GO!

Diarreah and now constipation

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Emma

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 6:47pm PST 
I gave my standard poodle a piece of leftover beef (bad idea, will never do again) and she had diarreah with mucus the next day. She did not eat for two days (just drank water) and then she ate her normal food two days in a row but did not poop on those two days and today she won't eat or poop. Should I continue to offer food? Can I give her something OTC? She's a bit lethargic, should I wait this out? Any suggestions appreciated.
[notify]
Mochi

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 8:35pm PST 
I recommend you go to the vet right away. The earlier the better.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 5:41am PST 
If you cant get to the Vet right. Try some canned Pumpkin. not the pie filling, Just plain canned pumkin. It will help with Constipation and diarrhea
[notify]

Hennie

I'm a trooper!

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 9:05am PST 
I would not wait this out. Anytime I see diarrhea and they are not acting right my first thought is "worms" or God forbid, the "P" word - Parvo. If your's has been vaccinated and they have not been around other dogs, don't panic about possible parvo.

If you can't get her/him to the vet's make sure dehydration does not become a problem. Look at the gums and make sure they are a healthy pink and do the "skin test". If you think he/she is becoming dehydrated start giving water or pedialyte thru a medical syringe - orally.

I've got a post up right now because I am dealing with a dog that has Parvo, and I'm treating them at home.

Will he/she eat boiled chicken and rice?
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 9:19am PST 
You need to go to the vet asap. Don't wait.
[notify]
Emma

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 12:59pm PST 
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I resumed adding a tablespoon of organic coconut oil in her food that night and she ate it and pooped normal the next morning. I am relieved but I'm keeping a close eye just in case and so far so good. No more tablefood for Emma! I have only had her for a month so we are still getting to know her. I've read a lot on the benefits of coconut oil for people and dogs and it certainly keeps her regular.
[notify]