GO!

first AKC Jr. Handler Conformation show!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

CH Cosmo

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 9:54pm PST 
We have our first Jr. Handler Conformation show next weekend(June 6-7). Were really excited and really nervous! haha! Anybody have any tips?
[notify]
CH ChekrdFlags Vegas GoGo Girl

All Pyr! From- pasture to show- ring!

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 10:07pm PST 
Have fun!way to go
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 6:52pm PST 
That is exactly my advice: HAVE FUN! My first regular show was last week, and we went out there and had an absolute blast. Don't worry about winning or losing, focus on the relationship you are building with your dog. I walked away feeling so much more bonded to Bam-Bam, and so incredibly proud of him! Good luck! Let us know how you do!
[notify]

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 1:01pm PST 
Of course have fun, but take this from me:

1. SMILE AT THE JUDGE!!!!!!
2. Don't forget your courtesy turn!

Best of luck. This is a FUN sport.
[notify]
Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 7:20pm PST 
Remember to smile at every corner and say yes ma'am or sir, and have lots of fun. Also, at my first show I was soooooo nervous during the long car ride and I found chewing gum helped a lot. Good luck!
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 8:26pm PST 
This is advice too late for this show, probably, and it's likely something you already know about, but just in case, for future ref if it's not something you work on already:

It might be a good idea to train your dog to "stack" on command, with little or no help from your hands. I'm honestly not sure if you get showmanship points for that but I know that in terms of actually showing a dog you want to win it's an advantage not to have your hands in the way-- you want the judge to have an unbroken view of your fabulous, perfect specimen of a dog heehee! Also it shows off their intelligence and bond with you a bit (judges do try to look at breed character as much as they can glean from the routine of the dog show, which is brief and not exactly very conducive to showing off your dog's pluck and personality in too incredibly many ways). Plus it keeps them focused on you, animated, all those things that make a dog look flashy. Watching a show, I'm always impressed with a dog that will stand there in perfect form, all on her own, and gaze with rapt attention into her handler's face... er, well, or the liver they're waving in front of it, bol!
CH Cosmo

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 8:00pm PST 
thanks for all the great tips guys! big grin
[notify]
CH Cosmo

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 8:53pm PST 
WE GOT FIRST PLACE BOTH DAYS big grin

Edited by author Mon Jun 8, '09 8:54pm PST

[notify]
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 10:49pm PST 
Big Congrats to you and 'Mo
[notify]
StarBuck- a.k.a. Buck - CDX,CGC

My Chocolate- Chip in the- Cookie of Life!

Barked: Tue Jul 14, '09 11:45am PST 
I have a Jr. Showmanship event next month it's a 3 day event!
[notify]