GO!

Another City Attempting to Ban ALL Large Breed Dogs:

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 6:50am PST 
Ban on big dogs enacted at Marble Hill Houses
By Kevin Deutsch

Pit bulls and other large dogs are no longer welcome in public housing.

Residents of Marble Hill Houses and the city’s other 339 complexes can no longer keep large breeds of dogs due to a ban by the City Housing Authority instituted on May 1. Dogs registered by owners prior to that date will be allowed to stay.

The ban, which also applies to full or mixed-breed Doberman pinschers, Rottweilers, and any other dogs expected to weigh over 25 pounds, comes after a number of dog attacks — both in New York and around the country — involving large breeds in recent years.

Animal advocates are opposed to NYCHA’s new rule.

“The ASPCA is opposed to this policy and is working to prevent it from going into effect,” said Laura Maloney, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals senior vice president of anticruelty. “We oppose laws that discriminate against particular breeds or impose excessive weight restrictions. This regulation unfairly discriminates against responsible dog guardians on both counts.”

At Marble Hill Houses, some residents say big dogs haven’t been a problem, and that the authority should focus on other issues like fixing the brokendown basketball court, replacing rusted playground equipment, and adding activities for kids at the complex.

“They should fix this place up before they start worrying about dogs,” said one resident as he walked his four-month-old pit bull puppy, Jada, across the grounds. “This is the projects. It’s not going to get any better than what it is if you stop allowing certain dogs.”

This is part of the May 7, 2009 online edition of The Riverdale Press.

Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.
Click here.

http://riverdalepress.com/send_email.php

http://riverdal epress.com/full.php?sid=8514¤t_edition=2009-05-07
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 7:46am PST 
When are people going to get over the fact that any size dog is just as likely as the other to bite? I work in a big box chain store and I can tell you, for FACT that our groomers get bit by more cockers, mini poodles, yorkies and chis than pitbulls, labs or huskies. Smaller dogs tend to do little to no damage so it's not reported to the media.
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 7:50am PST 
EXACTLY, Gunner! Little dogs can't do as much damage, so no one reports it.

No offense intended to anyone, but I really hope that this posting serves as a wake-up call to those who still believe that their breed won't be affected because it isn't a 'Pit'...
[notify]

Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 8:18am PST 
I agree with what the resident said about getting rid of the big dogs won't make the projects any better. Why can't a city official figure that out?
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 8:33am PST 
While they are at it they should ban cats too. Cat bites can become severely infected, and cat scratch fever is true. Oh, and don't forget those nasty little "pocket pets", like hamsters, ferrets and chinchillas. When those suckers clamp onto you, MAN it feels like they are taking your finger with them. And birds too. Bird bites hurt, especially if it's a bigger bird like a cockatoo. Oh and we can't forget the viciousness of fish.. When you put your hands in your goldfish tank sometimes they mistake your fingers as food.... (sarcasm, before anyone jumps down my throat..)
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 10:16am PST 
What about banning toddlers? I've been bitten far more by kids than any animal. Let's round 'em up and ship 'em off til they are at least 30. Just kidding but you get my point.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 10:38am PST 
Um, "any dog over 25 lbs"?

That's just about any dog that isn't a toy dog! Even some doxies are more than 25lbs O_o
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 10:51am PST 
Oooh, I aspecially agree with the todders ban!! I was bitten by my cousin when she was 3 years old... My finger bled a lot, and THEN it became badly infected. I had to take a weeks course of anti-biotics and had a big bandage wrapped around it shock
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 7:49pm PST 
From what I've read, just as many children in the U.S. and Canada are medically treated for bites by other children as bites from dogs, maybe they should read up on that.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 8:07pm PST 
25 lbs?? COME ON! That's just ridiculous! I had to refrain (and pause before I used it) from using a word not fit for a 7 year old. Meepster is 20 lbs. That's 5 lbs less than 25. And I consider him a SMALL dog. So... technically they're not banning large dogs but ANY DOG THAT ISN'T SMALL. That's idiocy. Complete and utter idiocy.

" and cat scratch fever is true. Oh, and don't forget those nasty little "pocket pets", like hamsters, ferrets and chinchillas. When those suckers clamp onto you, MAN it feels like they are taking your finger with them. And birds too. Bird bites hurt, especially if it's a bigger bird like a cockatoo"

I can attest to all of that. When I was 9, I got cat scratch fever from a kitten scratch. Nasty. It got severly infected and I had lumps all over my arm. My mom spent days until my appointment stressed out because she thought it was cancer. The medicine I took tasted good, though. I was also bit by a hamster. Nasty bite. Literally took my fingernail off. And our bird (while I love him dearly) was never socialized properly. I have been bite and pecked by him time and again. Feels like he's taking my finger with him.

Some people are so... idiotic. What's the point in banning pets? If they REALLY wanna make a difference they should get to the bottom of the real dog problem. The beast on the other end of the leash. naughty

Also, really, posting how often small dogs bite wouldn't make a difference. Then they'll just ban all dogs. You're forgetting- they're not that bright. silenced
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3