GO!

Hair and the lack of it!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Polar - *CGC,TDI

Food - food- snacks - wheres the food?

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 7:45pm PST 
My Siberian Husky had ACL surgery in Dec. The shaved area on the leg has not grown back. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Zoey

A little love is- all I need!

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 7:59pm PST 
Patience! bol! it takes time, Zoey had both knees operated on last Jan and March of '08 and it took many months to get back fully to normal...

I havent heard of anything that speeds up the growth, but I'd imagine anything that does do that wouldnt be too healthy anyways?

As long as your pup is healing well I'd be thankful smile Besides I think its kinda cute!!

GOOD LUCK! blue dog
[notify]
Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 8:01pm PST 
Has it grown back at all? My girl was shaved for some hip surgery and it took her about a year to get it most the way back.
[notify]

Polar - *CGC,TDI

Food - food- snacks - wheres the food?

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 9:14pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. Yes there is some hair growth in some areas especially where we had laser therapy, but some sections are still very pink skin. I keep feeling it so see if there is anything there. Stubs of hair in some areas. After three full months, there are some areas that are totally grown out.

And yes, I am thrilled she is doing really well physically, but she is a Siberian and really loves to be out in the cold. One legged pants would be in store for next winter. smile
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 10:01pm PST 
It's really hard for a double coat to grow back properly when shaved, it often grows back patchy and in some cases, remains a little "off" forever. It's a big part of why shaving double coated dogs is frowned upon. (Obviously not for cases like yours, but for people who do it in the summer thinking they're being kind, etc)

More than likely it will come back eventually, just requires some patience. smile
[notify]
Walter RL1- AoE CGC

I'm a rescue!

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 11:58pm PST 
" It's really hard for a double coat to grow back properly when shaved, it often grows back patchy and in some cases, remains a little "off" forever. It's a big part of why shaving double coated dogs is frowned upon. (Obviously not for cases like yours, but for people who do it in the summer thinking they're being kind, etc) "

That's what I was going to say. I've heard our groomer harp more than once on people who shave their dogs, saying their coat will never be the same frown
I don't imagine it should be too big of a problem on the leg though, as opposed to the back. Monty had his leg shaved to get his blood drawn and he's not double coated, but it took several months to grow back. Walter had a spot on the top of his head shaved 4 months ago and it's still not up to par.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 10:20am PST 
You can put some fish oil in the food...Its great for the skin and coat anyways. Its loaded with Omegas.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 10:37am PST 
Polar, it took a year for my short coat to come back when I had my hip replacement, and then before it was totally back, they had to shave it again... The long coat came back, but the short undercoat never caught up. It might have in time, though.

Sanford is right. Omega Fish Oil with both Omega 3 and 6 is GREAT!way to go
Momo (formal- name: - Cozmo)

Happiness is- Just a Thing- called Mo

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 6:51pm PST 
I actually can help you!

Without going into the gory details, my dog had a totally abscessed tail right after I adopted him; his tail was one large scab and, in fact, the vet thought it might fall off. He was SURE hair would never grow back. BUT when I asked if there was any possible treatment, he said, "There are several scientific studies that show MELATONIN can enhance hair growth in animals." (He then added, "It doesn't work on people, so don't start taking it." LOL) Well, my dog took melatonin daily and not only did his tail not fall off, he now has a fluffy tail again!

Meanwhile, I went to visit the home of the head of Sheltie rescue on Christmas. She has 8 Shelties in her house, and they are all the dogs no one wanted, ie most are very old, came in as strays, etc. WELL THEY ALL HAVE THE MOST GLORIOUS COATS YOU HAVE EVER SEEN! I was amazed, especially as she feeds a NON-premium food, so I asked her what she was giving them. "MISSING LINK SUPPLEMENT" was her answer. I added that to my dog's diet in January and his coat is now so thick that it made the vet LAUGH yesterday. She actually said, "I have never seen a dog with undercoat on his PAWS before!"

So, while I cannot promise these will work, I am very confident that you will be giving your dog the best possible chance of hair re-growth if you start on MELATONIN (available at any drugstore, for humans) and MISSING LINK (widely available at pet stores, including Petco).

Good luck!
[notify]
Zoey

A little love is- all I need!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 7:45pm PST 
good point on the fish oil- i dont know if it stimulates growth but it does help with skin and coat so why not, right? we've started on fish oil recently and the pups love it

when i first got Zoey she had terrible mange--more than half of the hair on her body was gone...I'm telling you she could get her paws in areas to scratch that I didnt think dogs could do! lol...And it took at LEAST a year for the hair to grow back to the same length of the hair that hung on through the whole mange ordeal.... And if you look at her, she definitely doesnt look like a traditional long coat chihuahua (but its ok cuz we think shes adorable anyways)...but the point some of you made about hair not growing back the same seems to be true. I was reading up on the pomeranian thread listing and some people have shaved their dogs and it never quite grew back the same...but it did grow back for the most part...

wellll point being it should come back and thankfully you have plenty of time before winter, so hopefully things will be better by then. If you are still concerned I suppose a call to the vet couldnt hurt...perhaps theres some kind of advice they can offer...

the melatonin does sound interesting though... hmm? shrug
[notify]