GO!

Peeing in the house and throwing up

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ginger

Never leave- through the- front door!

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 5:46am PST 
Question for all my dogsters out there. We have four dogs in our home. All are rescued and loved to the end of time. This past weekend we took Austin for her yearly shots and two other dogs for their allergy shots which they have been getting for years. The fourth dog (Tina) just came along for the ride as she doesn't like to be left out of anything...even if it is a trip to the vet. Once we got home all was well and that afternoon I noticed someone had peed in the bedroom. This is HIGHLY unusual for our family as they are trained and pretty "in your face" when it is time to go potty.

I cleaned it up and simply thought I must have missed the signals for the one who needed to go pee. However, since Saturday (today is Thursday) there have been at least 4 more pee spots in the house and last night Tina woke me in the middle of the night looking like she needed to be sick. I immediately got up and let all the dogs out. Tina went straight for the high grass near the porch and just started eating it. I called them all back in and we went back to bed.

At about 2:00 a.m. my husband had to get up because all of the dogs were stirring around the room so he decided to let them all out as we were unsure who started the chain reaction.

Paul stayed up with three of the dogs and one dog (Braun) prefers to sleep in with me (every morning). While Paul was in the living room watching morning tv, etc. someone threw up. Once he got the throw up cleaned he went into the kitchen to find pee on the floor. Paul lets all the dogs back in the room with me when he leaves for work, so he did. When Paul called to wake me for work he told me about what had happened that morning and said he thought it was Tina. Well, Tina is a bed dog and when daddy is not there she plasters herself right up next to me so I knew she had been in the bed since Daddy let her back in the room. When I was on the phone with my husband I heard a dog throwing up (not Tina as she was next to me) and whoever it was was finished by the time I got the light on.

My problem is (1) I am overly concerned about what might be going on with the sick dog and (2) I am not sure how to find out which one is peeing on the floor since we have four.

To make me worry even more is the fact that our dogs are all rescues. They have all been abused to a certain degree before we decided to love them unconditionally and I am not sure if any of them would handle being at the vet overnight for testing. I am not even sure I can handle that.

Two things are different since Saturday. (1) we got a different dog food that is supposed to be good for skin and digestive systems and (2) we got some Catalyst chews from the vet (which they have had before).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lots of hugs & love from the Smith Family
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 7:11am PST 
Sorry to hear about all this. What are Catalyst chews? I can't find anything on the web about them and yes, I would stop and look at the ingredients before I gave them any more.
hug
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 8:19am PST 
Is it possible to have a urinalysis run at the vet? I also have 4 dogs and when two of them started having accidents inside, which is very unlike them, they both came back as having urinary tract issues. They would pee on soft spots such as my laundry, my bed, my pillow, and the carpet but the one dog would also use the kitchen floor.

The vomiting could be the food and/or the treats. How are they acting otherwise? Eating, drinking, active or lethargic? How is the color of their gums?

Its really hard when you have multiple dogs and can't figure out who is doing what! One of mine vomited all over the house this morning, ate it, then vomited it up again, but this time one of my other dogs was joining in on eating it. They drive me crazy sometimes!

I know I cannot change the food on two of my dogs because they dog get sick easily. There are also treats they can't have because it causes stomach issues.

Good luck on finding out the answers! You may have to play detective on the peeing.

hug
[notify]

Ginger

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 9:00am PST 
Catalyst chews are found if you Google them. They are treats with ingredients for skin conditions and I have been getting them at my vet. As far as their behavior, nothing different. They eat, drink and play. I am not sure how the vet would obtain a urinalysis. Does the dog have to stay overnight for that? Guess I will call my vet on mylinch break to ask that question.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 9:34am PST 
You can collect samples of urine yourself and take them in but I prefer the expensive way. Vets take a sample from the bladder with a long thin needle and then there isn't any contamination from the environment. I have had false positives from other types of urine collection and had to do it over again.

If your dogs were older a simple but not cheap blood test can pick up on a number of degenerative diseases that can be controlled with diet and simple meds. Vomiting and accidents could be a sign of some of those problems as well.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 11:27am PST 
Thank you Sassy. We are hoping for the best. I was thinking of sample collecting myself but think the other option might be best. The throw up actually had grass in it each time so I wonder if they aren't eating the grass in order to clear some stomach issues. I will call the vet now and see what to do about getting each of them in for a test since we don't know which one it is.

Any other advice is also appreciated.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 12:55pm PST 
Ginger - I only found one site that mentioned Catalyst Chews but they did not describe what they were or the ingredients. Is there another site you found as I would like to see what they are?

Thanks
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '09 5:18am PST 
Hello Rosie: mommy will try to find more information on them when she gets a break today. Otherwise, when we are home this weekend (having family time) we will pull the container out and see if there is a site to reference on the label. If that is not available we can simply tell you what the label says and we will wait to hear back from you.

Yesterday mommy came home and there was no pee or throw up. She stopped by the store and got the food we are used to and threw out the Iams food she bought. This morning when everyone got up there was still no pee or throw up so hopefully we are all doing good.

Will get the Catalyst Chew information on here as soon as possible. Love to All my Dogsters!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '09 5:48am PST 
That's good news sweetie!hug
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 9:22am PST 
Good News to All! The throwing up and peeing stopped for 4 days now!! Not sure what happened but all I know is our mommy loves us sooo much that she was ill on Saturday from all of the stress. She had something called panic attacks which she usually has after several days of stress. She's ok now.

To my friend Rosie: Mommy forgot to look at the a(nm catalyst 3 soft chew tabs 120) this weekend b/c she didn't feel good. She is still planning on looking at the ingredients and sending more information to you. We are soo happy to have DOGSTER for this sort of help and also for a great resource in finding new furriends. We love all of youcheerhug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2