GO!

Are there always doubts?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 10:19am PST 
What I mean is: are you ever 100% sure about adopting a dog into your family? Or will there always be a little bit of doubt?

We have been thinking about adopting a retired racing greyhound for the past 6 months or so (well I've been thinking and researching it for 6 months, bf has been on board for less than that wink ). But we still aren't 100% sure... my bf is worried that it's a hassle to have them leashed all the time. Both our parents live far in the country and when we go walk in the woods (not in hunting season, of course) or in the field, we don't leash the dogs. They all have very good recall and enjoy the extra space. Anywho, obviously if we adopt a greyhound, he/she would be leashed.

I think that's the biggest hurdle for my bf especially. We're also a bit concerned about having 3 dogs... Other than that, we know we aren't going to start the application process before we talk to other owners and get a better feel for the dogs. I have been to one event up to now, and I loved it! We are both volonteering at the Meet and Greet in a few weeks, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Sorry for all the bla bla, I guess I'm just antsy about it. I'm so scared to make the wrong decision and regret it. Although I doubt I could ever regret bringing another dog into the family... hahaha! I love greyhounds and firmly believe the breed is a good fit for our family, I think we just need to meet the right one to seal the deal. Any advice would be appreciated... shrug

edited for spelling

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 1:35pm PST

[notify]
The Wonder- Weenies

We be the mighty- Wonder Weenies!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 11:11am PST 
I don't think it's wrong to have doubts at all. Getting a dog is a HUGE responsibility. Having three even more so. So, I'd be worried if you weren't a little concerned. As for the leashes I have dachshunds, and they can't be off leash either. It can be a pain as my parents live on a farm, and every time my dogs go outside for anything it's on a leash. Otherwise, they'd catch a scent and be off! I can't take that chance. Good luck, and I'm glad to see you're weighing this decision very carefully.

I think about the dogs I've added, and I gotta admit that Glady and Lucy came with a bit of angst for mom. Lucy was 14 years old, and that's a big decision adopting a dog that could die within a year for all you know. Or turn out to have really expensive health problems. As it turns out, neither is the case! Then Glady turned out to be an allergic, epileptic dog with giardia and gum disease. frown But finally, FINALLY nine months after her adoption I found the right food, the right treatment for the allergies, and she's doing awesome! Trust me, there were moments of doubt there. Lily on the other hand, I just couldn't take her back to that horrible place where I got her. There were no doubts that I was keeping that poor, scared puppy. And I waited six months to get Trudy, so any doubts were worked through by the time of her adoption. way to go

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 11:21am PST

[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 1:43pm PST 
Thanks for the response. It's great to know we aren't alone...

"And I waited six months to get Trudy, so any doubts were worked through by the time of her adoption."
I think this is what's going to happen in our situation. For the leashing issue, I think my bf is starting to understand the reason why and he's seeing that it's not such a big deal. We were talking earlier and he's mostly concerned that we won't be able to give all 3 the attention they deserve. So we'll wait until we get back into our routine, and then we'll see. The months of November and December were pretty hectic for both of us, and that's why I didn't want to rush into it. thinking
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 2:40pm PST 
I think it is normal to have doubts. I was looking for a dog since the summer and I finally just adopted one this week so yes I had many doubts! I think for me part of it was because I was not used to the idea of actually searching for and adopting a dog because my last dogs all came to me (strays). It was hard to decide on whether a dog was the right choice and that type of thing but I think I did make the right decision with adopting and adult dog. I still have "puppy fever" though...eventually I'll adopt a pup.
[notify]
Ms. Shiba

Attitude comes- in small- packages!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 3:23pm PST 
I think it is normal to have doubts as well. Also, we have a Shiba Inu and a Basenji, both are stubborn dog breeds with their own minds about when they will come and when they will not (most owners of these breeds have this problem, so it's not just me!). As such, they are always on a leash. At first I also thought that would be a pain, but it's really not that big of a deal. We also have a fenced yard where they can run around with no leash, and a really great fenced-in dog park where they can roam with other dogs too, so that helps. Good luck with your decision making! smile
[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 4:18pm PST 
I've had doubts everytime we've added another dog. And I do have to admit that although each one has added joy to our lives, there have also been regrets. I certainly wouldn't change anything and would adopt the same dogs all over again...but there's still a bit of guilt and a few regrets with each one...mainly because I can't spend the time I'd like to with each one of them individually.

We currently have 5 dogs but will probably try to keep it to just 3 in the future, once our older ones have crossed the bridge.
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 9:38am PST 
Ms Shiba: That reassures me (about the leash thing). It's more my bf who seems to mind, but I tell him: I'll take care of it. wink We also have a fenced back yard (Zeppelin's paradise) and 2 dog parks within 20 minutes drive. I'm not sure about bringing a greyhound to the dog park, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Peaches: I think that might be what happens to us. Mind you, both dogs get TONS of attention now, and I think they would still be happy with a little less. BOL. Spoiled the little ones are. wink
Zeppelin gets lots of attention from my bf, and Jagger more from me. But he's also kinda distant, and doesn't always insist on being pet. So I can def handle another furry little friend. blue dog

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I love Dogster!hug
[notify]
Raven

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 8:20pm PST 
My situation was a little different- I wasn't really looking for a dog when I adopted my second. The difference for me was with all of my previous fosters I always felt a little stressed out. I loved having them here, etc. but I was always a little relieved when they left. With Raven I was never stressed out, never had that anxious feeling. When I was making the decision to formally adopt her I went back and forth a little but once I decided she was here to stay I was totally at peace about the decision.

I know a gal with 2 rescued greyhounds- great dogs. We met up for a hike and she let both of them off leash, they were awesome, no problems being off leash, even in a wildlife area. They ran up and down the path and stayed close, so it is possible but probably based on training and individual dogs and their drive.
Aibou

Big Boy

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 9:45pm PST 
It's interesting to me that lot of US appears to have the assumption that greyhounds have to be leashed. This is unnecessary. Here in NZ I often see greyhounds unleashed at the beach, and from a previous query I noted that the main greyhound club in the country here had numerous off leash places to go on their website.

The greyhounds here are quite often muzzled, and from a chat with a rescue greyhound guardian (whose dog obviously loved him), he indicated that he had had problems with the dog grabbing a puppy and a swan - hence the muzzle. However he was quite relaxed with his dog taking off and running hundreds of yards down the beach - he said he always came back.

Maybe we are (at least in some places here) still a bit more relaxed about these things than in the US - but it seems to work fine here.
[notify]
Scout

I\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '09 12:09am PST 
We had concerns about adding a second dog to our happy little one dog family, and now can't imagine life without two. It turned out to be a great decision for us. It is definitely more time and money, but more love, play and fun too!

Our terriers are not supposed to be off leash due to the prey drive if they see something to chase. The only time they are off leash is on the beach or at a dog park. It works out fine for us. As for greyhounds, we used to go to a dog park where two rescued greyhounds came on a regular basis. They were very sweet dogs and there was never any problems.

I think it's natural to question such a big decision, but it sounds like you are being thoughtful and smart and will make the right choice for you and your pack.

Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5