GO!

Talking Huskies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Woofgang

Born to Run

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 11:31pm PST 
Anybody have a talking husky? Mine talks and woos from time to time and it is SOOOO ridiculously cute.

How do you train a husky to speak??
[notify]
Darwin

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 9:53am PST 
My husky talks all the time! We live on a military installation and they play the national anthem over the loud speaker. If my husky is outside he will howl to it. It's great, and makes me laugh. I don't think my neighbors enjoy it as much as I do though. I don't know how to train a husky to speak but when I mimick my husky he gets going even more. I guess you could try talking back to your husky and giving treats to reinforce? But, I'm unsure. If you find out a good way to train them, let us know! smile
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 10:24am PST 
Are you looking for a speak in the traditional sense of a bark, or getting the cute "woos" on command?

Talking and barking are actually genetic. Scientists have experimentally bred lines of Bloodhounds that don't beigh. They still do everything Bloodhounds do, but silently. Interestingly, it seems that talking and barking are not compatible. A dog who talks doesn't really bark, at least not in the traditional sense, and dogs who bark rarely, if ever talk. I just find that cool.

I really would like to get Vance's "bark" on cue myself, it just happens so infrequently that I haven't been able to do it.

Anyway, you would have to either wait for your dog to make the sound you're looking for, say the command as they do it and then reward them.

Or, if you have a way to make them produce the sound (like wooing at them), do that, reward them, and as they understand what you're looking for, add the command to it. So following with the "woo" example, once they woo back every time, you would say "speak" (or "sing" or "tell a story" or "say hi") then woo at them. The command becomes "speak/woo" for a while, and then you can start to drop the wooing until you just say "speak."
[notify]

Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 10:56am PST 
I also have a talking husky!! We have been trying to get her to do it on command by saying "talk to me" when she gets going, but in typical husky fashion, she only does it when she wants to!!
She will howl at the doorbell (ours plays diff. jingles like take me out to the ball game, jingle bells, etc.) which is HILARIOUS. She will also howl at the alarm clock if no one shuts it off right away!
The easiest way for me to get her to talk, aside from ringing the doorbell, is to ignore her. I work Saturdays at a pet supply store, and every Saturday night I come home with a bag of doggie goodies. As soon as I walk in the door Chloe will smell it and of course expect a treat. But I love to just set the bag on the kitchen table as if I dont know she is expecting something. She goes nuts talking up a storm and wooooooing until she gets her treat!!! My friends get such a kick out of it!.

laugh out loud
[notify]
Woofgang

Born to Run

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 2:02am PST 
I was at the dog park the other night with 4 malamutes and a couple huskies and there were sirens in the distance, and they ALL started howling and wooing (except for Woofy- he's an independent spirit, and was strutting around with a tennis ball in his mouth). But the chorus of woos and howls - It was awesome!!

I've decided that Woofy tends to talk and woo when he's nervous or complaining. He tends to do it first thing in the morning - he does a stretch and a kick out and a howl and woo, i think cuz he has to pee. If he's hungry too, he'll start babbling. It's super cute!!

He does talk/whine too when we're in the car sometimes. He doesn't mind city streets, but the freeway or anything over 50 mph makes him a little nervous.
[notify]
Woofgang

Born to Run

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 2:05am PST 
Oh and I taught him the "speak" command too, but unfortunately its in a little bark/yelp and not a talking wooing.

dog
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 4:35pm PST 
I like the stupid little yelp/bark!

All the woos mean something different. Vance doesn't talk unless he feels a need to. So he has woos for "feed me," "out," and "let's leave now," among other things. He also has what I call the "hey stupid!" woo, for when I don't respond to those fast enough. The "hey stupid!" woo is usually given while standing directly in front of the thing he wants. There is a happy woo when I do respond, and he yells at me if I take too long.

When I'm really lagging, sometimes he changes tactics and tells "the saddest story ever." It's more like a whimpering child than a woo.

He's a huge tattle tail too. Don't screw up in front of him. I'll know about it.
[notify]
Tormé

Jazz Wolf

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 6:09pm PST 
Last year I lived with 2 other guys & a girl. Tormé would give his best woo-woos when Laura would come in, and Matt tried & tried to get him to do it on command. I was able to teach him sit, shake, & down (hand commands no verbal!) but nothing else. His talking comes when he's excited or wants to get my attention.
[notify]
Zeus

escape and run- free or get- caught trying

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 11:23pm PST 
My first reply, but my huskies 'talk' all the time! It's so funny to get them both going! I just howl with them and lift my head up like they do. They seem to respond more when I 'howl' into an empty paper towel roll. Echos better. Good luck!
[notify]
Bleu

snazzy-bleu

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '09 5:05pm PST 
Blu does the same thing!!!!!!laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3