GO!

Ollie's first flight(s)

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 7:04pm PST 
Ollie's got detailed accounts in his diary (one entry per day so you will have to click more entries to see them all), but short story is that he did a really great job with our vacation.

We flew United and checked in online, though we had to check a bag at the counter. Even though Ollie had SDIT patches and I had in my file I was flying with an ESA/SDIT, we were not once asked for ID, papers or anything. They were super nice. We went through security without a hitch, and his first plane ride (5 hrs) was great. He was even better than Sabrina! Space was tight as we sat in regular economy seats because bulkhead was an exit row. But Ollie managed, and at the end of the flight as we were preparing to deboard, everyone around us was totally shocked that there had been a dog under my seat!

The family was all really nice, and everyone loved Ollie. THey couldn't believe he was still just a puppy, and kept complimenting his behavior. We went to a lot of stores, and had some stressful encounters with relatives' chihuahuas. Ollie handled it all like a champ, though he was clearly anxious with the fear-aggressive chihuahua and tried to avoid him as much as possible (unfortunately while I always kept Ollie on leash, others were not so considerate). He has a lot of new fans and friends.

Our plane ride back was pretty stressful as we overslept and so he didn't get a full walk before the flight. It was a longer flight going back (6 hrs) plus we had delays so total time in transit was a little over 7 hrs, making it about 9 hrs since he'd pottied! Aside from a little bit of foot drifting into footspace of people behind us, he was really good for this flight. It was super warm in the cabin so he wasn't as comfortable, and I nearly fainted several times in the first few hours of the flight and again at the end of the flight. But he was a champ and handled it very nicely. He was a little nuts when we got him off duty after that, but I think that is to be expected.

Sabrina had a wonderful stay at the boarding facility, and when I called to check in on her and when I picked her up, they couldn't stop telling me what a wonderful dog she is. The walkers and players (she got 3 15 min walks/play sessions a day) said she is one of the best dogs they've ever had at the facility, and they even gave her a little "rock star dog" report which only goes to exceptional dogs. We're all happy to be home, and I'll hopefully post some photos of Ollie in the airport in a little while.
[notify]
Pebbles - *Retired SD*

Frosty Paws?- Heck yes, I want- some!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 9:31pm PST 
So glad to hear that your trip went well! big grin

--Sheena and Pebs
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 7:13am PST 
cheersnoopycheer
Good job you guys!!
Love, sonja

Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 8:37am PST 
Oh, I'm so glad that everything went so well for you! I knew that Ollie was going to be fine, and I'm happy that Sabrina had a good time too!
[notify]
Nari

Faithful Angel

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 10:45am PST 
That's wonderful to hear!
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 11:33am PST 
Very very nice! I'm glad everything went well!
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 12:13pm PST 
Nice to hear everything worked out well.wave
[notify]
Mordecai-Ret- ired SD

Missing my SD- friends!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 2:30pm PST 
Sounds like Ollie did great! I was so sad to hear that the one chihuahua had never even been outside to pee! What kind of life is that for a dog?
[notify]
Karla (Retired Guide Dog)

Gotta luv me!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 3:22pm PST 
that's wonderful! So glad things went so well for you and Ollie! He is such a handsome boy, I bet folks just loved having him on the flight. Way to go, and many happy travels in your future!
[notify]