GO!

fact or myth

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ebony Mae

I'm a leo, adore- me...

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:19pm PST 
is it true that spayed females put on more weight or is this just an old wives tale?
[notify]
Peg (In- Loving- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:26pm PST 
It depends on the female dog, Peg did after she was altered despite extra excercise and reduced calorie intake, and a friend of mine had a female Corgi who also put on weight after a spay, but I know of a female Husky who stayed just as fit altered as un. I would suggest increasing the amount of excercise the dog gets and possibly feeding a special lower-fat food, that did help with Peg, but it did take awhile for her to shed the extra weight she put on.
[notify]
Memory of my Moms Pomeranians

Best In Show- Even At The- Bridge

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:33pm PST 
It is and isn't a rumor.

Some dogs do put on weight after a spay. But, for the most part, they don't. The reason SOME dogs will put on weight is a hormonal thing. Their hormones go out of whack and they get a little chuby. However, that can sometimes be prevented through extra exercise after they're completely healed from the surgery. Though, I have known a few females to never put that weight off. However, most female dogs don't put on any weight afterwards. And, if they do, they lose it as soon as their exercise routine is back to normal.

The reason many dogs get obese after getting spayed or neutered is because the days after the surgery, they don't do much because they're in pain. And, face it, a lot of people don't walk their dogs like they should or feed them too much or both. So, when a dog is lazy and not even getting up from the couch for a few days... and, then goes back to his normal routine of eating too much and not walking... well, chances are, he's not gonna lose the weight he gained when he was lazy.

But, like I said earlier and like Peg said, there are some exceptions. Most of my moms pomeranians and our family dogs, however, did not put on any extra weight. Tasha did, but she lost it the next week. And, we did have ONE shepherd that did. We put her on a diet, walked her every day three times a day, and she stayed fat.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Because, I find it to be a rare case that the dog gets obese after the surgery. wink A little chubby? Maybe. Obese? It happens, but not as often as rumored to.

Edited by author Fri Feb 27, '09 4:34pm PST

[notify]

Ebony Mae

I'm a leo, adore- me...

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:51pm PST 
ebony mae is not obese by any means, her last weight about a year ago was 50 lbs, although the vet and techs seemed to think she was 'heavy' but he attributed it to her being altered although i had never heard of such a thing. when we're out walking people ask if she is pregnant and when i say no they often say she is fat. ebony is a middle size dog and while she gets exercise and a good diet she has filled out some. she'll be three this year and well here in mexico most dogs are near anorexic so when my full bodied girl comes along they often think she is fat.
[notify]
Memory of my Moms Pomeranians

Best In Show- Even At The- Bridge

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:57pm PST 
Hmm... I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It sounds, to me, like she's just a little chubby. I'd give her an extra walk or some form of extra exercise a day and see how she does.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 5:01pm PST 
Lets put it this way:

When MOM got spayed, she gained some weight due to the change in hormones. But they soon leveled out.

You just gotta keep her active, and not overfeed her. way to go
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 5:27pm PST 
Of the six spayed females I have had, only one was a weight gainer. The others were lean. I got Sasha just after she had puppies and was spayed by the rescue. She gained weight easily, but she may have been that way before the spay, too, or it could have been from having the puppies. Lots of exercise and a controlled amount of food kept her trimmed down. Lily has been spayed and is very lean. Moira will be spayed in March. We'll see if there is a difference.
[notify]
Raven

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 6:54pm PST 
Yes, they can gain weight but it's not exactly about the hormones. It takes a lot of calories and energy for a body to maintain ovaries, eggs, and a uterus. That's why females can't get pregnant all the time, their bodies couldn't handle if they did. Sperm, on the other hand is relatively "cheap" as far as body energy goes and males can reproduce all the time.

So when you take away the body's need to maintain those reproductive parts then it doesn't use as much energy/calories... if you don't decrease the food amount and increase the exercise amount then yes, your female will gain weight. When puppies are spayed you probably don't notice the weight gain as much as if an adult female is spayed.
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 7:31pm PST 
Yeah, I don't care what the reason is...All I know is that I got fatter after I got "fixed," even with the extra marching around the neighborhood (which Mommy insists on calling "walks")!

Now I eat "diet" food while my stupid brother gets the good stuff.

Life's just not fair for a tubby, spayed dog like me. cry
[notify]
Rusty

It's all about- ME!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 7:44pm PST 
Ahh don't feel bad Winnie, I got fat after my neuter. I think it's the Dad giving me too many cookies. *eye roll*
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2