GO!

I ADOPTED your Dog today

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 2:25pm PST 
I am sure this has been posted before, but I saw it on another forum, and good not resist sharing it here as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY".

The one you left at the pound.

The one you had for seven years,

and no longer wanted around

I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY

Do you know he's lost weight?

Do you know he's scared and depressed, and has lost all his faith?

I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY

He had fleas and a cold,

but don't worry none,

You've unburdened your load.

I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY....

Were you having a baby or moving away?

Did you suddenly develop allergies

Or was there no reason he couldn' t stay?

I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY

He doesn't play or eat much.

He's very depressed, but he will learn again to trust.

And here he will stay.

He's found his forever home,

and a warm bed on which to lay.

And I w ill give him all that he could need.

Patience, love, security, and understanding,

hopefully he will forget your selfish deed.

I ADOPTED YOUR DOG TODAY

--Unknown Author--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ETA
How I understood the poem was that it was directly targeting the people who dump off their companion animals for various Frivolous reasons. The people who dump senior dogs, the people who dump off dogs because someone has "allergies" (I used quotes because I am not sure everyone who drops off their dogs actually have allergies OR explored ALL of the methods to help that situation.), or people who dump off a young Dog because it is no longer that cute puppy.

I also think a Shelter would have to be the most awful terrible LAST resort to take a pet. Can you even imagine the absolute terror of being left there. I don't think I can.

~~~
I really liked the poem, because unfortunately I know people (friends of friends of friends) who like to "rescue" pet store puppies, then when they have grown tired of them, take them to the shelter, usually with some lame excuse.

That's all, I wasn't saying that anyone here does it. I usually hold us Dogsters to a higher standardwink

Edited by author Sat Nov 1, '08 8:20pm PST

[notify]
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 4:01pm PST 
Hits home.

I just pulled the sweetest little peke, an owner release, whose only crime was getting mange.

He is safe in rescue tonight.
[notify]
Bilbo

You go Beagle- you NEVER go- back!

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 4:34pm PST 
Annoyed and touched.

Annoyed and touched.
[notify]

Bella

My mommy <3's- me!!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 5:03pm PST 
Mixed emotions. What is an owner supposed to do if they develop allergies? It probably was very hard for them to give the dog up. I know this is just a poem, but it means something to me because I almost had to give up my puppy and I didnt, but if I had that would make me a terrible person?! At the time, giving her up probably would have been the best thing for her because whoever adopted her could give her the help she needed. If you don't know what I am talking about look at Bella's page and you'll understand. So I am not sure how I feel about this poem or the views towards people having to give up a pet....frown
[notify]
Bilbo

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 5:03pm PST 
Exactly.

I gave a dog back to the shelter, that doesn't make me horrible. Doesn't mean I don't care.......But, nonetheless, beautiful.
[notify]
Jasmine

Missin' you

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 5:42pm PST 
I like the poem, but I did have to give Jasmine back to the shelter. I didn't do it to be mean or had a stupid explanation behind the reason. I did it for her well being and I wanted her to live a better life.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 7:07pm PST 
Bella, ...."whoever adopted her could give her the help she needed"

Yeah, that's what people tell themselves when they leave the dog at the shelter. But often, more often than you care to think about, "whoever adopts her" neglects or abuses her instead. And that's EVEN with shelters that have careful screening of adoptive homes. Believe me, I know, I have been burned many times as the person responsible for the adoptions. And I've seen it over and over again at other shelters where I've worked, including the most famous and well-run sanctuary in the country.

OF COURSE there are circumstances in life where a person has to give up a beloved pet. But, if you care about the pet at all you should find it a home with a family member or someone that you know personally. Someone that you can trust. Someone that would allow you to check on the welfare of your ex-pet. If you absolutely must give the pet to a complete stranger, at least you should screen the home, check references, visit the home in person, ask lots of questions, and have a contract that says you will take the pet back if for any reason the placement doesn't work out, and also have a follow-up plan worked out with the new owner.

You should care where your pet goes in the world and how it is treated. You do have that responsibility to your pet even if you can't keep it.

And yes there are some shelters that have rules that you must return the animal to the same shelter if you can't keep it, but they will usually work with you on a placement with a family member or trusted friend. And if you return a dog to the shelter, even a no-kill shelter, you will never know what harm may come to that dog at the hands of the next owner. You're just throwing the dice.

RE-HOMING a dog is a completely different thing than DUMPING a dog at the shelter. Re-homing means you take responsibility for that placement. Dumping means you think it should be someone else's responsibility.

IF ONLY it always turned out like this beautiful poem. The old owner casts the dog aside,... the adopter commits to love and care for the dog forever. Sometimes instead the adopter mistreats the dog. Or just turns out to have their own "circumstances" and dumps the dog back at the shelter again.
Bilbo

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 7:12pm PST 
So, what, I'm a bad person because I didn't want Maggie Mae to get in trouble constantly here -mom had no patience- and our shelter is...I'll keep back my choice word.

But, anyhoo, I won't argue. I'm tired of people saying I'm a bad person because I gave a dog back to the shelter. If I was a bad person, I would've sold Maggie Mae on Craigslist.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 7:43pm PST 
There are times that there is no alternative to placing the dog in the shelter.
I believe that a responsible owner will do all in their power to find the dog a good home without puting it in the shelter and only place it in the shelter as a last resort. We've had to put kittens and dogs in the shelter in the past. Once because we had to move to an apartment where they didn't allow dogs or cats and no one wanted the dog or cat or kittens that we had to find a good home for back then. At least the dog got adopted. It broke my heart to get have to give them up...but we did our best.

Edited by author Sat Nov 1, '08 7:45pm PST

[notify]
Handsome- Hanzo - ADOPTABLE!

why yes, I am- this handsome..

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 7:59pm PST 
ugh. It seems there is always a good enough reason to bring a dog to a concrete cell in isolation instead of making him the priority for once and finding him an alternative home yourself.

I am a shelter dog. I was pulled last Sunday. I can't run very fast on three old legs. I want to be near people, I'm not interested in leaving them. I come when I'm called - which for my breed is a rarity. And yet, somehow, I ended up as a stray. I got picked up by a humane officer. I got brought to the humane society. I was put in a kennel with nothing more than concrete to rest my sore old bones. I was given stale food and even though I am housebroken, was not let outside on a daily basis. It wasn't easy, and I got depressed, stopped eating, looked lost and confused. No one wanted an old, 3 legged, shut down Shiba Inu. I was forgotten and put on the short list for termination.

Until she came by. She already had 3 dogs, and I am not friendly with other dogs. She can barely keep up with the bills and her three dogs. Yet, they weren't good enough reasons to leave me behind. She's taking the time and making me a priority. I am special to someone now. She's finding me a home, I'm not on a deadline and I have a warm comfy bed in a warm loving home until I find a forever home.

Its really not that hard to earn the unconditional love you get from a dog or a cat - all you have to do is respect them as a living being, do what is best by them - take an extra few months before you have to move to a "no pets allowed" facility to find them a better home. If you have allergies, get some zyrtec and contact some breed rescues. It doesn't take much, and it will mean the world to your pet.
It is not shameful to surrender a dog to a shelter as a dead last resort after exhausting all the many alternatives, but it is despicable to unload a pet because you can't follow through on a committment.

All life is sacred, and its a shame this is not always remembered.

Edited by author Sat Nov 1, '08 8:05pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6