GO!

Pretty gross question

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 7:45pm PST 
Since dogs have such sensitive sniffers how bad do you think it is for a dog to spend all day in an apartment with urine saturated carpet? Do you think it could be harmful to their lungs?
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 8:42pm PST 
I don't know that the smell itself would be so much of a concern, as dogs seem to love strongly smelling stuff (esp. urine) but I would be concerned about them breathing in all that ammonia, yes.
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 3:25am PST 
I agree with Baloo. When I was pregnant doc told me NOT to change the litter box, due to the ammonia.
[notify]

Qaisuke Leung

She's like a- Large Long Low- Chihuahua.

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 4:39am PST 
Why on earth are you living with a carpet "SATURATED" in urine?......

Just wondering. Accidents happen for sure, but it sounds like more frequent walks are in order or a crash course in house training that involves a properly sized crate.

And if you can, get that carpet removed. I don't think there's any point in keeping a carpet that reaks of pee and there is really no way to remove the smell completely.

I'm saddened that this question even needs to be asked, because yes, when there is limited ventilation, all that ammonia affects both your lungs and your dog's.
[notify]
Angel Soleil- Shih Tzu

I'm Majesty The- Queen Soleil 1st

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 5:35am PST 
It definitely can affect them as it affects us with the ammonia. Very unhealthy.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 6:12am PST 
I can't imagine it'd be as bad as a hoarder or puppy mill though.
[notify]
Cooper- 1999-March- 13th, 2010

Hangin' with Mr.- Cooper

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 7:21am PST 
Gross.....
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 12:07pm PST 
It's definetly not my house! Luna is house trained! I feel so bad that she is home all day by herself while I am at work, that I take her to my friends once or twice a week. My friend has kids and two shih tzu's that Luna loves to play with. But her dogs do not get walked and are not house trained. Her apartment smells like an amonia bottle. It's disgusting! I have tried to get her to walk her dogs more, I have given her a crate to keep them in when she is not home, I have helped her clean her carpets, and I have told her to use natures mircle to clean accidents. But nothing changes with her. Luna loves going over there. She gets so excited and doesn't hesitate at all about going in. I have been considering stopping the visits because I am worried it's not healthy for Luna to breath that all day, but she doesn't seem to mind and it's my only option for her to not be left alone all day. confused
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 1:12pm PST 
Luna, suggest too your friend to use white vinegar for cleaning up urine accidents. Cheaper and more effective. Actually have her get a new carpet if it's really that bad and make sure the floor boards have not been saturated too.

Also, don't take Luna there anymore. This may be a good friend but definetly not a healthy environment for Luna. Both canine urine and feces can carry diseases and it sounds like this apartment is one big breeding ground. You don't want Luna getting sick, she's your responsibility.

Talk to your friend too about her responsiblity to the health of her children and pets as well.
Taser
[notify]
Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 1:33pm PST 
Ummm if it were me I'd rather my dog stay home all day than in some nasty house silenced
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2