GO!

How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  
Kitty

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 3:27pm PST 
We all love our pets, but I was wondering how much people really are willing to spend if it comes to the choice: their pet or their hard earned money.

I know it sounds crazy, but I am attempting to figure out what a dog is worth. This is in response to the WSJ article written this summer regarding the value of the pet. Having just read this article, I wanted to figure out if I could truly come up with a numerical value. (I used to be analyst in another life and numbers only make sense to me)

If you could please let me know the dollar amount you would be willing to spend. Assuming the the treatment was non-toxic and did not cause any more pain for your pet and that you did not have pet insurance (which surprisngly only 3% of Americans do!)

Thanks for your time.

Edited by author Tue Dec 16, '08 9:45am PST

[notify]
Our Gang

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 3:35pm PST 
My decision wouldn't be based upon finances but rather how many painful or uncomfortable procedures my dog would have to face. Sometimes, I think we pet owners try to hard to save our dogs when it may not truly be in the best interest of the animal
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 3:41pm PST 
I find this question kind of disturbing. It's not really about cancer, since the hypothetical treatment won't cause the pet any pain. It comes down to: How much money you would dish out to keep your pet?

I don't think there is any real circumstance where that question comes into play. Real life is not that cut and dry, ever. The idea that one would need this question answered to somehow try to quantify the love we hold for our pets is cold, and kind of sad.
[notify]

Kitty

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 4:30pm PST 
I understand this is hard, but I do need the dollar and cents of it to make it relevant in my research. And I am using cancer because it is so common in domestic pets, and it is a field I am familiar with.

If I made it into a poll would that help?

So would you be willing to spend:

under $700
$701- $1,000
$1,001-$2,000
$2,001 -$3,000
$3,001-$5,000
$5,001+
Whatever it takes money would not be a factor
Or I would not spend any money at all.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 4:39pm PST 
Kitty You are missing the point. It isn't a dollar ammount. It's a quality of life issue. I have already spent a lot on my 1 year old, and will likely spend a lot more. He's had 3 surgeries already. (Has eye problems, and will likely have another surgery in February.) But, he is young and the surgeries are pretty painless for him, and allow him to live without pain and irritation. If there is no guarantee, and the procedures would be incredibly painful or difficult, as I know Cancer treatments can be, I would have to consider those things. I would not make my decisions based on a financial issue, there are plenty of nonprofit organizations that can help financially as well as care credit if your vet wasn't willing to work with you. It is STRICTLY a quality of life issue for many dog owners. There is no monetary value on a life.

I think you may be on the wrong site for this type of information. Many of us (if not all of us) consider our pets to be family members. This is an insulting thread.

Edited by author Mon Dec 15, '08 4:41pm PST

[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 4:42pm PST 
Tough question, because it's not about the money. If I thought that it would save my pet and they wouldn't suffer too badly and end up with a decent quality of life, then I would spend whatever it took.

Having said that, I would not put a pet through chemo, so my answer is probably irrelevant. I have had loved ones go through chemo, and it was horrible and devastatingly painful for them, even being human and having the benefit of understanding context. frown

I think a better plan is to look at why cancer is so prevalent in pets and attack it from that angle, rather than focusing on fixing it once it happens through expensive treatments, etc.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 4:44pm PST 
If I knew it wouldn't cause my pet any unnecessary pain and could potentially save their life I'd spend every free penny I had.

However if it just prolonged their suffering I wouldn't be willing to spend a lot of money to keep them in pain.

I agree, this is not a monitary issue, it's a quality of life issue and could only be determined knowing all the circumstances and potential outcomes of the individual dog, the cancer they were fighting and the treatment involved.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 4:50pm PST 
Max, you are exactly right.

I spent over $29,000 trying to save Sammy. I would have spent much more if it would have helped him have quality of life.

It is quality, not quantity. There is no "dollar amount" you can put on the life of a loved one. They aren't cars. They are family members. Could you put a price on your own Mother's care? Many of us feel that way about our furry family members.

Edited by author Mon Dec 15, '08 4:50pm PST

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 5:07pm PST 
Cancer has nothing to do with this, though. You could have just as easily asked how much ransom you would pay to get your kidnapped pet back. Actually, that situation probably best represents what you are trying to ask. It's also pretty far removed from reality, to the point where most Dogsters would probably laugh you off the forums.

Instead, we're insulted that you would presume we place a monetary value on love. Cancer is terrible, terrible thing that presents all sorts of complications. There is never, NEVER an easy answer when it comes to such a severe disease, and many times the most loving thing to do is spend NO money at all. This past spring I spent over $2000 to find out if my otherwise healthy 6-year-old had cancer. Four years ago I chose to do nothing when my ailing 13-year-old had a lump, and the vet said the test to diagnose alone held an 80% chance of killing her.

Edited by author Mon Dec 15, '08 5:14pm PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 5:13pm PST 
There is no dollar amount... It would just depend on how much pain it would involve, and if he'd truly be "living" and be able to be a dog, not just a lump on the carpet. Plus, I've been in the position where the dog has looked at me and I could tell the dog was saying, "Its okay, its time for me to go." And we honored that. So money is not factor...Its about whether my pet could truly be happy alive.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12