GO!

Is your bulldog afraid of stuff

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bob, CGC

To err is- human-to forgive- canine

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 12:55pm PST 
Bob has a much more pronounced fear reaction then my other dogs. If something falls over and crashes my other dogs are only mildy spooked Bob is SCARED! He doesnt get aggresive or anything and his reaction is not a big deal but he will cower and run away. He has had more socialization then any of my other dogs and been to 5 training calsses and starts rally o next so it cant be a lack of socilization thing.

His weirdest fear is that he cannot walk down ourblock without our dog Norbert he gets terrified and wont budge. I offered him hamburger to walk a few steps and nothing. The only thing that ever happened was as a pup he becaome scared of an empty bag on our block and wouldnt walk past it. He has never been afraid of bags anywhere else.

However, he will walk by himself everywhere but at the dog park, we often take him to doggie events with and withour Norbert and to the park and hiking by himse;f and he walks fine.

Is this a bulldog trait, are these tough guys big scaredy cats/
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 6:04pm PST 
YES!
We got Brodie from a breeder at 9 weeks old and he gets scared of all kinds of things.
When I get out a trash bag to put in the trash he cowers when I shake the bag open.
He is scared of the fireplace that isn't even on. I thought it was the pilot light but now it isn't even on and if a toy rolls over next to the fireplace he stretches his paw out as far as he can to try to get the toy but not get too close!
My dogs use potty mats and one time i tried newspaper b/c we were out and he would not even walk on the newspaper! and if the swiffer wet jet is sitting near the potty area he is too scared to go near the mats! like it's some kind of alien.
[notify]
Bob, CGC

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 5:44am PST 
Yeah its funny. Bob's fear is not crippling and he can do some much stuff in public and he loves people BUT if some little thing changes at home it weirds him out. Once I dropped his food bow land their was a crash noise and for awhile he as actually afraid of his bowl, which is odd since his purpose in life is to eat
[notify]

Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 6:17am PST 
Sanford is a Scaredy Cat too. (House Dumb) is more like it. When you come from the store with grocery bags and set them on the counter, he will bark and bark until you let him inspect the item and let him know its ok. If anything falls off a shelf, or a broom falls flat and slides to the floor he freeks. Anything new that you bring into the house he barks at until you let him touch, Sniff it, see it and tell him that its alright. And if you drop ANYTHING on the floor he freeks, doesnt like loud or surprise noises.

Edited by author Mon Mar 23, '09 6:18am PST

[notify]
tofu

I'm in Love with- Green Tripe.

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 9:26am PST 
Tofu is scared too i got him at 10weeks and he stayed under my table most of the time for 2-3 days and now if im working in the garage he will run around to the front door. if you drop something he runs and barks. Whenever i try to walk him he won't pass my driveway. But if i take him to a park he won't leave my side that's without a leash. Other dogs come over to my house to try and play with him he won't move just watches them. kinda weird but who knows he's good to me smile
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 11:30am PST 
at xmas we have this little stuffed raindeer that plays music that we set on the mantle. this yr brodie would stare at it and stare and sometimes bark at it like it was alive (and we didn't even have it turned on)
and if a toy would go under the xmas tree he would act too scared to go under there and reach his paw out as far as he could and try to paw it out!
we were glad of this though bc it meant he wouldn't mess w/the tree or ornaments.
[notify]
Lily, CGC,- Ringo, CGC &- Ebi

We are so cute!- Wanna snuggle?

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 6:08am PST 
Oh yes, for sure a bulldog trait. New things in the house are scary, things blowing in the wind outside are scary, baby gates are scary, ladders, aluminum foil, trash bags, loud noises, things falling ... yup, all very very scary smile

They may look tough, but I think being a scardy cat is part of the breed.
[notify]
Aibou

Big Boy

Barked: Sun Apr 12, '09 4:48am PST 
I don't agree with most of the posters. I just did a quiz from one of Stanley Coren's books and our boy scored super low - almost off the scale - for anxiety (ie he is very non-anxious).

I agree our boy doesn't greatly like changes and also when a whole lot of dishes fell down once he jumped back startled (but it gave me a bit of a fright too). But I've gone out of my way to show him that things like vacuum cleaners, mowers etc are no big deal - and he couldn't care less about any of them, and now either ignores or even runs after the trains which gave him a fright as a puppy when an express roared right overhead.

I wonder Bob if you're not confusing bulldog stubbornness with fear when you say Bob won't go down the street. When our boy was younger I didn't properly understand that when he absolutely refused to go round the block on a walk, it was because he wanted me to take him in the car to the bush walk.

I really don't think our boy is afraid of anything.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 5:47am PST 
No Aibou, It is very quit Common that Bulldogs get spooked easy. Every Bulldog owner That I know, say they their Dog Typically gets scared or spooks easy with certain things.
[notify]
Bob, CGC

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 7:57am PST 
Its definitely not stuborness, its fear. Bob is not that stuborn, I dont think, compared with my other dogs. But then pugs are notoriously stuborn too. Bob is actually quite obedient and does very well at training. With the walking thing he freezes up and is quite obviously scared, and when he does walk he walks sideways and the slightest noise has him jumping. He walsk fine elsewhere so something and some point must have scared him on our street.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3