GO!

Puppy pees in crate...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roxie

I may be small- but I am fiesty!

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 12:45pm PST 
Hi all,
I've had Roxie since 8 weeks of age... shes 13 weeks now and she wont stop peeing in her crate... even pooping. I've given her new blankets and do daily dog blanket wash now... it's really getting frustrating. She's a little miniature pinscher so she goes out for regular "bathroom" breaks, i even cut her off water at 6pm so she can sleep through the night with no accidents but during the day i crate her for a half hour or an hour here and there when i need to get other things done or have to leave to drop off/pick up my daughter from school and in that short time she will have gone pee in her crate. I've found her covered in it many times too. I had to bath her 5 times in one day!!! Any suggestions???
[notify]
Hunter

run and you'll- only have teeth- marks!

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 1:43pm PST 
What size is the crate? If it is too big it won't work. Other than that, I don't know becuase I swear my puppy came crate trained even though he really didn't. I lucked out with this issue.

I hope that you can find someone with more information than I have.
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 2:52pm PST 
She's tiny and very young. It could happen for awhile. I've been through this. My male chi will still poo in his crate overnight and he's 1.5yrs old. Very frustrating. He poos before bed (11pm) and no matter how early you get up it's there yet again. Only once in a blue moon it's not. My only suggestion? Take her out more, but for shorter periods. You got through it with Pablo, you will with her. By the way she is soooo adorable! Just looks so sorry for herself sitting there. Precious pudge.
[notify]

Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 3:22pm PST 
do you have a devider for your kennel so you can make her space smaller? I agree with the first poster. If her space is to large she is gonna mess in it.
Also Do not put any blankets or anything in with her... I know the compfort of her haveing those items sounds good but it just gives her somplace to hide the poo or pee in or someplace for her to hide in after she had pood or peed in the kennel,
I think you will find that these ideas of makeing the kennel smaller helpful.
Also she is still a pretty tiny young puppy and it does take time..
good luck.

Oh question.. is howw long is the pup in the kennel without any breaks? I know you say she comes out for regular breaks but does she do anything during those breaks? does she mess anyplace else in the home?

sound like it could be a seperation anxiety thingy...

Edited by author Sun Jan 25, '09 3:26pm PST

[notify]
Abby

No tugs, just- hugs!

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 3:48pm PST 
Abby has the same problem. She goes pee once a week in her crate, usually on weekends. But we know it's not anything like an anxiety; we sleep late and so does she, so when she does wake up she has to go within like 30 seconds. laugh out loud I see no problem with Abby, though.

I agree with the posters above. Did you do crate training, or just put her in the crate and call it done?
[notify]
Sparky

Hurricane Ike- Pound Puppy

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 4:04pm PST 
Puppies have a hard time holding it in. Take her out before you put her in the crate, and then a few hours later take her out again.
[notify]
Roxie

I may be small- but I am fiesty!

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 4:33pm PST 
Thanks for the responses... for those who asked... she' s in a small crate, perfect for her size. When my pug(now 15 months) was a puppy he stayed in the same crate except he never did this, he was very comfortable with the crate idea right from the start i made it so cozy with blankys and toys so i did the same with her but obviously isnt working the same.... as all pups are different. When my pug was 6 months or so i bought him a bigger crate so now roxie is using his old one. she whines when she wakes up from her naps so i take her out right away but its when i have to go somewhere she seems to pee and then will walk in it too and such... maybe separation anxiety? i dunno. she always goes to the bathroom right away then plays for awhile until she wants to laydown which is back in the crate. i put toys in it too so it can be a "happy" place to go. I'm curious to why not only she makes the messes but she sits in it?confused
[notify]
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 4:35pm PST 
I'd also remove the blankets from her crate. Sometimes dogs will go on absorbant material, and removing them solves the problem.

Bindi couldn't have a blanket in her crate for over a year. She'd pee on the blanket, ball it up in a corner and sleep the plastic floor. No blanket, no pee.
[notify]
Tidbit

small cheeks

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 7:44pm PST 
Well actually dogs and puppies can hold it in for like 2 days but if they are loley or nervous they probably will pee
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 8:09pm PST 
My chi lays on top of it. I know this because his poos flattened every morning. And he's got plenty of room to get away from it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2