|Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:10pm PST |
|I am guilty of sharing the last bite (and allowing plate-licking, if we're using disposable plates) but I still keep limits on how much I'll let the dogs eat. Most of the food I eat has salt, heavy spicing, and occasionally sugar added - not exactly ideal for a dogs' digestive system. As an occasional tidbit or treat, I don't think there's much of a problem.
BUT if you feed too much, or feed the wrong things, you're gonna end up with a tubby dog. My husband's family used to scrape EVERY SINGLE PLATE into their dog's food dish, and at age 9 she was easily 25 lbs over her ideal weight (which is right around 40lbs) and she was suffering from yeast overgrowths, food allergies, hip/elbow arthritis and NASTY teeth!
Plus, cooked fat and bones aren't necessarily good for a dog (cooked bones splinter, too much cooked fat has been known to cause pancreatitis) and there are plenty human-safe food items that are BAD NEWS for dogs - grapes/raisins, chocolate, alcohol, etc.
Treating dogs to table scraps is fun because they sure do get excited, but remember, all things in moderation!
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|