GO!

Demodex Mange.. I'm at my witts end :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 3:33pm PST 
Okay, I really need any advice, at this point i'll try ANYTHING.

I have done the dip for the last couple months with no effect. I've done shampoo's, ointments.. everything. Before I just say forget it and give Pi the shot and hope he doesn't have a bad reaction to it.. I want to make sure I don't have any other options.

Next month I'll have had Pi for a year, I found out he had Demodex a month after, so he's going on a year w/having this. It got better for a while, but now its back and worse then ever.. He's been shaved down twice now in hopes that the dip touching the skin will help, but it hasn't. All the hair on his legs are gone, he has sores.. I just don't know what to do.

Please, any help?

ETA: And if I do decide to give Pi the shot, i'll have to go to another vet. My vet REFUSES to give Pi the shot, is this common? Since he's an Aussie? I've given my vet so much money trying different things and all they keep telling me is to keep trying the same thing over and over, spending more and more and stuff i know doesn't work...

Edited by author Fri Jan 23, '09 3:37pm PST

[notify]
Gizmo

Chillax

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 3:52pm PST 
Hi! Giz and I have a lot of experience with Demodex (and I do mean me as well, she once gave my scarcoptic mange). I've had her for two and a half years and we've struggled with it the entire time. The good news is, it does get better. The bad news is, I think if a dog is susceptible they will always be susceptible. In fact my vet did a test on Giz for antibodies against mange and she turned up negative (referred to as a "tighter"? I believe). Which means she just doesn't fend off the buggers well.

Anyway, Giz had several bad outbreaks that included horrible hotspots and we did the dip and then followed it up with an oral treatment of ivomectrin. This combo seemed to help alot, and then the vet eventually eased her off the ivomectrin and said that a bi monthly dose of Revolution (the flea and tick med) would keep up the protection.

I will say even after her first couple of outbreaks and subsequent treatments, she still turns up with demodex, even as recently as this October. Which always leads us back to another round of ivomectrin (never had to go back to the dips though, her first outbreaks were the worst).

One connection I think I made that you may want to consider, is that Giz would get demodex when her immune system was weakened somehow. For her, the trigger was food allergies. So we worked with our vets to finally, this October, find a food that didn't exacerbate the condition. You may want to investigate any other skin problem she may have that trigger the demodex.

BTW- I'm not sure what shot you're referring to, I know I was never given the option of a shot, it was only ivomectrin. Then again, I was in Germany at the time, so maybe the protocol was different.

Good luck! Having an itchy dog is tough, you just feel bad for the little guys!
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 4:17pm PST 
I've heard of folks using Ox E drops and Nzymes to help boost their pets immune system in order to help the other meds work better.
Is that a possibility for you?
http://www.nzymes.com/index.htm
[notify]

Chase, CGC

Beneth my goody- 2 shoes lies- dark socks

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 4:45pm PST 
As a safety precaution before you give Pi the shot maybe you could have him tested for the mdr1 gene? I know that if it was my Chase I'd spend the $70 for the test before I gave the shot.
I hope Pi feels better hug
[notify]
Xena

Where's my ball?

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '09 12:40am PST 
I think Ivomectin can be given in a shot form or orally. I am 90% certain that's what Xena had, and it worked quite well for her (the shot).

I believe it's common for vets to refuse herding breeds as it's fairly well known that it's high risk... I would call around and maybe get a second opinion.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '09 10:56am PST 
hug I to have delat with demodex first time with a rescue pitbull she died at the age of two liver failure caused by those dips. ive tlaked to a few vets that refuse to use the dips because of deaths. What are you feeding?? Food is a big factor with demodex. Drake has light demodex cause his immune system sucks. Hes on wellness core and gets tea tree oil baths once or twice a month. Hes doing great and has not knock on wood had an outbreak. mY vet says even stress and felas can cause a dog to break out with demodex if there immune system is weak. Good luck with your itchy pup.
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 11:20pm PST 
I bought some immune boosters and tea tree oil shampoo (and a spray for between) and his skin isn't nearly as red and I noticed he isn't itching nearly as much, if at all. During the night he'd wake us up itching, that hasn't happened since I got the shampoo smile

ETA: When we first found out Pi had Demodex the vet took some blood work and said is immune system seems to be normal. I really have no idea how or why he got this..

Edited by author Mon Jan 26, '09 11:20pm PST

[notify]
Coach

Class Clown!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 7:12am PST 
Hey I had to deal with some skin issues also and I used tea tree oil, neem oil, and olive oil mixed. It smelled awful but it worked within a week.
I gave my dog a bath in neem oil. goodluck
[notify]
Seven

Just hangin' out

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:12am PST 
Note: I don't suggest this, i am just sharing an experience.
My Grandmother told me years ago that when their dog got mange they would put motor oil all over the dog and let it sit for a while. Sure enough when i was younger her German Shepherd got mange (i don't know which kind) and the motor oil cleared it right up. She had lots of unusual remedies for pet illness. That dog lived to be 16 years old and never went to a vet.

Mange is tough. I hope everything clears up ASAP.
[notify]
Juniper

Baby Girl

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 7:14am PST 
Hi. I have a basset pointer mix that was diagnosed with Demodex. She's only about a year old and came from a high kill shelter in WV so her history is somewhat obsolete. All I know is that she was dropped off in their overnight box and she had this skin condition, probably the reason she was dropped off in the first place. When we adopted her, she came with a bottle of Ivermectin. She had her first vet visit last week and they continued her on the ivermectin and also gave us a shampoo to use for her skin. It's an antibacterials shampoo. The dotor also gave us a pill to give her once a day for bacterial infections. He told us that it takes a few months to get this under control. Her hair is finally growing back. He never said anything about a shot he just gave us more Ivermectin but she still tested positive on the skin sample. I hope you can get your pooches skin problem under control, it's hard to see them suffer.

Lots of licks,
Juniper
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3