GO!

Finding the right playmates for my dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Sasha

I'm a little- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 11:06am PST 
Based solely on this info and the dogs we have what would be a good playmate for them... whether it be by breed or personality type

We are not getting another dog any time soon but we are setting up playdates with dogs we know and want to know what breeds or breed mixes would be the best playmates for them based on what we know about different breeds

Zack is our 1 year old male toy poodle. He is 8 pounds and though he isn't dominant in our family (he knows my husband and I are in charge) he tends to take on the role of the leader around other dogs (including our other dog) and he doesn't take bullying from anyone...he will growl a little and then walk away. He doesn't like conflict but he stands up for himself. He is pretty active and high energy. He is superfast and can run circles around you before you can even blink...he is a sweetheart though but he is quite possesive over our other dog which could be problematic. Well not possessive really more protective (he does have a few issues with large dogs but once he gets to know a dog he is fine)

Our other dog Sasha is a female Jack Russell Terrier mix who is 10 months old....She is a very calm and friendly little girl. She is 22 pounds and tends to do okay with big and small dogs. She prefers to play with sturdier dogs that don't get hurt easy. She isn't real rough but if she gets too excited she does pounce a lot and does zoomies. Like I said she is very calm and she tends to be very submissive. She doesn't take bullying from Zack instead she bullies Zack back but with strange dogs if they were to get rough she would be hurt because she cowers and and lets do whatever she hates conflict so we have to be careful with that.

We know a few dogs that we are considering and then we know people with other breeds....we know someone with two boxers but those boxers I think play too rough and might hurt our poodle...we know someone with a lab and both dogs do okay with her but she did get aggravated with our poodle and bit his tail. And then we know tons of poodles and we know a Daschund.

Like I said we know people with other breeds and breed mixes as well and would be happy to hear what you think a good playmate for dogs with this personality would be...if not a breed maybe personality type.

thanks
[notify]
Sasha

I'm a little- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 11:08am PST 
They are meeting Addie this weekend lets hope that goes well
[notify]
Sasha

I'm a little- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 11:30am PST 
I want to find them playmates that won't get hurt by my Sasha but won't be too rough for my Zack
[notify]

Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 12:13pm PST 
I'm thinking that if Zack is usually protective of Sasha, you might want to start out with someone with one dog; and preferbally a small one. And, you're right on being wary of the boxers. I love, love, love boxers. But, they are a high energy breed. And, they're obviously bigger than a toy poodle and a JRT. And, if Zack and Sasha aren't used to playing with such a dog, they could get hurt. I've known boxers to hurt small and medium dogs unintentionally- they were just playing, being behaved, but- accidents happen. I think your best bet is to start out with a poodle or maybe the dachshund. I wouldn't recommend inviting a terrier over- zoomies + submissive dog + protectiveness + a terrer = disaster Trust me; I've been there. Do you have a friend with a dog that meets Zack and Sasha in the middle? I mean, do you have a friend with a dog that isn't as submissive as Sasha but isn't as dominant as Zack, either? If you do, that would be a great start. I'm thinking someone like my Sakura... she's a chihuahua/sheltie/aussie mix but the herding breed shows more. She's laid back but LOVES to play if the other dog wants to. So, she could chill with a submissive dog; but chase a dog that gets the zoomies. The herding breeds show more in her; so, maybe a herding breed? I'm trying to think of suggestions. That's all I have right now. Hope it helps some.
[notify]
Sasha

I'm a little- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 12:20pm PST 
Well this weekend they are meeting with my grandparents 12 pound Minature poodle/Bichon mix and she is two and very well behaved. She is very calm around other dogs (I just hope our dogs aren't a bad influence on her)

The dachshund is my husbands cousins dog and we are a little wary because he is tempermental and though he would do great with Sasha, him and Zack might butt heads at first

i have a friend with a fox terrier but she is a very very hyper dog

I'm thinking we will start with Addie and go from there...
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 12:23pm PST 
Maybe you shouldn't start with the doxie, then. A tempermental dog with Zack could be dangerous.

I think starting with the poodle/bichon mix is a good idea.

I hope it goes well.
[notify]
Sasha

I'm a little- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 12:35pm PST 
I do too. You see we went to the dog park for the last time the other day...too many irresponsible owners and we saw a dog almost get killed. So we decided that is not the best place to go and my dogs always came home with bad attitudes from the dog park so we are sticking strictly to arranged play dates

Edited by author Mon Nov 3, '08 12:35pm PST

[notify]