GO!

Need Advise Desperately

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 11:47am PST 
Last Thursday I found a dog on my walk with my pups. I took my pups home and went back to her. She was sitting in her own feces and had many gashes in her legs and one on her mouth. I put on a collar and leash and could not get her to move. I thought her back legs might be broken. I called the local police department which in turn called the ASPCA. I only did this out of desperation. I could not get her to move and thought she needed medical attention. When they came and got her she did move but was limping on one of her hind legs.

Since then I have put my name on the adoption list. I already have my two pups and really do not have the time or money to take on this sweet girl but I feel she is my responsibility now. There has got to be a reason that I found her and it was not to put her in the pound to be euthinized.

I have called and they said that she is under vet care but they do not have the ability to do xrays. So she could be sitting there with a broken leg. It just doesn't seem right. I am very concerned that she is sick and can give my dogs something. I will not be able to keep this dog. I am hoping to find someone I know to take her. . . but what if I can't? Would a rescue take her? What if her leg is broken, I can't afford a surgery most likely. I don't even know if this dog has ever been on a leash (from the looks of it I would say no). I don't know if she is house broken. My husband is not happy that we are getting this dog. I don't know what to do right now.

Does anyone know if any testing (HW, Kennel Cough etc) is done before you get a dog from the pound? Does anyone know if this is a situation where a rescue would come in and help me? I am just so concerned about how this is all going to work out. And even more concerned about the health of all my babies. Please if you have any advise at all please please please share with me.

I am at work so I will be checking the thread throughout the day but it may take me a while to get back.

Thank you!
Bella and Gem's Mom
[notify]
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 1:26pm PST 
Hello! What an ordeal!

First, did this dog look to be a particular breed? Breed rescues would be my first outreach, if she looked to belong to a particular breed.

Xrays are an expensive thing, thats probably why your local animal control doesn't normally do it.

In most shelters (depends on your area, too) a rabies shot is given, and a heartworm blood test performed. Sometimes a DHPP shot is also given, sometimes not. Most of the time, bordatella (kennel cough) is not given unless dogs share kennels, in which case they might give her that shot.

Your best bet is to first determine her breed, then if applicable call breed rescues. Next, try all no kill facilities near you or some all breed rescues (check petfinder with your zip code) then maybe call the shelter where she is - or even the vet - and let them know that you are considering fostering until a home is found and is there anything they can do to help you financially.

I wish I could be more help!
Good luck!
[notify]
Bella

Miss Boss

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 1:35pm PST 
Thank you! She looks like a German Shepherd/Rough Collie mix. She is small (60 lbs, I would guess, can you tell my babies are enormous?) and has all the German Shepherd markings and then has the most adorable Collie face and pricked ears. I had a tri colored Collie growing up and she has definetely got the collie face. I just cannot let this pup down. I am going to post Found posters and start making the rescue calls. Thanks!
[notify]

Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 3:04pm PST 
Try speaking with your own vet. They do charity cases from time to time and you certainly would deserve help for your wonderful atempt to save the pup!
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 3:58pm PST 
Bella, you are very sweet to try to help this stray pup!

If you do end up taking her into your home on a foster basis, try to keep her in a completely separate area from your other dogs, at least until your vet has seen her and given her the "all clear."

Presumably your dogs are up to date on their vaccinations so they would be protected from such diseases as Parvo or distemper, but they could be exposed to LOTS of other things a wayward stray might be carrying, like kennel cough, coccidia, giardia, mange, ringworm, the list goes on and on.

What shelters test for and treat varies widely from one to another. It is a question you must direct to the shelter that currently has her.

And I would agree with Donovan, if you have a strong relationship with your vet, see if they would help you out by giving you a discount for this "charity case."

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Sugar

I love you Sug- forever

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 12:41pm PST 
My name is Sugar and I am the dog that Bella, Gem and their mom found. My leg feels better now and I am enjoying being in a home and getting some love and attention.

Thanks all for your help and support! Things have turned out great. We are hanging posters tomorrow and going to find the owners. Thanks!
Bella, Gem and Sugar's Mom
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 12:47pm PST 
So glad to see you living the high life for awhile, sweetie!
Did you ever find out just exactly was the matter with her leg?
[notify]
Sugar

I love you Sug- forever

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 1:09pm PST 
No I asked ASPCA clinic to check it out. When I got there they said they couldn't find anything. And sure enough she is walking on it.applause so I am thinking it was bruised or sprained, and being in a kennel for a week most have given it some time to heal. But we are going to a different vet on Wednesday so we will have them look at it too. Sugar is always going to live the high life here on out. happy dance
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 1:14pm PST 
YAY!!!cheer Are you going to keep her? Sounds like she is really making herself at home therewink
[notify]
Sugar

I love you Sug- forever

Barked: Mon Mar 30, '09 1:18pm PST 
Right now we are going to hang found posters and trying to find the original owners. My husband has already become VERY attached to her. He said that if we do not find someone we know we will just keep her. I have a feeling though when I am ready to send out that email he won't let me because she is already our dog. He was the one who resisted helping her and now he is the one who wants her the most. I really do love her but I am still considering her a "foster" for now. But I have a feeling by the time we get some meat on her bones and know she is healthy and ready to be adopted that my husband will not let her go.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2