GO!

Cleaning a dog's ears (but not inside the ears)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lady

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 3:22pm PST 
So a dog playday is coming up in my area, and I'm getting Lady all ready to go. big grin Trimming her feet and ears, and now I want to clean her ears. I've never done it before, and was hoping for help! I'm trying to clean the backside of her ear flap. It has some dirty wax that I need to remove, and I'm not sure how to do it. Do I just use soap and water? Is there a special solution I need to buy, or is there something I can make at home?
Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 3:29pm PST 
1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water will do a good job. If you really are only doing the leather, shampoo and water would be okay. Be sure not to get any in her ear canal. If you use shampoo, it needs to rinsed well. Put a gauze pad over the ear canal to keep it dry.
[notify]
Lady

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 12:14pm PST 
Thank you! blue dog
[notify]

Bálin

'Don't eat- yellow snow, or- brown snow!'

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 12:42pm PST 
My 'potion' is similar 1/3 regular vinegar, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes i use any one of the three by itself, seems to work as well. Cotton balls or paper towels, whatever's handy. My little guy actually seems to enjoy it! Unless of course i take too long!!!!dogway to go
[notify]
Captain- "Like- Someone in- Love"

If it's on the- floor...it's- mine!

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 2:18pm PST 
Hello Lady!!!

Even though I am not a big fan of having my ears cleaned...(but it does feel good afterwards..hehehe) when mom cleans my ears she uses store bought ear cleaner (from health store) that is holistic. Mom (based on our vets suggestion) buys gauze (not cotton balls, paper towels, etc. because it is too easy to tear and be left behind in the ears which could end up causing discomfort or infection) and wraps the gauze around the tip of her index finger and saturates the gauze with the cleaning solution and then puts her finger into my ears and basically wipes them clean. I know it sounds gross but it seems to really help keep my ears clean. Our vet said because all dog's ear canal are basically in the shape of the letter "L" mom can go in there pretty good and wipe it out without the threat of actually hurting me. wavewavewave

Edited by author Thu May 14, '09 2:21pm PST

[notify]