GO!

Getting A New Puppy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 11:56pm PST 
Hi all im new to this but I wanted some advice about the new shih tzu that I am getting in about 2 weeks..

The puppy will be like 8 or 9 weeks when I get her and I am wondering is that to young? I also wanted to know if anyone had any advice, or what should I expect?

I'm like super excited about her, I picked out a name and everything.

Thanks in advance any advice is greatly appreciated!! cheer
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 7:56am PST 
Aw, congratulations on the new puppy!

Bingley was 8 weeks old when I brought him home, I don't think that's too young. I've read that it should be more like 12 weeks, but you miss out on so much if you get them at that age.

Every puppy is different, but be ready for a little bitty puppy wanting to follow you everywhere, which means you need to watch your step. Some people get bells to put on a little pup like that.

Be prepared with piddle pads, a comfy crate, and a comfy dog bed. Plenty of toys, of course.

Make sure you have some of the food your breeder is currently feeding the pup, so if you choose to change food, you can slowly change the food to avoid any tummy upsets.

Do you have a vet picked out? That's always a good idea, since it's best to take the pup to the vet within a week of coming home to make sure everything is healthy.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. I know I'm missing things, but I can come back if I remember them, or others will cover it.puppy
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 7:58am PST 
Thanks, I found a vet it's one my best friend takes her dog to I heard that the lady was really good.. I saw dog beds and stuff but I was debating if I should get it now or wait until I get her... I did buy a crate... I love the lulu pink stuff they sell at Walmart its the best for girls...
[notify]

Macie

Barked: Fri Mar 13, '09 8:43pm PST 
Here's Macie now...
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 4:28pm PST 
Aw, what a cutie! I like the name, too smile
[notify]
Mojo

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 7:02am PST 
Usually 8 weeks is standard for most puppies. However, I have heard that Tzus and Lhasas need a few more weeks with their mothers. My Mojo was with his mommy until 13 weeks.
[notify]