GO!

crazy running..

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bailey

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 2:20pm PST 
hi. I have a 1.5 year old chihuahua and he has always been really playful but lately it seems to be at an all time high. He had some problems with food about 3 months ago, I think he must have been allergic to something in it, so we switched to Royal Canin which so many people swear by. He is left out whenever I leave most days, has plenty of toys and when Im not home my roommate normally is. Lately he has been getting so amped up for no reason and running laps around our living room as fast as his paws can possibly take him. He seems to enjoy it, and it doesn't hurt anything but I'm just wondering if this is normal or what? thank you for any help.
[notify]
♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 2:28pm PST 
I know a 6 year old chi who does that, and has done that for years. I've also seen a lot of dachshunds who do that as well... they go into racing mode.

I think it's just a sudden burst of energy... my daughter does the same thing... she'll randomly get really hyper and run around and fall down and laugh and be really weird then just stop... My heeler also did that, come to think of it.
[notify]
Lacie

Big attitude for- such a little- pup

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 2:36pm PST 
Lacie does that sometimes too. She'll just run in circles or through the house as fast as she can. It's so funny. Happy dogs I guess. happy dance
[notify]

~Bear~

rescue a- bully....woof,- woof :-)

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 4:00pm PST 
Zoomies....it's a normal way to get rid of pent up energy. Does he get enough walks? If so, maybe he's just high energy.snoopysnoopy
[notify]
Bilbo

You go Beagle- you NEVER go- back!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 4:10pm PST 
I do that!

That happens when I feel happy, excited, or when I'm very, very bored....Oh, and this isn't Bilbo talking. big laugh

Now, for serious, plenty of chis do this. My uncle has a chi that does it, sometimes. I woudl suggest trying to give longer walks, and maybe more mental projects.
[notify]
Bailey in CT

Loving Life in- the North!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 4:20pm PST 
Bailey gets the zoomies at least once a day! Mostly after our afternoon walk, before dinner. She grabs a toy and off she goes around the family room. She usually drops the toy during her first lap and doesn't seem to notice...or care!
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 10:54am PST 
Harley gets the zoomies sometimes. It is very funny to watch. We have to be careful though cuz he will crash into you and knock you down BOL!big laugh
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 12:04pm PST 
ya it's normal. Do you play fetch with him and give him walks? Just because yur roomate is home when youre not doesn't mean he's gonna exercise himself. Most dogs will just lay around until you give them exercise.

And may ask : yuou mentioned so many people swear by Royal Canin? may I ask who? because if you check out the nutrition thread you may find that on Dogster most people feel differently. just thought you should be aware... When I got Laila I fed her something along the lines of RC and I'm glad I saw the forums.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 12:10pm PST 
Crazy Running...........AKA..........ZOOMIES!!!!!!!!!!! blue dog

Zoomies are the best........Nallah scoots her but very low to the ground when she "gets her zoomies on". Its hilarious to watch.

As long as he's getting enough exercise, its nothing to worry about. big grin
[notify]
Angel, CGC

Frisbee- please!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 7:12pm PST 
All three girls here get the zoomies frequently...so hilarious.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2