GO!

a dog died on the table today

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 5:42pm PST 
Not really sure what happened. She had been boarding with us and was getting groomed before her family came to get her. The groomer had bathed her and was going through everything when she started having a seizure. Then she just stopped.
The groomer did mouth to mouth on her while they rushed her to the vet, but she was DOA. Nothing could be done. We aren't really sure what happened.
We had all noticed that she was a bit of a strange, innately neurotic dog. Something just always seemed "off" about her and her family acknowledged that.
It's just strange. Yesterday I was playing with this dog. Today she's gone and her family never got to say good bye.
Has this happened to anybody else? Is it common?
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:25pm PST 
That is AWFUL!!! I am so sorry. We had a chow die, not on the table but right after we groomed him. He was only six months old. He had a reaction to either the all natural perfume we use or the lysol his mom sprayed at home. His mom still brings her other dogs.
[notify]
Nefertiti

Queen of the- Squeakies!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:30pm PST 
once, years ago, we had a 10 year old english bulldog have a seizure in a kennel after her bath. Our bather that was working on her asked mom if she was sure that she wanted to make the appointment, as the dog was getting pretty old, and wasn't aging well (looked older than she really was). Mom insisted that she was fine and that she needed a bath. Our poor bather said for weeks that she should have turned her away, but it wasn't her fault it happened. Sometimes these things just do.
[notify]

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:41pm PST 
Wow, that's rough.
Sorry to hear that frowncry
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Thu Jul 9, '09 9:12am PST 
No luckily I havent but I have had one dog a very fat cocker I groomed. It was very difficult kept trying to lash out at me. It was so matted it had pelts and feces stuck it really stunk to. Well upon all the growling and lashing out it just went crazy on me so I untied it took it off the table and it colapsed. Luckily I work at a clinic the vet came rushed it to the surgery table and put it on oxegen. It was so over weight its heart couldnt take any of the anxiety it was putting itself through when trying to fight with me. And one long hair weener dog I always groom has seizures all the time! Not while grooming but the moment it steps foot in the clinic it seizes so I groom it a quick as I can. Good little dog though. That would be very scary.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 5:02am PST 
Bama has had a couple seizures so ya'll are worrying me!
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 12:24pm PST 
oh i am so sorry....hug
[notify]
B.J., CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 4:49pm PST 
We had a very, very old am staf who boarded with us all the time. He had been with us for two weeks (his longest stay), and everything was fine. His owners picked him up at noon, he was all bouncy and happy and the old man went out the door with the dog. After the woman finished paying, she went out and ran back in the door and said Zeke was dying. I went out, he was down flat with a seizure. His gums were completely white and I was sure it was the end. I held him and comforted the owners and suddenly realized he was moving his head in a more controlled manner. He was still pure white and couldn't stand. The vet is right next door to us so the owners and my assistant took him right up there and I called ahead. My assistant carried him into an exam room, set him on the floor and he jumped up and started checking out the room. They left without even seeing the vet (?), and came back down to our kennel. For some reason I grabbed a handful of Tiny Tots treats. The dog gobbled them all up and we watched his color go from gray to almost normal pink. My theory is that because the owners bring his own food and didn't bring any for the last day he was hypoglycemic, which caused the seizure. He hadn't eaten since 8 am the morning before. Although the dog recovered fully before he was even all the way home they did have to have him euthanized about 3 weeks later. Sadly, the owners were actually hoping he would pass away while he was boarding. (Not in a bad way, they didn't want to have to make a decision to have him euthanized which I did understand.) I was doing everything I possibly could so that wouldn't happen!!!!!!! Got quite a few more gray hairs that day!!!!!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 4:55pm PST 
Bam Bam that must have been awful!hug
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 6:01pm PST 
Sometimes, there is just something wrong inside a dog that short circuits after a while. I have known "slightly off" dogs that simply died, one in the 10 minutes between playing in her yard, and her mother arriving home from driving the kids to school. It's always very sad, but it can't be helped.

Owners of older or ill dogs have a lot of difficult choices to make. We occasionally have old dogs in daycare who could die any time. Their owners are aware of their health, and have decided that the benefit they get from attending outweighs the risks. One owner swears her dog lives to come to daycare another day, and says it was "like she thinks she's being punished" when she tried to pull her out of daycare. It's certainly not an easy thing to consider, and I wouldn't argue with someone either way.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3