GO!

another pit attack in the news

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Scrappy

just a really- big lap dog

Barked: Sat Dec 20, '08 9:34pm PST 
hey guys.
i just need to vent.
Today a little girl was mauled by a family dog in Ironton. They say it was a pit.
So I went to the news stations website and read the story b/c I didn't get to hear it all.
Then I see the most ignorant comments I have ever seen. Someone asked Why would anyone have killer dogs and children together? Another person said that we should outlaw all of the pits because too many innocent kids are paying the price. So I got on there and typed what I thought and I was literally shaking while typing. I was that mad. On top of that I tried to look for comfort and understanding from my mom and she told me that I shouldn't worry because there is nothing that I can do about it. Well, I can't remember what I wrote, but if my comment is approved I will paste it on here.
Thank you guys for listening to me, since my mom won't.
[notify]
~Bear~

rescue a- bully....woof,- woof :-)

Barked: Sat Dec 20, '08 10:46pm PST 
I totally understand Scrappy. I am currently trying to control my anger and come up with a response to the idiots on this other site. I've been following the comments following the incident that Hershey had posted about. After someone stated that the dog owners family should be euthanized a person posting as "lanette" came on and stated that after a family tragedy that was the last thing she needed to read. These people are still posting negative comments.....even knowing that a family member of the dead guy/owner of the dogs is reading the posts. My blood is boiling, so I need to calm down so I can come to her defense. Here is a link to the comments.

Comments on dog incident
[notify]
Scrappy

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 9:14am PST 
OK they approved my comment. Also I am starting to see more positive comments on there.
Here is my comment

-I can't believe how ignorant people can be. When are people going to realize that ANY BREED is capable of doing something like this? I feel sorry for the dog. And to every one that says that pits are killer dogs, I have met many pits, abused and not abused, neglected or not neglected, that are wonderful family pets. Ok lets say that we ban all bully breeds, rottweilers, dobermans, and all other breeds people see as dangerous. Then there are more reports that of Labs mauling people, should we ban them? No wait, they're family pets. NO dog would just snap. Would you kill a four-year old child for stabbing or biting someone? I agree with bigeyes. There is something wrong with this story. As I said earlier, no dog would snap without being provoked, accidental or on purpose.
[notify]

Scrappy

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 9:52am PST 
OK so I posted again because of what someone posted in reply to me and a few others that said that any breed can do this.
Here is her reply
-To "I don't care" and others. Obviously you don't care or you would not risk your child. I have heard this argument so many times, it is so worn out. All it takes is one thing, like another dog barking at the wrong time- any little thing can set these dogs in a frenzy. I have seen it with my own eyes. Parents thinking their dog is a big baby because all they have shown it is love. Bam- right for the juggler for no apparent reason. Will you wait until this is your child in the news before you get it in your thick heads? Not to be trusted, no matter how they are raised!!!!!

After reading that I decided to post back
here is what I said

-I just wonder when people are going to relise that banning breeds is NOT going to solve the problem? After all the so-called dangerous breeds are banned, there will be another to surface and be so called killers? Is it going to take banning your Chihuhuas, or your Golden Retrievers, or your Labs to finally understand that banning a breed for the deed a few of the dogs have done isn't going to solve the problem. I have been bitted twice by two different German Shepherds when I was little. Was it my fault? Yes. One was a police dog in training and I sped up and he nipped me. Do I balme him? NO. Another was a rescue dog and the owners was giving him a bath and I walked past him and they said not to run but I did. Do I blame the breed? NO. I don't feel like the parents or the child or the dog is at balme here.
And from my previous comment about the pits that I have met and were wonderful family dogs, they were NOT owned by drug dealers and they were family dogs till the day they died.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 10:17am PST 
People seem to forget that in the 1800's and the better part of the 1900's, pit bulls were known only as beloved family pets. You can see them in vintage photographs, advertising, etc. Things have changed so much.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 10:37am PST 
Right for the juggler? Were there clowns involved too? wink..........lol.

People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks..............and should learn how to spell. big laugh

I have given up try to preach to people who are so close minded. Even w/i my own family they just don't get it. They don't hate bully's but they do think they are a liability waiting to happen and no matter what statistics I throw out there they fall on deaf ears. I guess i will have to wait until I have my cane corso before proving my point in full. frown
[notify]
Nadiya KC- Dog- Advocates

Member of KC Dog- Advocates.

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 10:48am PST 
Well, I guess they will be all over me like white on rice. big laugh

"Pit bulls were originally bred for fighting. But the breed's aggression is usually reserved for other animals, Welsh explained"

Thank God that the reported had gotten something right. If you were not there then how can you judge the owner, you don't know what cause the *attack* Stop disrepecting the family, they have lost too much at this time.

