GO!

Switching over to adult food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Trixie

Your Majesty

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 9:43am PST 
I know that when you switch brands of food, you should slowly intermix the two foods so that the dog can adjust to the change, but is that true when using the same brand but just moving up to adult food. Just trying to figure out how much to buy of the puppy food for the last time.
[notify]
Geisha

Minion of- Destruction!!

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 7:51pm PST 
Hi there.
That's a good question. Does your pup have a sensitive tummy?
In our household we have to do a slow transition because both of us take a bit of time getting used to new foods and with our long, white fur it's no fun having a bum bath.
Yes, if it were up to me I would say do a slow transition, start with a 1/4 new with 3/4 puppy food then progress daily. Good luck.way to go
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 1:41pm PST 
Great question Trixie. We currently feed Orijen puppy and after this bag want to swith to adult food. So I was wondering the same. Do you have to transistion between the same brand but different taste or the adult/puppy formulas?shrug
[notify]

Trixie

I Love Mommy!

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 8:11pm PST 
On a similar note. . . how early is too early to switch to adult food? Mommy keeps buying me puppy food, but I insist on eating my sister's adult food, instead. I'm only 6 months old, when should mom officially switch me over?
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 8:24pm PST 
Trixie-you can switch over to adult food anytime. But check calcium and phosphorus levels. Calcium should be as close as possible to 1.5% and phosphorus .9%. As long as those levels are good you are fine. You only need to watch these levels until your pup is fully grown.

As far as switching from puppy to adult in the same brand you need to give us more information. What foods are these two. Then I can check the ingredients. Sometimes there isn't much difference whatsoever between the puppy and adult food.
[notify]
Trixie

I Love Mommy!

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 8:39pm PST 
Thank you for your help, Maya. Mommy will check those levels, my sister and I both eat the same brand, but mommy kept worrying because I wasn't eating the puppy food. You're probably right when you say that their probably isn't much difference other than the fact that the puppy food is smaller, and that doesn't seem to bother me!
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 7:12am PST 
Maya- Harley is currently eating Orijen puppy. I want to swith him to orijen adult. Does there need to be a transition?
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 8:16am PST 
Harley- It should be fine to just go ahead and switch. All of the ingredients are exactly the same in those two. Only real difference is a little more fat content in the puppy food. If your puppy is one with a sensitive stomach I'd transition just to be safe but if not go ahead and switch. Or you could just try half and half for a couple days then go full.
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 10:27am PST 
Thanks Maya. He doesn't have a sensitive stomach.So I will probably just make the switch.way to go
[notify]
Puppy

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 1:22am PST 
Feed your puppy 3-4 times a day. Puppies have different nutritional needs than adult dogs. Choose a puppy food that provides the appropriate balance of nutrients your puppy needs. Be sure they are getting the right amount of protein and calcium, and the proper amount of calories.

Ask your veterinarian when you should switch to adult food. Make sure the adult food you switch to is still a balanced diet with the first ingredient being meat.

Edited by moderator Wed Nov 5, '08 3:42pm PST

Edited by forums moderator