Schnauzers, and at one time - used dogs of unknown breeding.

Hope this helps,
Dragon
[notify]
Marlea

Hound Dog Eyes

Barked: Sun Jul 12, '09 1:50pm PST 
Hey Dragon, thanks. He is in the US Army Ranger. So it would be a Ranger Dog. Does that help?
[notify]

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '09 5:06am PST 
Back when my mommy was in High School, she was part of a Explorer Post that was run by the chief of the Military Working Dogs Kennel at Fort Bragg. Mommy is under the impression that they pretty much only work with Military Police Officers and when not "on duty" are kept at the base kennels. Pretty much all of the dogs were Belgian Malinois, but I think they did have one of two German Shepherds too.

So, it may depend on what MOS your daddy has. I know Police K9 Officers have more freedom with their dogs (or they seem to) as most of the dogs go home with the officer. However, most of the dogs are also owned and paid for by the officer and you're talking around 10 Grand minimum for obtaining a patrol dog.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '09 5:38am PST 
Jenna is correct. MWDs must live in the base kennel, not in housing. The only exceptions (that I know of) are the teams that are currently in the sandbox. All of the MWDs here stay in the base kennel. Last time I went by there, we've got a bunch of Malinois, occassional lab (drug), and a couple of Czech-type GDSs. They like the multi-purpose dogs.

Not long after we got over here, I was waiting to get in the elevator after taking Bretta out for her morning potty. Someone decided she was a MWD and demanded to know my name and rank because they were going to report me for her not being in the kennel. I had fun informing him that she was definitely not government property.
[notify]
Marlea

Hound Dog Eyes

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 5:38pm PST 
He is in the 75th ranger battalion. He was informed that the dogs go everywhere with him. But thank you for your information. That really helps!
[notify]