GO!

Hush!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Spike

Don't Berate,- Educate!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 1:27am PST 
Our new pup does not bark. Except when he is trying to get Spike to play with him. I do not want him to bark. I want him to be quiet. What are good ways of getting him to stay quiet?
[notify]
Monkey

I like cookies

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 4:34am PST 
Dogs bark. Why is it wrong to bark to play? I understand not wanting excessive barking, that will take training and consistency.
[notify]
Spike

Don't Berate,- Educate!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:17am PST 
Let me rephrase then... He barks excessively while trying to get Spike to play at three in the morning. I live in an apartment complex with very thin walls. We aren't supposed to have animals. He is in training to become a service dog (other dog already is), but the landlords are rather... pains in the butt and are trying to evict us because of the dogs. I would really rather not give them any reason if we have to go to court. Barking excessively in the middle of the night would be a reason.

Additionally, I only want him to bark when it is appropriate -- ie, when someone is at the door or when I ask him to.

I now this will take training and consistency, but I don't know how to train a dog not to bark. I've never had the issues before. Hence why I am asking.

Edited by author Tue Jan 27, '09 5:18am PST

[notify]

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:33am PST 
Don't let him have freedom to try to play with Spike at 3am. That's the simple answer. Get a crate, train him to love it, and put him in it when it's bed time. Keep it in your bedroom if possible so he won't feel lonely. The pup is 7 weeks old so right now he's just being a puppy. Don't let him out of the crate if he fusses or he will fuss through the night.

As for your landlords I have to sympathise with them... I work at an apartment complex and I have to tell you rules are there for a reason. If you signed a lease saying you would not have pets then they have every right to evict you. If they DO allow pets then you should be able to put down a deposit which will allow you to keep them and the apartment. If your dogs have done damage when you're evicted expect a large bill, and to be taken to court if you don't pay it.

Rules are there for a reason - surely if you had/wanted pets you should have found a pet friendly community??
[notify]
Spike

Don't Berate,- Educate!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:52am PST 
Dougal.. Let me explain. My dogs are not pets. They are necessary medical equipment. Every landlord in the US is required by federal law to allow service animals and emotional support animals. It is quite illegal for them to evict me because of my necessary medical equipment. It's called discrimination, which is also very illegal.

Not to mention at least three other people in the (small) complex have animals. One person I know has service animals, but I know for a fact that at least one of the other people's very large dog is "just" a pet. Yet, the landlords are allowing that dog. Which howls and barks inceasantly, not to mention poops very large poops that the owner does not clean up in the walkway between the park area and my apartment. So, I would definitely call that discrimination. Which, again, is illegal.

Additionally, my hubby works nights. As a result, we are up at night and sleep during the day. I can't very well crate Ludo all day and all night.

Edited by author Tue Jan 27, '09 5:56am PST

[notify]
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:37am PST 
Oooh ok well that's different then and your landlords are idiots. Do they have a notice from your doctor informing them that the dogs are not pets but service dogs? Because I'm pretty sure that if they do and they are trying to take you to court they will lose badly and be fined... and they should know that! Anyways good luck... maybe you should find better landlords who will stick to the law!

Good luck with the barking, I still say it's best to crate the pup so he doesn't have the opportunity to play at 3am, at least until he's old enough to understand that bed time = sleep. Good luck!
[notify]
Bandit

Life is GOOD:)

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:55am PST 
My husband's dog is a 13 yr old wienaraner/dalmation mix and he can tell he to bark and not to bark. She has always listened to every word he has said. Everytime she would bark he would yell "hey" at her and make sure he got her attention and then say no barking. Adventually she caught on. With my dog Bandit he really isn't a barker anyways, but when I got him a 7 weeks old I did the same thing to him and it worked. You might get better advise from someone else on here, a lot of people give out good advise, but that is what worked for me. Even at three in the morning when he was a pup. If you put him in a cage then give him toys to play with, but be prepared to have to clean those toys every morning untill he is potty trained.
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 10:24am PST 
I read somewhere (I don't remember where off the top of my head) that the easiest way to teach a dog NOT to bark is by first teaching him to bark. Then, once he has the bark command down, you teach him the 'quiet' command (that's the word I use). Make sense?

ETA: I just remembered where I 'read' that....I actually saw it on 'It's Me Or The Dog'

Edited by author Tue Jan 27, '09 10:24am PST

[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 12:05pm PST 
I've read that, too, that if you teach a dog the bark command you can control it a little better. Bingley learned it pretty quick, but somehow along the way, he started to "whisper"... he wouldn't bark anymore when I told him to speak, he would just make a whispered bark, which is perfect. When he barks, I tell him to speak, or whisper, and he whispers. I wish I knew how he turned this around, it would be nice to teach other dogs to whisper, lol.
[notify]
kenzie

my baby girl

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 12:30pm PST 
hi, i taught kenzie to bark on command, so i can now tell her quiet aswell. when she was a puppy i used to hold a treat so she could see it and tell her to 'speak' when she barked she got the treat. also whenever she barked in general i would say 'speak' so she associated the word with barking. when she barked when i didnt want her to i would say 'quiet' in a sharp, firm way. she didnt get the treat if she didnt bark. i can also get her to bark louder or quieter. it doesnt work all the time though. if she feels threatened then she will bark as its natural behaviour.

hope this helps
hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3