GO!

CKC, AKC, UKC, the list goes on and on.....

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Dreama Lil'- Dream

OOPS! Did I do- that?

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 10:27am PST 
What kind of registration(s) do you have for your dog(s)?OK. I have two dogs. One is a CKC great dane and the other is an AKC german sheperd. I know everyone says that AKC is so much better, but honestly it's not about the registration, it's about the dog! Both of my dogs are beautiful and well built for thier breeds. Dreama fits into the AKC description for the standard of a great dane other then the fact that she is a merle. And Buckley fits the description for both also. So, what really makes one better then they other if you have quality bred dogs? (I know a lot of negatives for the CKC and AKC both so attacking one and not the other is not what I am looking for.) I want REAL answers. How long have the kennel clubs been around for? Why can you register a spayed or neutered dog ( purebreds or mixed breeds) with UKC for showing and contests, but not AKC or CKC? Just wondering. I am planning on getting both of my dogs UKC registered also ( because I will be doing shows with them).
[notify]
Gunther

Little warrior- within

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 11:04am PST 
It really depends on whether you are referring to the Continental Kennel Club or the Canadian Kennel Club when talking about the CKC.

Canadian Kennel club=good
Continental kennel club is basically an all breed club, and most serious dog people look down on it simply b/c they will register just about anything.

As for the the other kennel clubs (AKC/UKC) I myself prefer the UKC just b/c they are a more relaxed group as far as my own personal experiences of going to shows.

As for showing spayed/neutered dogs, that is a special circumstance and they can't be shown in a regular confirmation show. They have to be permanently registerd or have a valid temporary listing number on the day of the show. And they can only compete in non-licenced classes. Depending on what kind of show it is, they may or man not have that available. The reason they allow this is to show a larger variety of dogs and breeds to the public that otherwise would not be shown. It also lets some breeders show their products that they don't plan on using for breeding so they were fixed.

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world

It appears the AKC was first established in 1884.

None of my dogs are registered. Gunther is able to be registered with the AKC, I just never got around to it. Even had his name all picked out.

Nigel and Posey will be registered with the UKC when we get some DNA things figured out (their parentage is in question). I am hoping to still show them but things are progressing so slowly I don't know if I ever will be able to.

the main difference that I see b/t the AKC/UKC is that the UKC requires that all dogs be able to perform in the task they were originally bred to do. meaning if you have a dog that doesn't look like it can do what historically it should be able to to, it won't do well in the ring. The AKC however seems to be more concerned with how the dogs appear outwardly. Which is also why many rare breed owners are against their breed joining the AKC............they don't want to see their breed changed possibly for the worse. Since more people are familiar with the AKC, you will have more unscrupulous breeders selling their dogs as "AKC registered" which to some people who don't know better, it is a selling point.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 4:19pm PST 
The Continental Kennel Club is basically a puppy mill registry. They will register anything, as whatever you say it is.

The Canadian Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club, and the United Kennel Club all require real documentation for your dog's pedigree, and in some cases, at least the AKC (maybe the other two, too, I don't know) will require DNA proof of the parentage of the puppies registered. So papers from these three organizations actually mean something in terms of whether your dog is really what you think it is.

Continental Kennel Club papers are not worth the paper they are printed on.

None of this really has anything to do, in the end, with whether or not your dog is a good pet, and loved by you.
[notify]