Another thing, in all my years of fighting against BSL, I have NEVER came across a 104 lb pit bull, come on folks use your heads. If you knew anything about the breed then you would know that no pit bull weighs that much. Please leave the family alone, get educated on the facts before you add your comments. When you write irrational crap it make you come off as an idiot.
[notify]
Scrappy

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 10:59am PST 
I know. There are a lot of people on my road that hate these kind of dogs.
-over the summer my friend had a pit that had puppies with a lab mix. I was going to take one but my mom wouldn't let me because her friend said that he wouldn't bring his daughter up anymore.
- my friend that used to be my neighbor had 3 pits. One day she got off the bus and her pittie went to greet her. She started to walk and he was behind her and my sister-in-law's friends swerved to hit the dog and almost hit my friend.
I tried my best to educate those peple but I didn't get through.
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 11:14am PST 
So sorry Scrappy! I would like to see it if you do post it.
[notify]
Nadiya KC- Dog- Advocates

Member of KC Dog- Advocates.

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 11:14am PST 
Here's another version of the story, notice that the reporter is reporting in the animals favor.

By JESSICA LOGAN and LAURIE LUCAS
The Press-Enterprise

Two dogs mauled their 60-year-old owner to death Friday afternoon when he stepped into the backyard of his Rubidoux home to smoke, officials said.

Gerald Adelmund was declared dead at the cream-colored house in the 5700 block of Kenwood Place after deputies pulled him inside, said Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez.

"This is an unfortunate, very tragic accident," Gutierrez said.

He said he did not know why the dogs attacked Adelmund or who dragged him into the house.

The dogs were described as a 4-year-old, 107-pound male, part pit bull and part mastiff, and a 52-pound female pit bull, about 6.

The dogs were euthanized Friday by the Riverside County Department of Animal Services, with the permission of Adelmund's relatives, and are being tested for rabies, said Animal Services spokesman John Welsh.
Story continues below
Ed Crisostomo / The Press-Enterprise
The body of a 60-year-old man is removed from his home Friday after he was killed in his backyard by two of the family's dogs. Sheriff's deputies were investigating the death.

The family also authorized euthanizing the female's nine puppies, but it wasn't clear Friday if the puppies had been killed, Welsh said.

The house is situated at the edge of a development of modest homes in Rubidoux, abutting a steep mountain.

The community northwest of Riverside favors horse trails to sidewalks.

Adelmund lived at the house with his son, daughter-in-law and their three children, who are 2, 7 and 12 years old, said neighbor Julian Gonzalez.

"They are good people and they were good neighbors to us," Gonzalez said.

Outside Adelmund's front door lay a mat reading "Wipe Your Paws."

The house was decorated with white Christmas lights and a wreath hung from the screen door.

The neighborhood is full of Christmas decorations, children in the front yards and dogs in the back.
Story continues below
Shocked neighbors, who stood by watching investigators, said the dogs that killed their owner were mild-mannered.

Some neighbors described the family's dogs as mild-mannered and were shocked by what happened.

"They were always calm," said Cesar Loza.

His family even brought one of their dogs over to Adelmund's house to play with the male, who was black and brown and called "Papa," Loza said.

Adelmund kept Papa in an enclosure, which Gonzalez said was surrounded by a 6-foot tall fence.

"I think it was a random thing because they were nice dogs," Gonzalez said. "It was sad because I never thought their dogs would do that."

Other neighbors said they have been afraid of the dogs for months and described them as vicious.

Josie Peña, who lives in the house behind Adelmund's on 29th Street, said that two small pit bulls the family bought a few months ago fought each other, and would growl and snap at her family through the chain-link fence that divides their property.

She said Adelmund's large male, which he owned for years, was always playful but became more aggressive when the other dogs arrived.

"I haven't gone out in my backyard for three months because I can't stand the way they are," Peña said.

Welsh said there have been no reports of problems from those dogs at that house.

He did not know about a third adult dog at the house.

Teryn Hartnett, manager of Riverside County Department of Animal Services, said dogs will attack if they believe someone is threatening their puppies, food or territory.

The female dog might have been nursing and both dogs were unaltered -- factors that would predispose them to attacks, Hartnett said.

Unless dogs have a neurological disorder, they don't suddenly become aggressive, she said.

"Dogs don't attack out of the blue."

Nationwide, all breeds of pit bulls were responsible for 110 human deaths from 1982 to 2006, according to statistics compiled by Animal People magazine from media reports.

Second on the list were Rottweilers at 60, followed by German shepherds at 14 and huskies at 13.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5