GO!

Training Help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rugby

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 7:57am PST 
I have had my coonhound for 5 months now and got him from a shelter. He is 10 months old. He is very unbehaved and high strung. I rollerblade with him in the morning for about 30 mins and then we walk for about 2 hours at night. I am single so he is home alone all day. I am possibly considering giving him up becasue I feel I can't handle the dog anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]
Jenny

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 12:07pm PST 
Don't give up! When I first rescued my Treeing Walker/Bluetick cross, she drove me crazy! I thought about giving her up too, but with training and patience, she is now a lovable and increasingly well-trained companion. I also later adopted a second dog, and even though they don't play together, just having company during the day when I'm at work seemed to calm her down.

Good luck with your buddy and try to stay calm and remember - he's not trying to annoy you on purpose!
[notify]
Bandit

Don't let my- puppy eyes fool- you!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 2:32pm PST 
I feel ya, we have a 8 month old purebred walker, that we got when he was 6 weeks old. He is VERY high strung, and destructive even though we let him run around for an hour each day out in our cow pasture... he is the beginning of many fights between my husband and I. If you find something that works please let me know too!
[notify]

Beatrix- Kiddo

Yard? What- yard?....

Barked: Thu Jan 28, '10 5:03am PST 
Beatrix Kiddo is our Treeing Walker Hound that was a Katrina rescue. When we got her she had already been through the mill between the hurricane, roaming the street, the shelter, a bad placement and had heartworm disease. Talk about a challenge! It took a ton of work and now I have the best dog ever. She did have another dog here to learn some stuff from.

First up is exercise, Beatrix loves long walks daily, if you can jog with your walker hound even better. I would try the longer round of exercise in the morning, 20 minutes before you leave is most likely not enough. You also have to work on the obedience training, sit for treats or affection and so on.

Make sure there is stuff to do too, like chewies, Beatrix likes Bully Sticks and food balls, where they have to work for food. Is your dog fixed yet? That will help put a dent in their hyperness too.

Keep working at it and I think you will end up with a great dog. Just remember the breed is made for heat and high energy work.cheer
[notify]
Hudson

I never leave- home without my- rope toy!

Barked: Fri Nov 12, '10 1:54pm PST 
I recently adopted a black and tan mix from our local animal shelter as a companion for my other dog. He definitely has that "high strung" behavior you're referring to. The first few weeks were crazy to say the least. I work all day and my dogs are at home as well. I have three pieces of advice for you.

1). Invest in rope toys. They are fantastic. My dog will chew and pull them apart for hours. It really redirects a lot of his destructive behavior. I can't promise you won't come home to a lot of threads on your floor, but thats better then pieces of furniture.

2). Get them at least 30 minutes of decent exercise in the morning. If you can run him, thats best, if not a wwalk will be nice as well.

3). The most important thing I have found to curb Hudson's behavior is a schedule (both exercise and feeding). It took a while to get him adjusted (those first few weeks of craziness) but he gets better and better every week. He knows now that he gets a walk in the morning before work including a treat for good behavior, a short walk and fed mid afternoon, and we walk again when I come home at night and he gets fed.

It does take work for sure, but Hudson is a great dog. Extremely loyal and a great companion. Don't give up - just be patient and you're dog will start to calm down.
[notify]
Bones

lean, mean- huntin machine

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 6:37am PST 
bones says, "we were bred to hunt so that is what I do. I was adopted just like some of you but my new mom imbraces my breed traits and takes me out to the woods and lets me run with some other coonhounds. It doesn't matter if I do all great on the hunt, it only matters that I can have the hours of exercise I need. Walks during the day and chew toys may work for a little while but not forever. If your hound is high strung like me see if any of your friends take their dogs huntin and go along. we follow our noses when something catches our interest and we do not give up easily to follow it. this could cause major prolems if your dog breaks out of his yard. If you must get rid of him because you cannot handle his extreme behavior ( which not everyone can so dont let anyone make you feel bad if you cant) find someone who has cared for one before and place it with that family. please try not to send him back to a shelter.
[notify]
Copper and- Dixie

come a little- closer furry- critters

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 7:05pm PST 
My girls were wound up just like any puppy but as they mature you will find they are great companions, coonhounds still need exercise and stimulus but I just play with my girls and it doesn't even feel like I "have to make time" for them. Don't give up they are great dogs, a little hard headed but very smartand personal.
[notify]
Luna

Love Bug

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 5:49am PST 
Would you be able to afford sending your pup to a dog day care or hiring a dog walker to come mid day? We found with Luna (5 month old Treeing Walker Hound)that this really helped. She needed a lot more exercise than we could give her during the work week. Even just a few days a week helps because her off days she is usually still tired from running around the day before. I think he probably just needs more exercise and maybe more training so that he can focus.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 8:21pm PST 
I have a walk coon hound named charlie and he is 7 months old. I am havinbg a problem with him barking directly in my face and jumping on people what do i do?!
[notify]
Max

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 6:51pm PST 
Max is almost 4 months, but already pretty big and strong. He was a lucky find for both him and me. He was abandoned in a box when I found him about a month and a half ago (the vet estimated his age at 10 weeks, which I counted back on the calendar and decided we'd celebrate his birthday on 11-11-11. Easy to remember!). He is growing increasingly vocal and hard headed. I am glad to read all the posts about how wonderful these dogs are once you get through the tough puppy stages, since I'm getting a little frustrated with his high-energy, loud, stubborn attitude. Don't get me wrong, I love the energy, and we love going to the dog park, but my schedule doesn't permit me to take him and let him run for hours on end daily. I originally thought he was a beagle when I found him, but a DNA test (my boyfriend bought it for me for valentine's day so we could settle the bet about whether he is a beagle) showed that he's actually full blooded walker coonhound. I know nothing about the breed, and could use any advice out there. Thanks!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2