GO!

Not sure if it is time...worried that it may be

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sammy

It aint over til- it's over...

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 10:23am PST 
My 14+ year old lab/x (Sammy) has started to lose control of his bladder (not a lot but it seems to be in the morning when he is resting on his fav blanket). He also is almost blind with cataracts and loses his balance quite often. He has become extremely clinging and has started sleeping behind things (in corners, etc). He still has an appetite but I think he will have one til the end...(he loves his food). I have noticed a huge increase in thirst over the past couple of weeks, he has also loss weight in his hind end....it is difficult to tell if he is in pain because he has the same quiet mannerism all his life. I just want to know if anyone has had experience or can relate to what is happening with him. He is my original pup and I love him but I also do not want him to be in pain if he is in pain (I am not completely sure). I am concerned over him peeing his bed as he has NEVER done that and has always been able to hold himself for long periods of time (just a note, when he has loss bladder control he had already gone outside to potty), I have always heard this is a big indication that your pup is nearing the end....
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 11:30am PST 
Have you had a urine test done? I would have the Vet check him over and then discuss what his quality of life is.

I know the decision is never easy, and my thoughts are with you!!
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 11:49am PST 
I would talk to your vet and ask for an honest opinion about quality of life. It could be that she is just sick with an infection or something, or it could be 'near the end.' It is very hard to make that decision, especially when they are just getting older. cry We faced that with the dog I had growing up. She just kept holding on even though it was obvious that she was not herself and was not feeling well. I think you just have to look at her overall quality of life. And if you do think it is time, don't feel bad about it. It is hard, but better it be a little too early than a little too late. Our little dog held on for so long and as much as I miss her, I almost wish we had let her go sooner, she was clearly so unhappy. cry

Good luck to you. hughughughughughug
[notify]

Sammy

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 1:14pm PST 
Hi everyone, thank you for replying. First I would like to offer my condolence for your losses.

I brought Sam to the vet about a month or so ago for an eye infection, which is when my vet told me he is almost completely blind but can still see shadows due to his cataracts. She also said he had loss a great deal of muscle mass and has arthritis. The vet actually asked me what I would like to do (meaning if I wanted to put him to sleep...) that question upset me because that was not my intentions when I brought him, I was not prepared for that question. I panicked and said I just want him to be comfortable for the remainder of his days, however long that may be. She gave me some antibiotics for his eyes (topical) and some pain killers just to ease his pain. The vet said I can get more of the pain killer when I run out because she also agreed that Sam should not have to suffer. I guess my vets have left it up to me and I do believe Sam will be like your Angel and will hold on til the very end. It is just such a difficult decision.
[notify]
Raven RIP- 9/17/97-12/1- 6/08

Running free- with Daddy at- the Bridge

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 6:05pm PST 
I chose Raven's time when I did for many reasons. First, the pain medications were definitely not helping enough any more, and she was at the maximum recommended dosage. Second, the site where her tumor had ulcerated was getting larger, and her anal glands were leaking at night. She was clearly upset by the mess in her bed in the mornings. Third, she wasn't wanting to eat much and her thirst levels were also very high. I'd kept a diary of all her symptoms and habits, and I could see that she was having more bad days than good ones. I knew then that I had to let her go while she still had her dignity. I didn't want her to completely fall apart in her last days.

You're the one who'e been with this loved creature from the beginning, so only you can know when the time is right.

My heart goes out to you.
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 7:53pm PST 
I'm sorry you have to make such a tough decision , Sammy sure is a good looking old gent , I wish I had some words of wisdom to help you..
Thoughts & Prayers
Rommel & Thor
[notify]
Sammy

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 1:44pm PST 
Well, Sammy had a couple of good days, no loss of bladder control until yesterday. He drinks so much water and everytime he goes out side to pee, he pees quite long, like he has been holding it all night. Sammy has always been such a clean boy and he hates that he has his accidents. I try to make him not worry about it and tell him it is okay. On a good note, he hasn't loss his appetite, even though he is losing weight. The vet basically thinks I should keep him comfortable until we decide he has had enough but it is so difficult. The end is coming and I wish they did not have to age so quickly. I honestly do not know how every other pet owner deals with this, unfortunately I will most likely be finding out. cry I do not honestly know if I can be the one to take him to the vet. My daughter has said she will take him since he technically was her dog and she grew up with him (my daughter is turning 20). I love my Sammy dog...he was afterall, the original dog in the pack.
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 2:04pm PST 
Oh I know. It's so hard and it's so unfair that they go so young. cry Please think about going with him when the time comes. I say that only because I chickened out and didn't go in with Angel. I stayed in the waiting room and my stepdad took her in. I will never forgive myself for leaving her side like that. cry
[notify]
King Ceasar - 1999- Dec-2009 Feb

Horesy man

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 3:07pm PST 
I totally understand what your going through. My 10 yr old Great Dane Ceasar was having similar problems. Believe me when i say knowing when the time is right is one the hardest descisions. confused
[notify]
Remy- (1999-2007)

Born to Love (- especially my- Mother!)

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 6:25pm PST 
As someone who had to say goodbye to an almost 14 year old cocker and my beloved Rems who had just turned eight years old - here's what I know and I hope can help you: It's always sort of up to the dog and your connection to that beloved pet - to let you know. With my cocker, Bailey - I knew it was going to happen for about three or four days prior - because he seemed to be declining - and mind you this was a dog who, God Bless Him - could not really hear that well for the last year of his life - and seemed to just like to sleep a lot - but as long as he ate and wanted to go outside and looked happy I knew he was fine. The last week of his life - he didn't even want to go out and pee in the morning - it was me and Rems who were more worried than anything else - and then on the Saturday night of that week - Bailey looked at me with a face that said "It's time to let me go" so the next day I did.
With Rems - it was very difficult because he was just eight years old and this dog was my HEART - but if you read his diary - I think you will understand, and hopefully be enlightened by my experience, I hope this helps - and you are both in my prayers, Marlene
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3