GO!

Adult dog peeing on the couch and bed

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 4:58am PST 
I have looked through the archives and most of the posts about inappropriate peeing are regarding puppies and potty training. I have a slightly different situation.

Merlin is just over 4 years old. He's a rescue and has been with me since March of this year. He has had problems off and on with peeing on the couch (which I keep covered with a blanket cause I have 3 dogs) and on the bed too. He does sleep on the bed with me, and I thought dogs wouldn't potty where they sleep.

The dogs use puppy pads and have access to a grassy area outside while I'm at work. I can't have any throw rugs down, but I get that....they probably feel like puppy pads and are about the same size usually. But the bed thing, I have no idea. The problem is I can't catch him doing it.

I keep him out of the bedroom while I"m not in there. Where we run into problems is just before bed, first thing in the morning, or in the middle of the night. I got up last night to potty and when I came back, there were not one, but two, pee spots on the bed. Had to strip off the covers in the middle of the night.

I'm looking for waterproof blankets to put over my quilts, but there has to be some way to fix the root of the problem. He's healthy as a horse, so it's not a medical issue. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Mindy, CGC,- KPETS

SpeedRacer

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 5:08am PST 
Honestly, when it comes to pottying on furniture, pooches are cut off from using it until I can work on the behavior. Sounds like you are going through "marking" behavior. There are other dogs in your house and the one piddling is letting them know that those areas are "his". So, if any dog o' mine did this, I want them know that it is actually my stuff and not theirs. It's not a right to be on the furniture, but a privilege.

I start with the crate and they need to be able to sleep in it. Then I start asking for obedience behaviors before they are allowed to get on the couch/bed. It is also important that they know how to get off nicely. If they can't handle either of those, than they shouldn't be on. I would do this with all 3 pooches. To teach "off" you very simply throw a treat on the ground. Enough repetitions and it'll sink in.

Ensure that you are cleaning up well with an enzymatic cleaner (The ingredient panel must say enzymes in it or else you won't neutralize the smell to doggy standards).

Good luck to you and wish you well.
[notify]
Tilly

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 8:10am PST 
By teaching your dogs to use puppy pads you are telling them it is ok to pee in the house, dogs don't always distinguish what the can pee on and what they can't.

When cleaning up after your dog has peed on the sofa, what do you use? Normal houshold cleaners encourage a dog to pee because most have armonia in, for the throw you need to put white vinegar in the rinse water and also clean the sofe with either white vinegar, biological washing liquid or get something from the pet shop.

Have you had him checked by a vet? He could have a health problem which causes this so I would get him checked out including blood tests.

Maybe a waterproof cover under the blanket until this is sorted.
[notify]

Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 9:30am PST 
These are little dogs, the pee doesn't get through the blankets I keep on the couch to the furniture itself. And when Merlin pees on the bed, it's always on top of the covers so it wets the blanket and top sheet, but doesn't get in to the mattress. When I wash the blankets I do so with an enzymatic cleaner that I use any time there are bodily fluids involved, including spit up.

I know people have different opinions about puppy pads, but my dogs are all under 15 pounds and cannot hold it all day. Merlin is the only one who pees on furniture so it's not like they don't understand what the pads are for. If they're outside, or I'm home to let them outside, they potty in the grass. If not, they use the puppy pads. No one else has a problem but him. I'm sure it's territorial behavior. I will go with the water repellent cover for the bed while I"m working on his issues.

Frankly, I'm not willing to go without them sleeping with me. They're little space heaters and since I'm single, they're my pack. None of them are aggressive regarding furniture space and all get down when I tell them to with no issues.
[notify]
Mindy, CGC,- KPETS

SpeedRacer

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 9:34am PST 
Ok. Just trying to give advice. Maybe it'll help someone else. shrug
[notify]
Piglet

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 9:36am PST 
Hello,

The peeing issue I belive is not a problem of not knowing where to pee but a dominace issue. The dog is trying to cover your scent with their own. My girl used to pee on the bed also, when ever I would leave the house. What helped me was to renforce the alpha role. >eating first before your dog, not letting them on the couch or bed untill they are called up by you, and getting down when as soon as you tell them. Also not to go through doors or room first before you, you enter first even going inside and outside. I took training classes not for this particular incident but these tactics helped me and she hasnt peed on the bed since.
[notify]
Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 9:52am PST 
You're right, he has definitely been coddled and needs to have the pack leader position reinforced. I don't think it's me he's fighting for dominance though, I think it's Gracie, the newest dog. She's only 7 months old, but already bigger than him and it drives him nuts. She's also a bossy little thing. And to add to it all, I've definitely coddled Merlin. He had an abusive background. When I first got him he would pee on himself every time I reached for him. He'd never let me get close enough to pick him up....he was terrified of everything. I've been less disciplined with him because I was afraid of damaging his psyche even more! With Gracie, she came to me as a puppy and I knew she hadn't been abused. I felt free to discipline her as needed....she's a pushy dog! She's also super smart and already does more of the NILF stuff than either of my other two. *Sigh*....now that Merlin isn't so terrified of life, I guess it's time to really enforce all the rules!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 11:26am PST 
u r on denial, 4 years old and peeing on the bed, if u dont want advise, dont post them, it sounds like ur defending the dog for peeing on ur bed, lol. no more sleeping on ur bed, cause he is an old dog and he knows better, he is marking his territory, tel him to get out of the bed, he need s to sleeps on a cage.

Edited by moderator Thu Jan 1, '09 7:51pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 12:52pm PST 
Wow, what wonderful advise! And from someone who can't spell or empathize, and obviously doesn't have the nerve to post under a real account name. Gee....what a winner you are!
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 2:50pm PST 
hey merlin!
with these little dogs i've found its very best just to keep them empty.
so always a pre-emptive potty every 2 hours (or whatever you need) before you ever 'need' it.
if you've got the pee pee pads, you can hitch 'em up on the leash and take them for a walk over there; use you're trigger word and wait till they go, same as outside.
don't trust them to decide where and when and keep them empty. when days have passed without any 'accidents' then it seems unheard of and happens no more.
i know how you feel about cuddling up at night.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2