GO!

Food Allergies - How Long Should I Wait?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 5:31pm PST 
I've been trying my terrier on a new diet, in case he is allergic to grains, a particular protein(s), etc. After a few weeks, I noticed improvement in his foot/leg licking. It's only been about five weeks since he's been on the new food, but I'm not so sure it's making all that much difference. I know it can take months to really know if a diet is making a difference, but I was wondering just how long it took for other food-allergic dogs to stop licking. Did you guys have to wait months or what? (And if a dog is allergic to both food and environmental things, how do you know if the food is helping?!)
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 5:38pm PST 
Hi smile Stinky has food and environmental allergies. It took about a month, maybe a week less for him to improve diet-wise. He is still allergic to things like pollen that come during this time of the year so he is still a little itchy, but WAY less with the new diet. I give him allergy meds when his enviro. allergies act up wink
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 9:08pm PST 
Vets usually recommend 3 months on a hypoallergenic diet, then gradually add one protein OR carbohydrate source into the diet to see if it causes a reaction.
[notify]

Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 11:41pm PST 
when we switched brodie the vet said to give it 6 weeks and be sure to feed NO treats either as they could have an ingredient in it that he could be allergic to.
it could also be enviromental.
good luck.
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 11:35am PST 
Minimum of 8 weeks but if there is going to be a reaction it should show up with those 8 weeks. But no other food during those 8 weeks, no cookies, no treats, no table scrapes, etc....

If you want to treat use the kibble you are feeding. This way you are not contaminating what you are trying to find out if he is allergic too. There is lots of crap in many of the dog treats, and different ingredients than that of the kibble or canned diet you are feeding. So watch your ingredients lists very carefully on everything that goes into your pup.
[notify]
joey

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 6:18pm PST 
Thanks, everyone. Stinky, I've read a little about your trials and tribulations - good luck! Taser, I agree with you on the treats - I had to search high and low to find a treat that didn't have a lot of bad stuff in it! I've recently stopped including the probiotics and enzymes, and that seems to help - guess it's possible to be allergic to those (sigh!), or maybe it's just coincidental - who knows??? The vet said she has a dog that's allergic to Heartguard, so I suppose anything's possible. I'm kind of cringing now, wondering if all the newly blooming stuff (cherry blossoms, forsythia, etc.) will set Joey back. This allergy thing is pretty daunting!

Edited by author Fri Mar 27, '09 6:21pm PST

[notify]
Momo (formal- name: - Cozmo)

Happiness is- Just a Thing- called Mo

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 7:46pm PST 
If you can afford it, I think it will save you trouble and maybe money in the long run to have your vet run a full allergy panel. I kept switching my dog from premium kibbles, then to grain-free, then to home-cooked food and finally to raw...still allergies...The allergy panel revealed my dog is highly allergic to dairy, egg, lamb, beef, potato and grains.

I had been giving my dog fresh beef, eggs, etc., thinking I was doing the best possible thing. Well, I was giving him ALLERGENS! Now he happily chows down on chicken, fish, pork....no itching, no hotspots!

The allergy panel is a one-time thing.
[notify]
joey

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 7:12am PST 
I will do the allergy testing if what I'm trying now doesn't work. I guess I've been a little reluctant because of the price, the fact that shots have to be given (Joey will barely let me clean his paws, let alone give shots) and the fact that shots don't work for all dogs. However, if it comes to that, I DO plan to go that route - or at least find out what he's allergic to. I have a couple questions, though, for you and others: From the info I read about the testing that my vet recommends, there is nothing about food allergies. (The testing that would be done tests for 60 allergans, but no mention of foods.) Obviously, I need to call and ask my question, but I was just wondering what you and others might be able to tell me in the mean time. Also, do they tell you which grains your dog is allergic to? The California Natural I'm feeding him now has barley, which I assume is a grain, so I'm wondering if I should switch to something that doesn't have that. Also, did they tell you if sweet potatoes were ok, but white potatoes weren't, or aren't they that specific? (I read that white potatoes are problematic for some dogs, but seldom sweet potatoes!)

Edited by author Sat Mar 28, '09 7:15am PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 7:43am PST 
yeah just try the food first. the testing is pricey.
[notify]
Eleanore- Rose "Ellie"

Throw the Ball -- Throw the Ball

Barked: Sat Apr 18, '09 4:53pm PST 
I have terrible, itchy allergies. I scratch so much that I have gotten two skin, bacterial infections --- and they HURT!!!! My veterinarian (believe it or not I LOVE to see my doctor) has me eating Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food. It is VERY expensive. $55 for 16 pounds. The cost for my allergy testing was $150.00. I am waiting on the results now. It takes about a month for the results to come back from the lab.

My mom went to a local herb store. They recommended 1 tablespoon of lecithin a day and one tablet of PB8 (acidopholis) a day. Between the new food and the stuff from the herb store my itching has gotten much better.

Mom mixes the PB8 and lecithin in my food. The PB8 doesn't have a taste. I like the lecithin. Sometimes I just lick it off the spoon.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2