GO!

no doggie smell on good quality food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 10:31am PST 
I was wondering if anyone else saw a difference in their dogs when they switched over to a premium brand? Uno doesent smell at all, but I think its a breed thing. My neighbor feeds her dog Canidae, hes golden and doesent have that wet doggie smell. I recently volunteered at a dog rescue and all of their dogs are on purina and smell pretty bad, they also have dull, coarse coats and shed a lot.
[notify]
Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 10:40am PST 
On Orijen and Solid Gold Bella has the rancid stink farts.

She is on Orijen now and is currently shedding something fierce.

I can't wait to switch her to something else, cause man alive, this is not what I expected.
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 10:58am PST 
I've read on here that poops aren't supposed to be stinky if the dog is on premium food. Well, Rocket and 27 are proof that that is FALSE. laugh out loud However, since going down to two meals a day each, Rocket poops way less than she used to. 27 still poops every time he goes outside, though, and they are both on Orijen.

shrug
[notify]

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 11:09am PST 
Gunner has eaten pretty much every super high quality food that us Dogster Foodies talk about here. Each one of them either gave him

A) Rancid, under the blankie farts with no escape
B) Bad breath and runny eyes
C) BIG HUGE POOPS! He's only 10 pounds!

Well, that all changed when I switched him to Wellness Super Mix 5 Small Breed. Holy cow, the change is crazy! No more bad farts, no more stinky breath and his eyes aren't running anymore! Oh, and his poos are TINY and they hardly stink. I'm totally sold on Wellness blue dog
[notify]
Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 11:35am PST 
Gunner, thanks for reminding me..

She also has large poops.. and runny eyes.

Which is odd.. because Orijen is so highly regarded. thinking
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 11:43am PST 
I know Bella. I put Gunner on Orijen too because I was so thrilled to see it at my local pet store. Gunner didn't have any improvement from the other foods he had, his stools were still huge and his eyes were still running and itchy. BUT he did absolutely LOVE the kibble and would eat it like candy shrug All I can say is that Wellness has worked wonders for us. I didn't want to try it because I was trying to stay away from grains, but I feel so bad now because Gunner is doing great on a food with grains. Granted it could be allergies or what not, but he's doing so well on this food so I'm sticking with it.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 11:53am PST 
sorry, I meant to specify the coat smell, not poops. big grin
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 12:00pm PST 
I LOVE the way my guys smell (they eat raw), especially Baloo. I just bury my face in his neck scruff and inhale deeply when I'm feeling stressed. big grin

Keep in mind, shelter dogs are under a very high amount of stress themselves, and stress can have many negative connotations regarding overall health. I think the stress (and not the food, although I'm sure it plays a part) is more to blame. wink
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 1:34pm PST 
well, theyre all forster dogs, so they live in a loving environment.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 1:46pm PST 
Uno, I think a lot of it has to do with breed. I have shepherd /lab mixes (or similar wink ) and they still smell sometimes even on a raw diet. My sisters huskies are kibble fed and have no stink. I think it just depends, sadly. I was hoping it would go away!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3