GO!

Breeding

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Milly

Barked: Sun Mar 8, '09 3:21pm PST 
is it best for a female dog to have one litter of pups? I am thinking of breeding Milly and would love to know what you all think of it.
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Sun Mar 8, '09 3:31pm PST 
I think if you're going to be responsible and have done your research it's fine.
As long as you have done a LOT of research (I often see that you should do research for at least two years) are willing to get ALL of the health tests done on BOTH dogs, are willing to take back the puppies if they don't work out in their new homes, and do home checks to insure that they are going to a good home and that your dog is a perfect representation of the breed.
Also, many things can happen that could put your dog and the puppies in jepordy health wise. Are you prepared to lose your friend due to complications? Can you afford all of the vet bills that will be involved - even more so if anything should happen during the pregnancy.
As far as if I believe that a dog SHOULD have a litter of pups, I disagree. There are a LOT of dogs out there that don't have homes, so please make sure that you have ALL of your bases covered before going ahead with thisway to go
[notify]
Jenny, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 8, '09 6:48pm PST 
"Abby" covered the bases really well! I would add that a neutered dog makes a MUCH better pet, and having puppies can sure change your sweet pet's temperament in a big hurry.
As for having a litter being better... NO WAY, NO HOW. Neutering at the appropiate age makes sense both medically and emotionally. Boy dogs begin to mark everything in sight, and girl dogs are emotional wrecks when in heat (which is going to happen at least twice before she's old enough to be tested and bred), and when nursing babies. She will also be very protective of those pups and it's not unusual for her to bite human family members.
And, NEVER forget the risk of losing your beloved pet while having puppies... it happens more than you can imagine. My lab bitch nursed an orphan litter of 12 boxers with her last litter... the mom died while having them, and I have an orphan poodle pup here right now whose owner lost the mom during a c-section. Thankfully in both cases there were nursing moms available to take the orphans.
[notify]

Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Mon Mar 9, '09 9:22am PST 
I agree with Jenny.

If you want a devoted pet - do not breed her. Once they get into "momma" mode, they don't completely come back. Even if you have her spayed after, she knows what its like to be a mother and that's always part of her drive. The drive to procreate is the strongest instinct in nature.

If they're spayed/neutered before they know what they're missing - they seem more sweet and devoted to humans rather than other dogs/puppies.

Just my opinion... I've had dogs who've had puppies, but my dearest sweethearts have been the ones who were altered early and never had any pups at all.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Mar 9, '09 3:52pm PST 
I agree with the rest way to go

Dogs can change personality wise after litters both males and females.

I notice your from the UK and i would advice you greatly to do your research on breeding, talk to other breeders, visit clubs, check for desirable studs. Make sure you do health checks on Millie and that the stud also has the relevant health tests. With the controversial Documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed, you'd be ignorant not to health test. What does Millie offer to the breed?

Breeding costs alot of Money, you put alot more money into breeding then you get back. Health tests alone can cost alot.

Do you have potential homes already for the pups?
Do you plan to vaccinate the pups?
Will they be home reared?
How much socialization can you give the pups before they leave your home?

I'm sorry but if you even had to ask this question, your not ready to breed. Go and do some research over a few years and then see if you feel any different.
[notify]
Kiara

Mommie's Li'l- Princess !

Barked: Mon Mar 9, '09 9:18pm PST 
Kiara is from a supposedly reputable breeder. She has a horrible condition, a liver shunt. ALL of her vets have told me that these hereditary conditions have evolved mainly from over breeding within a spefic breed. Ibred my wonderful "pair" of Pomeriaians twice...many years ago. It was so difficult to be responsible for their pup's lives after they left our home. You have to do EVERYTHING possible to carefully select the families whom you feel WILL CHERISH THEIR NEW FAMILY MEMBER...IN SICKNESS & IN HEALTH! Some folks just don't get the family member part. I had to refuse adoptions (@ their "Visit" time) to some, even after careful phone screening. I would never again want to pretend to be soo psychic as to bet even one pup's life on it! Between Kiara's Liver Shunt & my desire to avoid being terribly judgemental of other people, I Thank GOD I chose to have her spayed...long before her "defect" was apparent! She's my baby...nobody's Mom! I'm new here & not a breeder. I don't mean to frighten you, but breeding is a HUGE risk...for everyone concerned. As it turns out, Kiara would most likely have died. At best, her torturous condition would have worsened & been propigated further in innocent little lives. Just CHERISH your Precious family member! Thanks for taking my two cents! 'All The Best!
[notify]
Pumpkin Pie

Picky Pumpkin

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 7:50pm PST 
Agreed.
If you have reasearched for a long time. I have been researching for over three years, and I still learn something new everyday. The dog must be purebreed, and the male must be purebreed. Both parents need to have a test taken by a vet. The parents need all shots. Puppies need their shots too. Both parents should be registered, and for that, their parents have to have been (or have to be) registered too. You have to make sure the parents don't have brucellosis as the puppies can die shortly after birth from it. If for example: only the bitch has it, through sexual intercourse she will pass it to the male. You need to be ready incase you have to hand raise some or all puppies. You have to find wonderful homes for them. You have to find a male in stud. Never breed a dog that has temperament problems

It costs time and money to breed. Lots of it.
[notify]