GO!

Yes Im getting a puppy but what type is right for me?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maxwell

The devil made- me do it!!

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 5:40am PST 
blue dog Finally My Parents Have Agreed To Let Me Have A Puppie But Now I Dont Know What Type I Schould get!!
Summer Vacation Next Year need A's On Report cardeek

It must have the following soz were so picky!!!

cloud 9 be good for allergies and asmatics
cloud 9 Doesn't mind a Small Yard
cloud 9 Not To Large (Small-medium)
cloud 9 Only needs 1 dayly Walk
cloud 9 Not to Challenging to Train
cloud 9 Not to Alpha

Hope you can help me!!!!!!!!

Saz
blue dogpuppydogsnoopy

Edited by author Mon May 11, '09 6:09am PST

[notify]
Ralph

I am a- TERRORIST!

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 6:15am PST 
Get a Yorkie!!!
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 6:19am PST 
Well I have looked At them but they are very yappy and energetic!! well I think they are!!! The Torkies also look very cute!!!
[notify]

Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 6:48am PST 
How about a Shi Tzu? They're so cute, and i think they are good for allergies and asthma. Such sweet little dogs and not at all yappy if raised correctly.

Q
[notify]
charlie

i love to- tease,but i,m a- lovely boy

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 6:56am PST 
A Yorkie blue dog
[notify]
Emma In- Loving- Memory

i can eat for- england

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 6:57am PST 
A cavalier king charles spaniel cheer
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 7:14am PST 
Does Any One think A soft coated wheaten terreir would be ok??!!!blue dog
[notify]
Ralph

I am a- TERRORIST!

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 8:35am PST 
I have a great deal of terrier experiance, and unless you have the time, energy, training knowledge and alpha personality I would say no for any of the larger terriers. I worked with dogs on a daily basis for over a year, and worked with a lot of wheatens (and I owned a irish terrier/lab mix). I LOVE terriers they are my favorite, but they are a challenge (part of the reason I love them so much!). Terriers will constantly test you, especially when they are puppies, and even into adulthood, but you will never find a more loyal, loving, and intelligent companion.Terriers are tenacious, and kind of have what I like to call "doggie ADD", they sometimes can get distracted and take off on "adventures", which is why they require a lot of time and energy to train. They are great family companions, but technically they were bred to work, so most like a job to do (I did part time Agiltiy with my Irish terrier, and do some Obediance with my Yorkie) But like I said, I would not recommend a terrier breed (exept maybe a yorkie, b/c of the size but let me tell you they are definately still ALL TERRIER!) for a first dog, unless tyou are totally devoted and up to the challenge. Think hard if you want a wheaten, b/c at my previous job at a doggie day care, I saw a few wheatens who their owners did not train them or give them boundries, and they were CRAZY DOGS with issues! You have all our support here a dogster, but we do want to make sure you get the right dog for YOU it is a very important decision!way to go

PS you also said you want a breed that requires only a daily walk........not a TERRIER! They have insane amounts of energy, I used to bike with my Irish Terrier at a decent speed for probably about a hour, and once we got home he'd pass out for a half hour, and then bounce up and be ready and rarin' to go! Just givin' you some terrier advise!

Edited by author Mon May 11, '09 8:42am PST

[notify]
Rosie

Is your breed- next? Ban BSL.

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 10:24am PST 
Okay, The Wheaty may be adorably cute, but man do they need WORK! They need lots and lots of exercise and need a firm leader. For you, I wouldn't consider that. I just want you to know that a dog is a lot of work. They all need more than one outing a day, exercise, attention, a firm leader, food, water, toys, medical care, etc... so you better be prepared for A LOT of work ahead of you. Here's a helpful link:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/ready.htm
Cruse around on that site, it has some really helpful tips and links. Also, DON"T BUY A MUTT FROM A PETSTORE!!!!!!!
They ALL come from puppy mills unless when you ask where they come from they say the local pound/shelter. Paw Mail me for more info on the Puppy Mills if you don't know where they are. You have to think long and hard about this. This shouldn't be a "Oh daddy! I got an A, can I have a dog now?" decision. I only have one word: RESEARCH. Do your homework and you will find the perfect dog for you. Buy tons of books, look at tons of websites, magazine's, etc... If you aren't willing to do all this, then you shouldn't have a dog. One more suggestion; I would recommend an adult dog for first time dog owners. If your not sure if you can commit to a dog, foster one for a reputable rescue. You'll save a life while seeing if you can commit to a dog.
Hopes this helps! ~ Rosie and adoptables hamster dance
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 10:51am PST 
I don't know much about this breed, so I will refer you to the link below. From what I have read on their site, it sounds like these dogs need a lot of training, and it doesn't sound like you will have time for that. Also, if you think a Yorkie is too energetic for you, you might look outside the terrier group - most terriers are energetic to some degree. Please check out the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Club of America website for information about this breed. You may also be able to contact members of the club who can help you decide if this breed is right for you.

I noticed in your original post that you wanted a dog that only needs "one walk per day." How long is that one walk? Most dogs could get by on one walk, if it was long enough. For example, on days when Zack only goes for one walk, we walk for about an hour. My parents' dog could get by on one walk, if someone wanted to walk her for two hours straight. But maybe you don't have that much time?

It's exciting that you will be getting a dog, but since you have lots of time to plan, be sure to do your research and find the breed that is best for you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2