GO!

Strollers for old dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 12:27am PST 
Does anyone use a stroller for their older dog with arthritis? I bought one for Lucy today because she's getting more unstable in her back legs and wobbles her way around despite being on glucosamine and such. Of course, I realize that you lose what you don't use, so I want her to get around on her own as much as she's able, but still...it just doesn't seem fair to make her walk everywhere (especially long walks) when she's so unsteady. Anyone else have a stroller for their granny dog? thinking
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 1:06am PST 
hi lucy!!
you're a doll!!! as for strollers...i would have no problem doing the same for any of my boys when they are unable to manage long hikes/walks. as you said you loose what you don't use so it's important to remember that. however, on the same note as you mentioned it's not fair to make her suffer either. if she can enjoy her walks & when it gets a bit too much take a break why not??? lots of hugs!!hughughughughughughug
[notify]
Gracie - Now at the- Rainbow

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 8:40am PST 
Old dogs with arthritis should not be doing long walks, it will wear away the joints quicker and cause them more pain. My vet told me not to walk my old lady more than halt fo three quarters of a mile a day because of her arthritis. What really does help dogs like this is a weekly session of hydrotherapy, the muscles are built up and support the arthratic joints making movement easier for them.
[notify]

Cassie

Sometimes one- eye is better- than two!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 10:31am PST 
I don't have a stroller, but I do plan on getting one when Cassie gets old. She is 8 now and a little achy when it gets cold or if she over does it on a long walk, but she's still able to get around and not be too uncomfortable. But I know at some point she won't be able to walk as far as Misty needs to walk to get her energy out. When that time comes I plan on using the stroller during the later part of our walks, after shes had a chance to get a little work out. I'll only use it towards the end so that she doesn't lose what mobility she does have.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 10:39am PST 
I think there are lots of older, tiny, disabled, etc., dogs on here with strollers. I think they are a wonderful idea.
hug
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 5:35pm PST 
i don't know if they make strollers for us big dogs but mommy said she will get us a wagon (if she can't find a big enough stroller) & make it all nice & comfy!!blue dog
[notify]
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 6:53pm PST 
Thanks for the feedback. I got one because a friend of mine has a stroller for her 21 year old chihuahua. As Lucy has been more wobbly lately, I thought why not?! Lucy gets around pretty well in the yard which is vast considering her size. I don't think she could manage 3/4 of a mile as she's a lot smaller than Gracie, and I'd hate to leave her at home when I walk my other dogs. The trick will be getting her used to riding in it. Heh...I love my little granny dog. cloud 9
[notify]
Piper

Bite, bite,- chew, chew!

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 6:59pm PST 
Wow! A 21 year old Chihuahua?! shock That is aaaamazing! I hope I have Piper that long.

When Piper's too old to walk, you can bet she'll get a stroller.

I can't wait to hear how you like yours! Good luck!
[notify]
Nikki

FOOD FOOD FOOD

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 7:06pm PST 
we bought a Burley Cub, and it works perfect. it has a hard, sturdy, plastic bottom that I lined with dining table padded seat cushions and a blanket. it works great for large dogs! easy to get in and out of, comfortable, easy to push and steer, and she loves it. we did a lot of research and the Burley was the best out there for large dogs. just be prepared for rude, insensitive comments from people when they see the dog in the stroller.

Edited by author Tue Dec 30, '08 7:10pm PST

[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 7:59pm PST 
Peter is 8 or 9. Haven't noticed any stiff joints yet. I look in the mornings to see, and every morning he wakes up and he's off like a little teenager. I don't want Peter to get old! But, I know it will happen more sooner than later and I am definetly going to buy a stroller for Peter. he goes EVERYWHERE with me. Even work so a stroller will be a must for us.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2