GO!

Chiwawa puppy chewing up everything

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Floyd, in- loving- memory

Howiling at the- moon is fun

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 7:16am PST 
A good friend has recently purchased a Chiwawa puppy and it is chewing up everything including her and so she has asked me for help! However, my experience is with larger breads, notably German Shepherds and the techniques I have used in the past are not working or at the very least, are difficult to implement.

What I’m looking for is Chiwawa or small, Toy bread specific advice on helping the dog through these early days of teething, however, also any advice on preventing it from developing a chewing fixation, which I have seen several times in other dogs and know is a very difficult habit to break.

One problem is finding suitable toys given the puppies size. Another is exercise; I’ve always found that by keeping them busy and allowing them that time to tire themselves out playing with a Kong toy in the yard works wonders, But I’m not sure what would be suitable for a Chiwawa.
[notify]
Annabelle

I Hope You- Dance....

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 1:54pm PST 
Here is a very good article that might help. Instead of posting bits & pieces, I thought the whole article might be valuable to a Chihuahua guardian.

class=bodyTextRev target=site onClick="alert('Dogster Alert: You are about to visit an outside link that was submitted by this pet owner.');" href="http://www.chihuahua-chic.comChewingandBiting.html">CHI TRAINING

class=bodyTextRev target=site onClick="alert('Dogster Alert: You are about to visit an outside link that was submitted by this pet owner.');" href="http://www.chihuahua-chic.comChewingandBiting.html">CHI TRAINING

OR if the above link doesn't work:

http://www.chihuahua-chic.com/ChewingandBiting.html

Me & Rex were like little sharks when we were puppies. I won't even begin to tell you what all we chewed up, tried to eat, or attempted to taste. BOL!! Let's just say we couldn't be left alone for even minute. That's all it took to get ahold of Dad's expensive headphones! And Mom's expensive to her shoes! My they were tasty!

Anyway, it took diligence, consistency, & attentiveness from the WHOLE family, in order to train us, although Mom says we learned quickly.

But until we got out of the teething phase, our family members made sure we had the appropriate sized and safe chews. Mom found them at Petsmart, but your friend may be able to find them at other places.

Your friend could also try this: Get an old, clean washcloth or small sized cloth. Wet thoroughly and place in freezer till frozen. Let puppy chew on this to help soothe those aching gums. Make sure they are supervised at all times, with ANY of their chew toys, rawhides, or teethers.

Also, always remember to never "punish" the dog (or any animals for that matter), just constantly reinforce & praise positive behavior.

Best of luck to your friend and we wish them a world of joy with their new puppy!

hughughughughughug

Edited by author Sun Feb 15, '09 2:00pm PST

[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 5:52am PST 
Rosie never ever chewed anything up but she loved to chew fingers when she was teething - she had needle teeth too. Thankfully this only lasted for about two/three weeks and when the teething was over she didn't chew on us again. I tried all the usual things like distracting her attention, putting other toys in her mouth but nothing worked. She also has never liked a kong particularly. I really don't know what to suggest but I hope that you find something or the pup stops the chewing when teething is over.

I did find some puppy chews at Petsmart and she loved to chew on those. But I see you are in the UK so I am not sure of the variety there but they must have them.

Good luck.

Edited by author Tue Feb 17, '09 5:54am PST

[notify]

Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 8:45am PST 
We have a 2yr old chihuahua, we've had since 8wks. He has always been pushy and bossy with lots of energy. In his 1st few mo's with us he bit us all the time, not just mouthed. H was one of our most difficult pups to break of this habit. We got him little Nyabones and he would chew on those to burn up some nervous energy. Also whenever he bit or mouthed us, we'd stop holding or playing with him. If we we're on the couch, we'd put him on the floor and not let him come back up if or untill we invited him. Tell your friend to *always* use a toy when playing with her pup, never just hands. This will encourage the pup to chew the toy instead of fingers. It took time to change our chi's behavior, but it was worth it. Teaching a chi pup proper manners is no different from teaching any other breed.

Puppy training video's &info
[notify]
Toby

As if I could- get cuter!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 9:11am PST 
I was in a similar position recently trying to find toys, or anything doggy, small enough for a chi pup, the breed isn't common in the UK, so things just aren't made that small.
So far I've found teeny tennis balls from pets at home, a fabric ball that he can get his teeth into from mothercare (baby safe), and a fuzzy cat toy on a fishing pole. I also found he can chew the smallest nylabone if you can find one.
You need to be inventive, but things can be found. Then tire him out and substitute toys for whatever he' chewing, he'll learn eventually.
If the chewing is a huge problem, they could try using a playpen for a while?
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 12:15pm PST 
Chihuahua. Buy some bully sticks.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 12:40pm PST 
For most chihuahua puppies a bully stick might be too big but worth a try if you can find a small one. Rosie has never liked bully sticks. She likes things she can sink her teeth into laugh out loud
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 12:56pm PST 
Rosie our 5lb chi only likes our Bullmastiffs gargantuan Nylabones, the biggest ones they make. He looks like Dino from the Flintstones carrying a brontosaurus bone. He will steal all of them and haul them up the couch, like a cheetah carrying its kill up into a tree. He then drops them into his bed on the back of the couch by the window sill. One by one he collects them all. Then he'll fall to sleep on top of them like a little squirrel. Oh but not a nice fluffy cute little squirrel. If Kahuna or Tomba try to take them back, he trys to bite them. At which time they retreat of course.
[notify]
Hucky

Have Teeth, will- Chew

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 1:24pm PST 
Tell your friend to count her blessings that she doesn't have a 100 lb black lab that chews.big laugh On a more serious note, what I did with Hucky, I took and old sock or any kind of material, tied it in a knot, soaked it with water and froze it over night. It made a great teething toy. He's 15 months old and I still have the original one that I made him 5 months ago and he still plays with it.
[notify]
Floyd, in- loving- memory

Howiling at the- moon is fun

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 2:57pm PST 
Hi and thank you everyone for the advice.

I think part of the problem was that she assumed that because her new puppy Frida is so small, she couldn’t get into too much trouble, however, as I have pointed out many times, regardless of size, or bread, one should never, ever, underestimate the mischievous abilities of a bored puppy. Although she was soon to discover just how much trouble little Frida could find when she fell asleep with her and a box of Kleenex on the bed. Lets just say she awoke to a Kleenex snowstorm. Teehee. Yes I am still laughing three days later…

Thank you Annabelle that article is very good. We tried some of the other techniques although I had wondered about using the pinch technique as a last resort but given the Frida’s size, my concern would be of injuring her. Although I think one problem is consistency. The children are not interested in that side of training, and they are proving far more difficult to train than the dog.

I am encouraging her not to play unless she is doing so with a toy, although I had forgotten about Nyabones coming in small sizes. Neither my current, or previous Shepherd’s liked them, so they had slipped my mind but that is a good idea.

The play pen is also a good idea too, one problem with her size is keeping track of where she is.

Although I live in the UK, my friend lives in Virginia; I know her local Petsmart at one time had a range of very small Bully Sticks, I actually knew someone there who used to buy them for his parrot. Bol!. They almost looked like shavings, but she couldn’t find anything at her local store and no one new if they still carried them.

I’ll be speaking to her tomorrow and will pass along all the great advice; I think if she keeps things consistent everything will be fine. I’ll let you know how her training progresses.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2