GO!

scratching like crazy - worried

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bella

Mighty Mite

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 1:55pm PST 
Bella came home from the groomer a couple weeks ago scratching. I couldn't figure it out then a couple days later I found 2 fleas. Got the Revolution treatment and hoped all would be well. Last night she kept me up all night crying and scratching. The only way I could keep her quiet was to put her on her back and rub her tummy - she loves tummy rubs - and I did that just about all night. This morning I gave her a bath with doggie oatmeal shampoo hoping that would help relieve her. I didn't find any fleas - I've been checking her out 10 times a day and haven't found any after the 2 I killed. Poor Bella is going nuts with the itch - I have made an appt with the vet this afternoon (which I really can't afford|) but I can't let her keep scratching herself and be so uncomfortable. If it's not fleas does anyone know of anything else that may cause excessive scratching? I haven't made any changes to her diet other than giving her distilled water instead of tap. That's the only thing I can think of that I'm doing different.
I'm feeling kind of sick right now - hate to see her suffer.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 2:55pm PST 
Our ShihTzu was horribly allergic to fleas. One bite would send him into scratching frenzies that would cause him to tear his skin up until it became infected, so we were extremely careful to use Frontline on him, but it got to where it didn't work well, and it was a real struggle. After we lost him, we got Jasper, who is also allergic to fleas. We didn't know that when we took him from the shelter, but we love him anyway. Frontline didn't do enough. Bathing wasn't enough to soothe him. I finally gave in and got Comfortis from our vet. It's a pill that is given once a month and makes the fleas that do bite him die immediately. Between giving him that and treating the yard with Beneficial Nematodes, we see very, very few fleas. So if your baby is flea allergic, I can recommend those alternatives. However, if it's a food allergy or something else, it may take a lot of trial and error to figure out. Good luck!

Pokie & Jasper's mom
[notify]
Bella

Mighty Mite

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 3:09pm PST 
I have an appointment for her today. She seems to be a little more comfortable now but I don't want to take any chances. I think she is very flea sensitive - I hope it's not diet!!!!! I'm going to ask our vet about Comfortis.....what is Beneficial Nematodes???? I've never heard of that?? thinking
[notify]

Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 3:11pm PST 
Oh, yes! Poquito is right! Flea allergy dermatitis!
Even though you killed those 2, the bites are itchy for a long, long time after. (Think of the maddening itch of mosquito bites.)
I have flea allergies, too.
Stupid fleas.
[notify]
Bella

Mighty Mite

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 5:10pm PST 
Back from the vet with meds for the itch. Bella is reallysensitive to fleas. $142 later.....but that included the blood test pre spaying - I'm getting brave enough I think, and it included 1 pill to kill any fleas that may still be around for 7 to 8 hours - love those flea killers. I also found out the vet had just attended a conference and is not recommending Revolution treatment for fleas any longer so will be giving Bella Sentinal for fleas, heartworm and worms from now on. We don't have the monthly flea pill that was mentioned in previous posts in Canada but Sentinel seems to be the same type of monthly pill. Bella has settled down a little and is getting a little peace now. I don't think I could have spent another night of belly rubs all night...she just melts when we rub her belly! LOL
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 6:50pm PST 
Bella,
I just noticed your homepage says you live on Vancouver Island. We used to live in Vancouver, and I remember the flea issue was really bad there...must be the mild winters and moist air (which fleas love!). I'm glad you have some Sentinel...we were on Sentinel, too, and that seemed to keep things at bay. However, it doesn't kill adult fleas, so after we got back from the groomers Mommy used to give us Capstar to kill the adults. It was freaky how they'd just drop off the body like little crunchy pepper flakes.

Those fleas can be expensive!
[notify]
Bella

Mighty Mite

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 7:28pm PST 
Hi Winnie Lam - we did get a Capstar pill today from the vet and will get more to kill those little buggers if she gets hit again. We do have flea problems here but thank goodness there is no heartworm on the island! I am surprised the fleas are already around as we've had a very cold winter for our area - thought they would be another month or two before they caused problems.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 10:52am PST 
Hi Bella. Hope that all works out for you. Beneficial nematodes are microscopic organisms (imagine little bugs) that live in the soil and will kill harmful insects, fleas, mosquitoes, etc. You get them from your garden center. Be sure to tell them what you want to use them for. You put them into a sprayer on the end of a garden hose and drench your yard. You wouldn't think some invisible little organisms would do anything, but they do! Just look it up online. You're too cute to have to deal with fleas!

Pokie
[notify]