GO!

LIVE AND DEAD WORM FOUND IN WELLNESS DRY DOG FOOD

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chopper and- Hemi

Choppy Choppers- and Hemi Hem

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 7:33am PST 
I'VE BEEN FEEDING MY THREE DOGS WELLNESS DRY DOG FOOD FOR A GOOD 8 MONTHS NOW. ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO I FOUND A LIVE WORM IN THERE FOOD AND THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A FLUKE. I THREW OUT THE REMAINDER OF THE FOOD ($28/15LB BAG) AND PURCHASED A NEW BAG. LAST WEEK,(JAN.09) WHILE FEEDING MY DOGS, I STARTED NOTICING WEIRD THINGS IN THE FOOD THAT WAS BEING POURED INTO THE BOWL. I STARTED PICKING THROUGH THE FOOD AND FOUND LIVE WORMS, DEAD WORMS, WEBBING, AND SMALL DEAD FLIES! eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THIS IS NOT DANGEROUS TO YOU PET, THESE KIND OF MEAL WORMS, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT~IT'S ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. I AM OUTRAGED THAT I AM GOING OUT OF MY WAY TO FEED MY DOGS A "BETTER" DOG FOOD,SPENDING A FORTUNE, FOR THIS CRAP! PLUS, THE COMPANY NEVER CALLED ME BACK FROM THE COMPLAINT I LEFT ON THEIR VOICE MAIL. THANKS WELLNESS! YOU'RE JUST THE BEST.ANYHOW, I AM BACK TO FEEDING CHOPPER,HEMI, AND REBEL COSTCO'S KIRKLAND BRAND DOG FOOD WHICH IS MUCH CHEAPER AND WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE WORM ISSUES! I JUST RECENTLY NOTICED THAT RACHEL RAY CAME OUT WITH A NEW FOOD CALLED NUTRISH THAT LOOKS INTERESTING... WE WILL SEE. I HAVEN'T NOTICED IT IN THE STORES? I'LL HAVE TO LOOK THE NEXT TIME I GO SHOPPING.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 7:53am PST 
So outraged, you broke your caps lock key?laugh out loud

Bugs in food is most likely a problem with shipping or storage, which may or may not be related to the dog food company. The bags are being damaged somewhere along the line, allowing bugs to get in. It happened to me once: I had a bunch of big, donated bags for the rescue dogs. I opened one right away, but the others I stacked in an unused bathtub, so I could lock the door and there was no chance of the dogs getting into it. By the time I got to the bag on the bottom, it was damp and full of webbing. Upon inspection, I found a tear in the side of the bag. In retrospect the bathroom may have been too damp, regardless of use, but I suppose I have no idea where that bag really came from, either. 'S the problem with donated food.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 8:25am PST 
Did you buy both bags of Wellness from the same store? If so, it sounds definitely like it's a problem with *their* distributor or their storage methods, rather than a Wellness problem. They should exchange your bad bag for a good bag, or give you your money back.
[notify]

☀ M1L0

friend to all

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 8:57am PST 
What a bad experience, if that happened to me I would feel the same way about not buying it again. Since the Kirklands at Costco is a good price you should stick with that, the Nutrish is not quality for the price.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 9:53am PST 
I'm sorry that happened to you. Mealworms and spiderwebs in a bag of dog food is usually a result from the distribution company. Did you buy the food from the same store? If so, it could be a problem with the stores cleanliness, or handling the bags. Sometimes if a tear occurs in a bag then bugs can get in. This can happen at the distribution company as well. Did you check that the bags weren't expired?

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 5:35pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 10:45am PST 
Ugh! That's disguisting! Sorry that happened to you. It may jsut be the store you bought it from. Maybe they aren't storing it correctly? I wouldnt spend my money on Rachel Ray's food. It is overpriced and it's crap. She can't even cook human food right, let alone dog food...
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 12:50pm PST 
How awful! Didn't one of the big pet store chains get into trouble because of bad storage? Return and complain!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 12:57pm PST 
I think it was Petco that got in trouble.

Regardless, this is most likely not a Wellness problem. It's either the distributor or store that is to blame as the others have written. Wellness is fully refundable. I hope you got your money back from it.
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 4:22pm PST 
The same thing happened with me with an Orijen bag. I lugged the 30 lb. bag to my car and when I got there, I noticed one of the corners had a hole in it. When I went to inspect it, there were YUCKIES in it. Worms, castings, blech. I went back into the store and they just replaced it. Haven't had a problem since. I'm guessing it was just a bag that was in storage at the store for a little too long. I didn't blame anyone. I'm just happy I caught it before I got home!
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 10:07pm PST 
I've never fed Wellness so I can't say much for them, but we get those same worms and moths and stuff in our bird feed bags. It's most likely not the company who makes the food but rather a problem during shipping or something at the store where you bought it. We don't buy from specific stores anymore because we've noticed we can buy the same feed there as some where else and theirs tends to have bugs. You might want to complain to the store where you bought the food.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3