GO!

Basenjis and other dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sadie

Sassy and Shady

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 10:01am PST 
I'm not getting a second dog any time soon, I don't think, but in my opinion you can't plan enough, especially when you are trying to mix two personalities.

I've done a lot of research on Basenjis in general, I know about their quirks and difficulties, but I haven't seen much about how they interact with other dogs. Do they do better in one dog homes? Do they prefer an all Basneji household or can they get along with lots of different breeds? Any first hand stories would be greatly appreciated.

My current dog is very driven and high energy. She's also had dog aggression issues in the past, which is why I'm taking a second dog so slow and trying to carefully research the way a breed might interact with her. I looked at Basenjis before getting Sadie but it just happened a Lacy pup happened first. Honestly, I'm thinking I might be stuck with another Lacy if I add a second dog, just because I know they could handle each other, but I'd love to try a new breed.

Edited by author Tue Dec 16, '08 10:03am PST

[notify]
Buddy ☮

Ducks Are My- Nemeses

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 10:12am PST 
I'm going to direct some of my Basenji pals here!snoopy
[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 11:04am PST 
Hi Sadie! Buddy lead me here.

I have a Basenji Bratz group that can offer you lots of information. I'll send you an invite.

Well...basenjis do well with a pack. They love company. I think if you bring in a pup you shouldn't have problems introducing your pup with the new basenji.

Depending on how well the basenji was brought up, you could introduce a full grown basenji to your pup -- with patience. Basenjis are a very proud sometimes stubborn breed and they can be aggressive with other dogs.

Me, well I was socialized from 6 months on and still at around 2-1/2 I started getting aggressive with other dogs...but I love basenjis. If I'm introduced slowly to a new dog, then I'm fine.

We're high energy and need lots of stimulation -- good walks, training, etc. We're playful and can be destructive if left unattended. But like me, I've never been crated and I settled down around 3 years old. I have my niece, Savannah with me all day. She's a boring basenji. She doesn't play. She's very mellow. So it all depends.

Let me send you an invite and you can get more information from our group. Okay?

Nice to meet ya!
[notify]

Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 11:07am PST 
BTW, Sadie, you sure are a pretty dog. I've never seen your breed before. Very striking. way to go
[notify]
Savannah aka- Banners!

Banners on the- Run! NOT!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 11:10am PST 
BTW, I'm not boring. I'm just very relaxed.

We have lots of pups in our group that are living with basenjis. They tend to take on their personalities. We're pretty much an indoor dog -- sleep inside and love the comforts of a warm blanket.

Training can be difficult but possible. Being off leash is not recommended although we know of a few people who can have their dogs off leash.

We're very cat like and can be aloof. I'm aloof and don't come easily for kisses and will often turn my head when given kisses. Talker is a mamma's boy and he loves attention and is very friendly.
[notify]
Patan

Redefining the- word edible.

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 4:48pm PST 
Hi Sadie! wave You sure are a pretty breed. Good idea to talk to Basenji owners about the breed. You can never get enough information.

As Talker said, feel free to join our group. We've got people with all kinds of Basenji experience from all Basenji households to mixed breed households and rescues to pups obtained from breeders. I'm sure they'd be happy to share their stories with you.

I came to our house because the parents thought their current Basenji would do well with an active playmate. Mom and Dad take us for long walks everyday, but Keyah and I do a lot of playing together as well. We also live with a cat. Keyah is pretty mellow and non-destructive (except for house slippers), but I have a bit more typical mischievious Basenji traits. All the same, we are able to be left alone at home without getting into things. We only seem compelled to cause mischief when the pawrents are home; I guess to get attention.

As for getting along with other dogs, Keyah plays well with others, but I am more cautious. I was attacked when I was younger, so I still have some issues to work through. We do see plenty of Basenjis at the dog park playing very well with others. We love all people, however, and will run right up to anyone for pets and love. So we don't have the typical aloof behavior.

Feel free to p-mail us with any specific questions. And please feel free to join our group at any time.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Moon

Live, love and- play

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 5:45pm PST 
I have found that even dog aggressive dogs will do well within their own packs for the most part.

When I started out I had a poorly bred ..aka..pet store...basenji. He was dog aggressive and very difficult...but I loved him so. Anyways...we brought in a female Viszla and he surprised me with his gentleness toward her. They became best of friends. When she died young, we brought in a male vizsla. Dakota (basenji) wasn't thrilled and was really never the same after losing Shawnee, and, it didn't help that Marlowe (vizsla) would run through the house grabbing his tail and unraveling it. Dakota made a lot of noise but they coexisted fine. Then, I got a female basenji, Cheyenne. She and Marlowe became fast friends but she ADORED Dakota. She would follow him around and mimic everything he did. He was a cranky old guy at that point and tolerated her. After Dakota died, we got Apache, our youngest basenji. I was nervous about how Chey would react but once again I was surprised. She was the best babysitter, watching and teaching him. The two of them are so close now and at times I swear they synchronize their movements.

Most dogs will tolerate a puppy in their midst and will generally get along better with the opposite sex.

Apache is still intact...Chey is spayed and Marlowe is neutered. From time to time Apache gets snarky with Marlowe but they've never gotten into a real fight..it's more noise then anything else.

Both my basenjis are dog aggressive with strange dogs..Apache gets along with some dogs of other breeds and some basenjis. They are all dogs that he met when he was a pup.

I would look into the opposite sex of Sadie. Males do well with females. Females tend to get bitchy. I have heard from numerous people that if a basenji bitch gets into a fight with another they will never forget and it's VERY hard to ever get them together again. I would think it would be the same with a basenji and a female of another breed.

I suggest you go to some dog shows and actually look at the dogs and talk to some of the breeders.

AND, I hope you join our group!
[notify]
Cheyenne- Moon

Live, love and- play

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 7:53pm PST 
Oh...I see puppies are a pet peeve of hers....maybe a young male basenji.

There's a wonderful rescue BRAT..Basenji Rescue and Transport and many times breeders are looking to re-home young dogs.

BTW...Sadie is beautiful
[notify]
Sadie

Sassy and Shady

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 1:17pm PST 
Wow, thank you so much for the information! This is exactly what I was looking for, real life stories from real life Basenjis. It is really great to see this breed has such a dedicated group of owners, definitely a testament to the dogs.

From everything I hear, I do think a Basenji personality could blend well with Sadie, but I plan to keep doing more research. I'll definitely check out the group. Thanks again guys!
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 1:52pm PST 
Basenji are cool, mums friend had one. He was not too fond of other dogs,but would tolerate mums Irish Setter.He was good with children too, but like all dogs these traits are not always predictable to the breed, we are all diferent.dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2