GO!

Ants in 50lb bag of dry dog food HELP!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Magnum NAJ- O-TN-N OJC- WV-N

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 8:44am PST 
Not sure where to put this.

I went outside this morning to feed my dogs, and when I opened the lid and scooped the food there was ants in it. I knew the lid had a crack in it and was going to get a new one(just went and got one at wal-mart), but the ants beat me to it. It's a brand new bag, and I don't want to buy a new one. What are some ways to get them out, without having to get rid of the dog food?
[notify]
Kennen,- rainbow- bridge

tough little man

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 1:37pm PST 
I don't think there are any ways to get them out...

I suggest keep the dog food inside the house and also feed the dogs inside the house.
[notify]
Bruce

Yippie! Spring- is here :)

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 3:26pm PST 
I have found if you set the food out in the sun they will leave. I was just getting them out of the house and found them all gone when I came back to get the bowl later. Of course I just had a bowl full to deal with but maybe you can spread it out somewhere so it all gets sun.
Good Luck!
[notify]

Snoopy

I'm the KING of- Naughtiness

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 3:54pm PST 
I dont know how to get them out of the bag, but I have learned that if you set the dish of dog food in a shallow dish of water (it makes a "moat") then the ants cant get into the dog food while you are waiting for the dog to eat it.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 7:34am PST 
For years and years I used diatomaceous earth around the outside of my house to prevent ants from getting in. You can do the same with FOOD GRADE DE inside. It dehydrates all insects and they die. Some people feed dogs this stuff to kill internal parasites. It is not good to breathe in but spreading in cracks where ants come in should get rid of them. I don't think I would shake the kibble with DE, too hard on the dog.

I am cheap. Try freezing some kibble daily and putting it in a colander and shake to knock off dead ants. Or float in water and pour it off to remove the dead ants.

This spring I soaked my home grown artichokes in soapy water, soaked in clean water, sprayed with the faucet between every single thorned leaflet and there were still ants in the bottom of the cooking pot after cooking them. We are still fine. I don't think a few dead ants are deadly.
[notify]
Magnum NAJ- O-TN-N OJC- WV-N

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 4:46pm PST 
Thanks for the advice guys. When I put the bag in the black garbage can and moved it, they actually went away. I think I saw some on in the bottom of the can, so I wonder if they got out of the bag, then got roasted in the heat, they looked shriveledshrug. Anyway, they're not there anymore, so that's over with. Thanks for your help though!way to go
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 6:43pm PST 
THANKS YOU for the response from the person about the 50 pound dag of dog food having ants in it.
We buy our pets food once a month - 110 lbs dog food, 100 lbs cat food, a pound or so of hamster food laugh out loud
We have very little storage space and having grown up on a farm, I prefer NOT to store the food in the barn, so we leave it in the cab of my pick-up truck.
For the first time in 3 years, fire ants have gotten into my truck and invaded my dry cat and dog food!!! Imagine my surprise!
Even though the inside of a closed truck in Texas is super hot they didn't seem to mind - BUT when I pulled them out into the hot direct sunlight they abandoned their newfound food pantry.
Thank you so very much for a great suggestion!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 5:09pm PST 
I know this is old but maybe someone else will stumble upon this and get help from it. I just had the same issue with a smaller bag. I took the colander from the kitchen and scooped it cup by cup and swirled it and bounced it around in there. The ants dropped out and when I put them back into his food container I just double checked each scoop by swirling my finger around in it. Tedious process but good dog food is expensive and 15 minutes is worth it in my book. I hope this helps someone.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 1:08pm PST 
Bumping yo drown spambots
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 5:57pm PST 
I would recommend not storing the food outside. If this is not an option, then try to use Diatomaceous Earth. It feels powdery to us, but is like shards of glass to worms, fleas, ticks and other creepy crawlies. It rubs off a protective covering on them, and within an hour, they die. It is also totally safe for your pet to eat.
[notify]